Loading Loading Always Loading

ITGuy1024

ITGuy1024

Once again I face the dreaded Loading screen when playing files. I got about 40 minutes in and then it all stopped working and wouldn't start up again it just says Loading.

Rebooted Emby Server and the Roku

I checked the server resources and the memory and cpu were not pegged.

server-63656659258.txt

ffmpeg-remux-eb4e6689-0e19-427c-a658-d32bbb41e375.txt

server-63656582400.txt

ffmpeg-remux-8a15948a-1965-4080-bec5-c6e5949ff74e.txt

Edited by ITGuy1024

Hi there, first, thank you for being a part of the beta testing team.

Second, please try lowering the roku in app quality setting. Try something like 10 Mbps and then you can work your way up from there. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Are you wireless?

That "Loading" screen is coming from the Roku player itself and would indicate that content is not being delivered to it fast enough.  That's why Luke suggested changing the bitrate to see if you could make it go away.  You should continue reducing the value until you can get playback without this happening and see where that leaves you.

The logs indicate the server is producing content plenty fast enough so I suspect the network.

ITGuy1024

It's a Roku Express so it is on the wireless. I checked the signal strength last night and it was very strong.

That wouldn't really explain why it worked perfect for 45 minutes then just stopped.

It sounds like network volatility. The wireless chips on these devices may have high peak speeds, but are also not very resilient and come with higher latencies. I would suggest doing as Ebr said and starting with a low in-app quality setting. Then raise as you see success. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

And wireless networks in general are subject to extreme volatility in performance due to any number of external factors.  A "very strong" signal doesn't really tell you that much I'm afraid.  

Moving things around and also configuring the wireless network to use different channels or frequencies can sometimes help.

Or, it could be as simple as something else on your wireless network started saturating it at that time, thus, slowing the delivery to your player.

Erik

Worth a check, if the media is transcoding and the temp folder is getting full that's the same result that I get, it just keeping saying loading and never plays. After a emby server restart all works again.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Worth a check, if the media is transcoding and the temp folder is getting full that's the same result that I get, it just keeping saying loading and never plays. After a emby server restart all works again.

I was thinking this but I would have thought the log would have reflected something.

ITGuy1024

I was thinking this but I would have thought the log would have reflected something.

There's 80+ GB left on the ssd. I'd hope that's not too low.

Erik

Maybe unrelated then. In my case I have a 250GB SSD, but it was filling up due to orphaned temporary files and getting the result you get. Upon a server restart it clears all those files and it all works again. So you have to check the drive space when you get the loading problem to see if that's it.

• 1 year later...
BTJenner

Maybe unrelated then. In my case I have a 250GB SSD, but it was filling up due to orphaned temporary files and getting the result you get. Upon a server restart it clears all those files and it all works again. So you have to check the drive space when you get the loading problem to see if that's it.

BTJenner

I'm getting the same thing. I have been using emby for months no problems (on my roku) now it will play the first 30 seconds and then go to a loading screen. I think there's files that need to be cleaned.

Can I access that via my roku?

How do I check the drive space?

How do I do a server restart?

It seems to be working fine from my computer just have issues on the roku.

Thanks in advance.

Erik

@@BTJenner

-No, the Roku cannot restart the server software at this time

-If you check the server dashboard (through a web browser), scroll down and you can see where the path that the "transcoding-temp" folder is located, then just check that drive for how much is used.

-You just need to restart the emby server (software or computer restart will do the same thing) and emby will self clean any files within the "transcoding-temp" folder. 

- I'm going to assume when using the computer you are using "Emby Theater" so pretty much all files direct play and no extra files are created, using the Roku, files are often created in the "transcoding-temp" folder.

See if any of that helps, I find emby is much better at removed old transcoding-temp files then when i made those posts. However, even as of today, i had 20Gb of orphaned files from the last 2 weeks. (as i haven't restarted emby in a bit)

I'm getting the same thing. I have been using emby for months no problems (on my roku) now it will play the first 30 seconds and then go to a loading screen. I think there's files that need to be cleaned.

Thanks in advance.

@@BTJenner can we please look at an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

BTJenner

@@BTJenner

-No, the Roku cannot restart the server software at this time

-If you check the server dashboard (through a web browser), scroll down and you can see where the path that the "transcoding-temp" folder is located, then just check that drive for how much is used.

-You just need to restart the emby server (software or computer restart will do the same thing) and emby will self clean any files within the "transcoding-temp" folder.

- I'm going to assume when using the computer you are using "Emby Theater" so pretty much all files direct play and no extra files are created, using the Roku, files are often created in the "transcoding-temp" folder.

See if any of that helps, I find emby is much better at removed old transcoding-temp files then when i made those posts. However, even as of today, i had 20Gb of orphaned files from the last 2 weeks. (as i haven't restarted emby in a bit)

Thanks for the reply I don't have a computer at the moment. Can I access the "transcoding temp file" on my phone?