Unable to find next up episode

capitaineflam25

capitaineflam25

I’ve watched all 3 seasons of a show, and now i’m watching again season 1 so i mark it « unwatched ».

But in this situation the « Play next » button returns an error (See capture)

I know it’s not the most frequent situation but maybe there is a solution that work in both cases ?

post-280061-0-06291300-1520704000_thumb.jpeg

Edited by capitaineflam25

For the current implementation of Next Up, you have to have all subsequent episodes marked unwatched.

IMO I'm not sure watched status should matter.  Your next up episode should just be the one after the last one you watched.

capitaineflam25

IMO I'm not sure watched status should matter.  Your next up episode should just be the one after the last one you watched.

That would be a smart way to handle it.

For the current implementation of Next Up, you have to have all subsequent episodes marked unwatched.

Not sure I agree.

Some may argue it should show the next UNWATCHED episode regardless of season.

Imagine setting up a brand new recording of a series like one of the Law and Orders.  Often times it's not really that important to watch the episodes in a specific order and we have no control over broadcasting order.  HOWEVER, it's nice to have a mechanism to use to watch all UNWATCHED episodes.

Definitely two schools of thought on this and I'm not sure which is best.

Not sure I agree.

Some may argue it should show the next UNWATCHED episode regardless of season.

Imagine setting up a brand new recording of a series like one of the Law and Orders.  Often times it's not really that important to watch the episodes in a specific order and we have no control over broadcasting order.  HOWEVER, it's nice to have a mechanism to use to watch all UNWATCHED episodes.

Definitely two schools of thought on this and I'm not sure which is best.

If the series isn't truly serial (Things like "American Experience" are a good example) then "Next Up" really doesn't fit so well as you probably just want to see all unwatched episodes and pick one.

It would also be nice to be able to mark a series as "non-sequential" and then have it treated differently in this regard.  But, one thing at a time...

For truly serial series, I personally don't think watched status is relevant because the "next" one is always the one after the last one you watched (IMO).  The way we do it now makes re-watching old series too difficult.

CBers

Just my two cents, but I have been watching the latest season (#22) of Silent Witness, but still had seasons 12-19 to watch.

Until I had watched all of the episodes in season 22, nothing previous to that was in Next Up.

When I had watched all of season 22, then season 12, episode 1 was in Next Up. 

Just my two cents, but I have been watching the latest season (#22) of Silent Witness, but still had seasons 12-19 to watch.

Until I had watched all of the episodes in season 22, nothing previous to that was in Next Up.

When I had watched all of season 22, then season 12, episode 1 was in Next Up. 

So I guess that is another non-sequential example?  For now, I'm saying that is the exception and I'd like to see improvements there but, first, I'd like to see us improve the rule which is watching truly serial series.

In that scenario - a truly serial series, do you think Next Up should be:

1) The next unwatched episode only if all subsequent episodes are also unwatched OR

2) The episode after the last one you watched regardless of watched status of any of the episodes.

CBers

I think it should be the next UNWATCHED episode in sequential order, but then again, others may have a different opinion :)

But that contradicts with the way it worked as I described above, which was perfect for me, as I wanted to watch the latest season, as that was what was currently airing, and then go back to watch the old seasons.

See, even I have different needs based on what I'm watching.

• Like 1

capitaineflam25

I tried to sum up graphically the situations.

post-280061-0-11697500-1520787427_thumb.png

What fo you think of "Next up" = "First unwatched of the last season containing unwatched episodes"

(Find attached my XLS file if you want to correct/enhanced the cases)

emby_unwatched.zip

Edited by capitaineflam25

What fo you think of "Next up" = "First unwatched of the last season containing unwatched episodes"

Still leaves you with the situation that Next Up will never work when re-watching a series (unless you mark them all unwatched first).  IOW - your "B" case only works when you manually mark items you have watched as unwatched again.

capitaineflam25

You're right, i was considering that you need to mark unwatched the season you want to see again. This is what i actually do : having the "watched/unwatched badge" on the poster is very appreciable to me.

You're right, i was considering that you need to mark unwatched the season you want to see again. This is what i actually do : having the "watched/unwatched badge" on the poster is very appreciable to me.

My point is, I don't think I should have to modify the state of my system (and basically lie to it) in order to get the next up functionality.  If I'm watching a serialized series, the episode I want to watch next 99% of the time will be the one after the one I just watched - regardless of if this is the first or 50th time I've watched it.

But, if no one else feels that way then that's fine and we can leave it as it is :).

capitaineflam25

If I'm watching a serialized series, the episode I want to watch next 99% of the time will be the one after the one I just watched - regardless of if this is the first or 50th time I've watched it.

If it can be tested in a beta we should validate it in real situation.

Why do we need to pick one or the other?  Why not support both?

Play next could play the next episode in the timeline regardless of watched status.

Play unwatched would play the first episode (regardless of season) that is available.

This would give maximum flexibility for everyone!

BTW, we should also add a previous/next episode arrow to the episode screen so you don't have to backup.

BTW, we should also add a previous/next episode arrow to the episode screen so you don't have to backup.

You don't have to back up.  All the episodes for the season are right there on that screen.  You can navigate to any one you wish...

• 3 months later...
Reikonyx

So I guess that is another non-sequential example?  For now, I'm saying that is the exception and I'd like to see improvements there but, first, I'd like to see us improve the rule which is watching truly serial series.

In that scenario - a truly serial series, do you think Next Up should be:

1) The next unwatched episode only if all subsequent episodes are also unwatched OR

2) The episode after the last one you watched regardless of watched status of any of the episodes.

What purpose does this argument serve?

My point is, I don't think I should have to modify the state of my system (and basically lie to it) in order to get the next up functionality.  If I'm watching a serialized series, the episode I want to watch next 99% of the time will be the one after the one I just watched - regardless of if this is the first or 50th time I've watched it.

But, if no one else feels that way then that's fine and we can leave it as it is  :).

With the current implementation I have to lie to my system to get it to function the way i would like. I have to mark episodes unwatched that i have watched in order for episodes i want to watch to show in Next Up. So one way or the other this function should get looked at. 

I believe next unwatched episode (no additional arguments) is probably the best approach. I'm coming from plex so maybe i'm biased as this is how they do it. New episodes have their own section as it is. Next Up, IMO, should be used for the next unwatched video in the series you were watching.

Another thought, what about allowing multiple instances of next up for the same show if there is more than one partially watched season? If it continues sorting by the most recently watched placed in front then unimportant seasons would fall off anyways

Edited by Reikonyx