Can't stream anything to Chromecast

Der_Judge

Der_Judge

Hi everyone,

I just installed Emby to a Linux system in my home network. I succeeded to access it using the Android app. But when I'm trying to utilize my Chromecast in the same 5GHz WLAN, the emby screen appears on the Chromecast (Ready to cast - Select your media in Emby and play it here), but nothing happens when I select any content. Really - nothing; nothing starts to play, the Chromecast screen does not change and I do not see anything starting on the Android Device. I also do not get any error message shown.

The same thing happens for MP3 Audio files and any Video files.

When I disable the streaming, everything works fine on the same Android Device.

I tried it on two entirely different phones (Moto G5+ and MI4S); both have the same issues.

The Server is v3.3.1.0

Is such a behavior maybe already known? What can I try/check/provide as an info?

Thanks everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
VVander

Since the latest updates I have the same issue. Chromecast streaming for media just seems completely broken, although the media descriptions seem to show up sometimes. Here's a recent log: https://pastebin.com/YVe37c75

Looks like a few errors popping up that are causing this. I know a few weeks ago it was working... Let me know if I can provide more info to help fix this!

Since the latest updates I have the same issue. Chromecast streaming for media just seems completely broken, although the media descriptions seem to show up sometimes. Here's a recent log: https://pastebin.com/YVe37c75

Looks like a few errors popping up that are causing this. I know a few weeks ago it was working... Let me know if I can provide more info to help fix this!

Hi, you're running on an older version of emby server. Can you update to the latest?

• Like 1

VVander

Ah good catch and thanks for the quick reply! It looks like the server settings UI reports being up to date (see attached), but of course you're right that when I check the website it's not the latest release version. Automatic updating is definitely enabled in the settings, and manually restarting doesn't seem to fix it either. Is auto updating not working on Linux?

I'm about to hit the sack, but I can try updating manually tomorrow to see if that helps the Chromecast issue.

post-298593-0-58809500-1522035379_thumb.png

Ok, thanks for the info. I would suggest installing the latest from the website. We redesigned our packages right around the time of the version you have, and there were changes to update notifications along the way. As a result, if you skipped over the next update then at some point along the way you may have been cut off from notifications (due to changes). This can be corrected by manually installing the latest. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Der_Judge

Hi there, we're sorry to hear about this. Can you please attach the emby server log? You can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks. Also, when you connect to your server with the android app, are you connecting by ip address or computer name?

Hi Luke,

I'm very sorry that I posted this question and then did not reply for over 2 weeks. This will not happen again.

Let me add a few information:

I kind of miss explained the issue: It does not happen to me only when I'm controlling the Emby Server with my Android device, but also when I'm using the Web Frontend in any Browser.

My Server version is latest stable 3.3.1.0 and it's running on Linux.

The attached log should reflect the following actions:

I connected to my Web Frontend by navigating to http://app.emby.media/ and login in there. Then I selected my one and only server available, which lead me to the web frontend of my Emby server.
Then, I started to listen to some music via the browser - worked like a charm!
Then, I clicked the Chromecast - Icon in the upper right corner and found only my system ; true - I forgot to switch on my TV  :rolleyes:  A few seconds after I switched it on, my Chromecast became available.
I then selected that destination and immediately, it showed the "Ready to cast - Select your media in Emby and play it here" screen. But again, just like with the android controls already - nothing.
I ticked the "debug log" box in the logs, made all that again and then downloaded the logfile.

EmbyLog.txt

Edited by Der_Judge

VVander

For what it's worth on my end, updating manually to the latest Emby server version (Linux) let me play content again via chromecast. However, the stream for my movie cut out ~15 mins before the end, and although I could start playing again, the remote controls via the Android app didn't allow me to skip forward to where I had left off (or anywhere in the movie, even skipping to a time I knew worked). I need to spend some more time debugging, but I don't think I have the same issue as Der_Judge at this point, so I can make a new topic when I have more info. 

Edited by VVander

Hi Luke,

I'm very sorry that I posted this question and then did not reply for over 2 weeks. This will not happen again.

Let me add a few information:

I kind of miss explained the issue: It does not happen to me only when I'm controlling the Emby Server with my Android device, but also when I'm using the Web Frontend in any Browser.

My Server version is latest stable 3.3.1.0 and it's running on Linux.

The attached log should reflect the following actions:

I connected to my Web Frontend by navigating to http://app.emby.media/ and login in there. Then I selected my one and only server available, which lead me to the web frontend of my Emby server.
Then, I started to listen to some music via the browser - worked like a charm!
Then, I clicked the Chromecast - Icon in the upper right corner and found only my system ; true - I forgot to switch on my TV  :rolleyes:  A few seconds after I switched it on, my Chromecast became available.
I then selected that destination and immediately, it showed the "Ready to cast - Select your media in Emby and play it here" screen. But again, just like with the android controls already - nothing.
I ticked the "debug log" box in the logs, made all that again and then downloaded the logfile.

There is no activity from Chromecast in this log. It sounds like although your mobile device can reach your Chromecast, your Chromecast cannot reach your Emby Server.

According to your server log, it looks like you're connecting to your server using a host name and it's possible that Chromecast cannot resolve that. Try connecting to your server via ip address instead.

• 11 months later...
Nova2727

me too,im trying to stream from android phone and cant find server,do i need a premium account to stream from phones

• 2 weeks later...
blinkiz

Am having the same problem since a couple of months back. Another streaming app (not emby related) stopped to work the same time.

Connecting from Android to the chromecast works but trying to press play and nothing happens.

I checked my emby log file and it does not seem like the chromecast is even trying to connect. Am a bit lost how to troubleshoot this. I connected my phone and looked after keywords emby or chromecast from "adb logcat" but did not find anything relevant.

The weird part is at home Android Emby and chromecast works but not and my office.

• 2 weeks later...

Am having the same problem since a couple of months back. Another streaming app (not emby related) stopped to work the same time.

Connecting from Android to the chromecast works but trying to press play and nothing happens.

I checked my emby log file and it does not seem like the chromecast is even trying to connect. Am a bit lost how to troubleshoot this. I connected my phone and looked after keywords emby or chromecast from "adb logcat" but did not find anything relevant.

The weird part is at home Android Emby and chromecast works but not and my office.

hi @@blinkiz, does your emby server dashboard display the correct remote address? Is the Chromecast that you're trying to cast to in your office?

• 2 weeks later...
maxleonca

Hi,

I'm having the same kind of issue.

I have Emby Server running in a container, I can watch content on the PC on the Kindle tablet, the Android phone and on any computer in my network; but I cannot cast from any of the Android devices to the Chromecast.

I just get the Ember logo on the screen and then I cannot playback anything.  On the Andoid Mobile, the play button seems to be disabled when Casting is enabled.

Emby Server version: 4.0.2.0

Server log bellow:
https://pastebin.com/dxA1e197

Hi,

I'm having the same kind of issue.

I have Emby Server running in a container, I can watch content on the PC on the Kindle tablet, the Android phone and on any computer in my network; but I cannot cast from any of the Android devices to the Chromecast.

I just get the Ember logo on the screen and then I cannot playback anything.  On the Andoid Mobile, the play button seems to be disabled when Casting is enabled.

Emby Server version: 4.0.2.0

Server log bellow:

https://pastebin.com/dxA1e197

Hi there, does your Emby Server dashboard display the correct local and remote addresses?

blinkiz

Hello @@Luke. Thank you for doing a great job listening to us in the community. Your work here on the forum creates a great wiki of topics when someone has a problem.

Am sorry I have not responded earlier. My setup is that emby is running in a docker container in a server not located at home or work. This means I always connect to the external url listed in the Emby dashboard. It works of course.

At home my chromecast work but at my workplace it does not. I can not come up with a solution on my own why it is like this. YouTube, Netflix and other chromecast software works great on all locations so far.

maxleonca

@@Luke, now that you mention it on the dashboard the LAN access shows the IP of the container which is not routeable.
I configured a maclan network and now it shows an IP in my network and works as expected.

Thank you!!!!

blinkiz

Oh, I tried today to chromecast from app.emby.media on my computer with Google Chrome and that had the same failure as trying from Android emby app. Nothing happens when I press play. Hmm, interesting. Maybe that can be easier to troubleshoot then a Android phone.

maxleonca

@blnkiz I had the same problem, look into configuring a macvlan for Emby, you an assign an IP within your own LAN and that will fix the problem.
You can find the details here:
https://docs.docker.com/network/macvlan/
I also recommend creating a docker-compose file so you don't have to remember all the flags on the run command in the future.

Cheers

blinkiz

172.16.26.0/23 is the subnet in my workplace where chromecast playing is not possible. 192.168.88.0/24 is the network at home where chromecast playing is possible.

Emby docker container is connected to two internal networks, 172.19.0.0/24 and 172.23.0.0/24 where the last network is managed by a reverse proxy called Traefik. This means I always communicate with external URL https://emby.example.com:443 which is also visible in Emby dashboard.

Edited by blinkiz

• 3 weeks later...
blinkiz

I have have the same problem using Chrome browser and trying to stream something on the chromecast. So it is not only on Android. Any recommendations how to troubleshoot this?