Channel Names keep reverting to "Unknown"

cadill

cadill

Hi All,

I have Emby streaming Live TV from an HDHomeRun box (quattro).

The problem I'm having is that the channel names keep reverting to "unknown" for all channels.  I've gone through and set their names several times in Emby, but I keep losing them again.

See this screenshot: https://www.screencast.com/t/cRt8iT9fFE

Is this an Emby issue or an HDHomeRun issue?

Thanks for your help!

C in Boston

Hi, this is strange. So I assume you're using the emby metadata editor to do this? Do the channels have names in the HDHR web interface?

cadill

Hi Luke, thanks for your help.

I hope you are able to see my screenshot:  https://www.screencast.com/t/cRt8iT9fFE

When I click "Live TV" and then "Channels", all the channels say "Unknown" for their names.

I can click the three-dot menu and then click "Edit Info".  This lets me add a name for the channel.  This seems to work for a little while, but then once in awhile, I'm not sure how often, all of the channels revert back to "Unknown".

I don't mind having to add the channel names once, but I'd like to make sure Emby actually saves them so I only have to go through the process once.

I hope what I'm describing makes sense.  Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Hi, this is strange. So I assume you're using the emby metadata editor to do this? Do the channels have names in the HDHR web interface?

kanipek

Hi Luke, thanks for your help.

I hope you are able to see my screenshot:  https://www.screencast.com/t/cRt8iT9fFE

When I click "Live TV" and then "Channels", all the channels say "Unknown" for their names.

I can click the three-dot menu and then click "Edit Info".  This lets me add a name for the channel.  This seems to work for a little while, but then once in awhile, I'm not sure how often, all of the channels revert back to "Unknown".

I don't mind having to add the channel names once, but I'd like to make sure Emby actually saves them so I only have to go through the process once.

I hope what I'm describing makes sense.  Thanks again for your help.

Chris

When you run a channel scan in the HDHR setup app or with the web interface: http://x.x..x.x/lineup.html (fill in x.x.x.x with the IP of your Tuner(s))

Do your channels have names? See my screen shots

post-127390-0-04311600-1520899927_thumb.jpg

post-127390-0-36106500-1520900011_thumb.jpg

cadill

Thanks for sticking with me.

My channel names all say "Unknown".  See my attached screenshot.

5aa7e8755c2c8_HDHomeRunChannels.pngChris

When you run a channel scan in the HDHR setup app or with the web interface: http://x.x..x.x/lineup.html (fill in x.x.x.x with the IP of your Tuner(s))

Do your channels have names? See my screen shots

kanipek

Thanks for sticking with me.

My channel names all say "Unknown".  See my attached screenshot.

Chris

Wow. Never seen this.

What type of TV are you getting? CATV? OTA?

Have you used the HDHR setup program to Configure the tuners? First tab "configuration" choices are CableCard, Digital Cable and Digital Antenna. Is your BDA compatibility mode set to default?

Once you have verified/setup the proper configuration I would choose the proper tab - CableCard, Digital Cable or Digital Antenna - select the tuner in the pull down and try a channel scan from there.

Are you able to view any of the channels??

cadill

Hi!

Let's see...  I have pasted screenshots of my HDHR setup tabs.  I'm using digital cable TV with BDA compatibility set to "Auto".

The channels scan in OK, I can watch all the channels, and Emby can stream them, no problem.  I just can't _name_ them, because Emby will not retain the names.

Hope tI'm describing this well...

C

5aa8049e472ca_HDHR1.png5aa804aabb0bb_HDHR2.png5aa804b94f21b_HDHR3.png5aa804c4e7a71_HDHR4.png

Wow. Never seen this.

What type of TV are you getting? CATV? OTA?

Have you used the HDHR setup program to Configure the tuners? First tab "configuration" choices are CableCard, Digital Cable and Digital Antenna. Is your BDA compatibility mode set to default?

Once you have verified/setup the proper configuration I would choose the proper tab - CableCard, Digital Cable or Digital Antenna - select the tuner in the pull down and try a channel scan from there.

Are you able to view any of the channels??

kanipek

Hi!

Let's see...  I have pasted screenshots of my HDHR setup tabs.  I'm using digital cable TV with BDA compatibility set to "Auto".

The channels scan in OK, I can watch all the channels, and Emby can stream them, no problem.  I just can't _name_ them, because Emby will not retain the names.

Hope tI'm describing this well...

C

I am stumped.

Do you have channel names/info when you plug directly into a TV? Who is your CATV provider?

I wouldn't bother editing the channel info in Emby - It will get overwritten with every guide update.  At some point they will include more robust channel management built into Emby, but no one will tell us when.

Edited by kanipek

kanipek

I do have several channels that come up "unknown" for me these are all Music Choice channels (which I don't use and disable them) and a handful of SD versions of network channels (also unused and disabled).

Can you receive CATV on your TV without using a converter/descrambler box?

is there a way to name them in HD Homerun so that the web interface will report the names?

kanipek

is there a way to name them in HD Homerun so that the web interface will report the names?

There was for many many years. That is how I got WMC to auto map there as well. But of course SiliconDust took away that ability right around the time the Prime came out.

Where does Emby get the data for the channels from? There is still an XML file generated (attached). Which could be edited with the correct channel info, but if Emby is querying the json lineup from the tuner(s) that wouldn't be of any use.

CableCard.xml and DigitalAntenna.xml can also be generated depending on the tuner type and/or config.

Digital Cable.xml

Edited by kanipek

We get the data from the HDHR, and yes it's possible that changes in Emby will be constantly overwritten by hdhr data. It's something we need to look at when we revamp our channel management.

cadill

I feel better about this knowing that I probably wasn't doing anything wrong, then.

I have been in touch with the HDHomeRun folks, and they say there is no way to set the channel names manually in their configuration.

Sounds like maybe "Unknown" should be a special case that is not allowed to overwrite the channel name once it is set in Emby.

Looking forward to the fix at some point in the future.

Thanks for your help today!

We get the data from the HDHR, and yes it's possible that changes in Emby will be constantly overwritten by hdhr data. It's something we need to look at when we revamp our channel management.

• 4 months later...
mosipd

I just want to add that I'm also having this issue but without the "unknown" channel names. In my case the channel names from the HDHomeRun get truncated. Unfortunately, every time the guide refreshes it seems to also refresh the names, reverting back to what's on the HDHomeRun. The same also applies to my IPTV tuners, but thankfully I can rename those in the m3u file. It would be great if Emby could fix this once they roll out the updates to the Live TV system, which I hope is coming soon! :)

• 1 year later...
lurch9366

+1 on this. I finally upgraded to win 10 and am using emby exclusively for live/recorded tv. Is there a fix for this in the pipe?  would using schedules direct guide data provider change this? Thanks for all the emby team does to keep us entertained!!

Edited by lurch9366

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 2:39 PM, lurch9366 said:

Any updates on this? 

Not yet but we are working hard on it.

• 2 months later...
lurch9366

I just tested this to see if it has been updated and they still reverted to unknown at the next guide refresh. Is this in line for first quarter next year? 

If you need a temp solution and can put in the time to rename channels again I can help you.

In a nutshell I've got a small python program that will query the HDHomeRun and create an M3U file from it.
You can then edit the channel name in the M3U file.

Then in Emby instead of setting up an HDHomeRun tuner you setup an M3U tuner and point to the file.
It works just fine as Emby is still using the URLs of the HDHomeRun for each channel.

ONLY downside I know of is that this won't update automatically if new channels are added or moved in your lineup which probably doesn't happen often anyway.

If interested let me know.