Download location downloaded media

xbmcgotham

xbmcgotham

Hi,

Where does emby save the downloaded media files? They are not in the download folder or dedicated folders like music or movies on an android device. 

It would be a good practice if the downloaded files could be saved in the default locations like music or movies within the android OS. Currently it seems that the app will only download them to a dedicated emby app location which only allows for the files to be played within the emby app. This prevents me from selecting multiple files and play them from a playlist. Have to select a song in emby app each time one is finished at the moment. Having the files available in the general android locations will allow for playing them together in mixed playlist. Is more user friendly and increases the experience.

Let me know how to set this up.

You can customize the location under offline sync settings. The default location is next to the logs folder.

• 7 months later...
larsonDigital

Hi Luke,

Can you tell me where to find that setting?  I'm on Android mobile app trying to find how to set where the files are stored.  Right now I can only find where you can tell it to use internal or external storage under Settings > Downloads.  If I understand xbmcgotham's inquiry and your answer, there is a way to designate the folder.  I'd like my offline music to download to the external MicroSD card in the Music folder.  Is this possible?

Thanks!

James

In the latest update to the app you can only select internal or external. The external folder that is used is the app's designated storage area on the sd card. This is a concession made to make the download process more stable and resolve a number of outstanding issues with it. Thanks.

larsonDigital

Okay, thanks!  It would be nice to be able to see the media in the appropriate media folder, but at least I know it's using my expansion card and not my main memory.  :)

James

notla49285

@@Luke I have set up a tablet recently and couldn't see External as an option? The drop-down was there but when I pressed on it, nothing happened, as if External wasn't an option / there was no SD card installed. There was definitely a card installed as I'd already set it as the storage location for a couple of other apps.

@@Luke I have set up a tablet recently and couldn't see External as an option? The drop-down was there but when I pressed on it, nothing happened, as if External wasn't an option / there was no SD card installed. There was definitely a card installed as I'd already set it as the storage location for a couple of other apps.

What device and version of android?

notla49285

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5" (2018 model) running Android 8.1.0

I don't have the device to hand at the moment so can't check exact Emby version but it was installed from the Play Store yesterday

Edited by notla49285

aptalca

In the latest update to the app you can only select internal or external. The external folder that is used is the app's designated storage area on the sd card. This is a concession made to make the download process more stable and resolve a number of outstanding issues with it. Thanks.

That is too bad, because on chromeos, the sdcard is not displayed as an option in that dropdown, but it was possible to select the external (sd card) in the location picker. Now I only have internal as an option

• 3 months later...

I've selected external on my tablet on the emby app and the files seem to be downloading, but where on the sd card are the files put? I can't seem to find the folder, what's the path?

Unfortunately that prevents 3rd party apps to see the files.

I tried as root to create a symlink to the "default" media folders. Unfortunately due to filesystem weird magic it does not work.

Has someone succeeded to 'link' the files/folder to the default media folders in any way?

I've selected external on my tablet on the emby app and the files seem to be downloading, but where on the sd card are the files put? I can't seem to find the folder, what's the path?

it's in the app's dedicated data folder. If you click onto the detail screen for a downloaded video, it will show you the path.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Dizzy49

Sorry to bring this back up but I'm trying to figure out where the files are stored.  I have Internal selected and there are no details on the downloads that display any kind of location info.  I tried to use File Manager but it's not finding them as videos, or marking them as large files.

Really I need to know how big the files are to see if I can go a little more on the bitrate.

Thx

Hi, Try clicking directly on the movie or show and scroll to the bottom and you should see the path listed under Media Info.

Dizzy49
5 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, Try clicking directly on the movie or show and scroll to the bottom and you should see the path listed under Media Info.

I swear I did exactly that before I posted this and it wasn't there!  Now it is.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough since it had just transferred over.  Well, bonus is that the file size is listed right there too!  :D

Thanks!

• Like 1