Samsung KS 8000 No Subs at all

AYarter

AYarter

Hello:

I'm having no luck getting external subs to work on my KS 8000. Even emby downloaded subs don't display -- only embedded ones do.  I've tried several srt files, including the emby downloading service.

BTW:
Thanks for all the hard work. Emby is really the best in class and has made my TV everything that I want it to be.

Log.txt

AYarter

@Shocker  This is exactly the behavior that I'm seeing. It see,ms that'd  an old post, so I'm guessing no subd movies for me for awhile =(

• 2 weeks later...
Nightreaver

I have to say, that I'm having the same issue for a while now... maybe 1/2 month.

Before it was working nicely, now i always have to embed to make it work :(

• 2 weeks later...

Please try again with the next release of the app, which will be 1.0.40. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
AYarter

@@Luke Is there anything that I can do to help?

The file in question is HEVC with DCA audio. Subtitle is named appropriately and is recognized by Emby. Nothing displays.

Plex has a similar issue where DCA cannot be sent with streamed subtitles. Third party apps have worked around by 'downloading' the subtitles.

So I guess this is a platform defect then right? That's what we tried to suggest in another topic but of course we were immediately challenged on that with everyone saying emby problem, emby problem.

Yes I suppose we can try to work around it but at some point it ought to be reported to samsung.

AYarter

@@Luke

Plex transcodes the audio to aac. It works from a USB key though. A third party app managed to work by not streaming the subtitles, but downloading. Transcoding doesn't work with 4k HEVC -- it kills my poor supermicro =(

This is what is said in the support thread:

With regards DCA to AAC audio transcoding when subtitles added, this was looked into by the development team and this explains what and why

• Enabling subtitles requires playback through Direct Streaming or Transcoding. We intend to support soft subtitles without direct stream
  • Samsung uses HLS Protocol for Direct Stream/Transcoding
  • DCA audio is not supported over HLS
  • An alternative codec will be used to work with HLS and this is why the DCA is transcoded to AAC

We do not believe users would detect audible difference between DCA and AAC

So I am afraid this is what it is - because subtitles currently need Direct Stream / Transcoding.

gyrene2083

I'm having the same issue on a Samsung UN65KU7500. I was able to watch subbed Anime about two weeks ago, now I can't. So, I installed Emby on AppleTV to see if it would work, and it did. So for the time being I have an out. 

If you need help testing let me know, I'll help if you need me to. 

gyrene2083

Ok after further playing, I downloaded the latest firmware for the Samsung, just came out 10 Apr 18 v1220.6, removed the emby app and still couldn't get it to work. So I figured I would try something else. I enabled the DLNA, and went to the Emby folders, into the Anime, which has the .ass files in the mkv container, and that seemed to work without a problem, with every anime show I threw at it, and movie. 

I hope that helps someone. 

• 4 weeks later...