Setup and guide issues

JEM_Family

JEM_Family

Hi all - I am brand new to internet streaming TV as I finally got sick of DirecTV and came across a internet based m3u provider which I have been using on my Smart TVs with the Smart TV app. However, I came across this Emby app and started to do a little research and end up downloading it for the recording capabilities that it offers. I have now set up my account and entered by m3u url in the tuner section on the Emby Server which I downloaded on my Mac computer, but when I downloaded the XML TV guide it does not show any program data in the guide.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me understand what I have to do to finish setting up my system so that I could see all the program information on my guide. Also, I wanted to know what else I needed to do in order to start recording shows. It seems like I need to purchase an external hard drive and sign up for the Premiere membership in order to share the recording capabilities to the rest of my devices....Is this correct?

Hi there, welcome. Can you try refreshing the guide in the emby server dashboard? If the issue remains after that, please attach the emby server log. you can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

As far as hard drive, you can configure the recordings to go anywhere you like, so yes that could be on an external drive, or internal drive if there's enough space, or even a network share. And yes you will need Emby Premiere for the DVR feature. Thanks !

JEM_Family

Hi Luke,

I am in the process of refreshing the guide. It is a little over 90% complete so I will let you know when it is done.

Thanks for the quick response.

JEM_Family

Alright so the guide finished refreshing, but still no program data in the guide...I clicked on the link that you sent to figure out how to send you the log.

When I go to the right place in my Emby Service and click on the last log up at the top....It takes me to a large file...Do you want me to just copy and paste the link on a message here or should I send it to you I a more private format?

JEM_Family

I have always been a windows guys and we just replaced our computer with a new Apple computer. For some reason when I use this mouse pad that they have instead of an actual mouse, it doesn't give me the option to save to a text file. 

New toys always find a way to make you feel stupid. Help please!

mastrmind11

I have always been a windows guys and we just replaced our computer with a new Apple computer. For some reason when I use this mouse pad that they have instead of an actual mouse, it doesn't give me the option to save to a text file. 

New toys always find a way to make you feel stupid. Help please!

Been a while, but if you 2 finger click you should get the right click menu.  If not, command+a selects all, command+c copies, command+v pastes.  I'm mostly positive.

Are you sure you actually added the xml tv provider? the log seems to suggest that you've setup the m3u, but not the guide data.

JEM_Family

As far as I can tell from the Dashboard, yes I added the 6462 XML TV guide. Check out the attached screenshot.

post-292695-0-66412700-1520642848_thumb.png

JEM_Family

Hi Luke - Sorry for the late response here. Not sure what you mean by your last question.

I have the url for my m3u added in the tuner section and the XML TV 6462 url added in the guide section.

Is there something else that I am supposed to do?

kanipek

Hi Luke - Sorry for the late response here. Not sure what you mean by your last question.

I have the url for my m3u added in the tuner section and the XML TV 6462 url added in the guide section.

Is there something else that I am supposed to do?

If you click on the XMLTV provider in LiveTV is it enabled for All Tuners or Enabled for the M3U tuner?

Also if you click on the 3 dot menu on the XMLTV guide provider have you mapped channels, or are the channels mapped automatically?

JEM_Family

Hi Kanipek - in the settings there is a box checked in green that says Enabled for All Tuners. If I uncheck that box then a new one appears that has a green check box labeled M3U Playlist.

Should I leave the box for the Enable all tuners Unchecked and the box for the M3U Playlist checked?

Also, when I click on the 3 dots like you mentioned and select the "Map Channels" option that appears, there is a window that pops up with all the channel numbers, location (UK, US, etc) and the name of the channel.

Does that mean that they are all mapped properly or is there something I have to do to each one of those channels with the little pen icon that shows up to the right of each channel?

kanipek

Hi Kanipek - in the settings there is a box checked in green that says Enabled for All Tuners. If I uncheck that box then a new one appears that has a green check box labeled M3U Playlist.

Should I leave the box for the Enable all tuners Unchecked and the box for the M3U Playlist checked?

Also, when I click on the 3 dots like you mentioned and select the "Map Channels" option that appears, there is a window that pops up with all the channel numbers, location (UK, US, etc) and the name of the channel.

Does that mean that they are all mapped properly or is there something I have to do to each one of those channels with the little pen icon that shows up to the right of each channel?

Enable for All is fine for your setup.

Can you screen shot what you are seeing when you select map channels and post it here?

arrbee99

As somebody will suggest (unless I'm talking rubbish in which case I'm the only one suggesting it), you need to map a channel to its entry in the guide, so you end up with...

5aa4845f2e018_Embychannelmapping.jpg

Yea looks like there are no mappings, which means that the data in the tuner doesn't match the data in the xml. This is not necessarily a problem as you can always just map manually.

JEM_Family

Thank fellas.

It looks like that mapping is going to take a while, but I will work at it little by little to see if it works.

Appreciate your help and walking through it.

JEM_Family

Is the Schedule Direct option much less painless?

I can see that going through and trying to map all these channels using the XML TV option is going to be very time consuming and annoying.

For those of you have Schedule Direct and pay the small annual fee for their service...Do you still have to map your channels?

I know that the M3U provider that I have, offers just about everything including channels in the UK, Cananda, Columbia, MX, etc....Will the Schedule Direct pick up those details on the guide as well?

Right now I am using SmartTV app and it has an EPG that is activated by my M3U provider, but it doesn't allow recording and the guide is very basic with channel names and no programming details unless you click on the channel and then you could pull up some programming info from there. That is a little rough though and you can't see programming info for multiple channels at the same time so that you could scroll through and select what you want.

Started looking at Emby since it seems like it provides a better viewing experience and allows me to see a more traditional guide format which the big companies such as DirecTV and Comcast use. However, it seems like it may be too difficult of a process to map all these M3U channels that I get and some channels don't even have an option to select when mapping.

For example, the 1st channel on my list to map is the Weather Channel and I can't figure out what option to select to map it to the proper location.

It might be. It just depends on whether the data in your m3u tuner matches the data in the guide. If not then you need to map manually.

kanipek

Thank fellas.

It looks like that mapping is going to take a while, but I will work at it little by little to see if it works.

Appreciate your help and walking through it.

If you have a lot of mapping to do it may be easier to use a cut and paste method or editing of your existing XMLTV file.  If you want advice I am happy to provide it.  Message me here on the forum if you prefer or we can do it right here.

kanipek

Is the Schedule Direct option much less painless?

I can see that going through and trying to map all these channels using the XML TV option is going to be very time consuming and annoying.

For those of you have Schedule Direct and pay the small annual fee for their service...Do you still have to map your channels?

I know that the M3U provider that I have, offers just about everything including channels in the UK, Cananda, Columbia, MX, etc....Will the Schedule Direct pick up those details on the guide as well?

Right now I am using SmartTV app and it has an EPG that is activated by my M3U provider, but it doesn't allow recording and the guide is very basic with channel names and no programming details unless you click on the channel and then you could pull up some programming info from there. That is a little rough though and you can't see programming info for multiple channels at the same time so that you could scroll through and select what you want.

Started looking at Emby since it seems like it provides a better viewing experience and allows me to see a more traditional guide format which the big companies such as DirecTV and Comcast use. However, it seems like it may be too difficult of a process to map all these M3U channels that I get and some channels don't even have an option to select when mapping.

For example, the 1st channel on my list to map is the Weather Channel and I can't figure out what option to select to map it to the proper location.

Schedules direct (SD) works great with Emby. It is well worth the Annual fee.

The only way that SD will help you with IPTV channels is if the channels you require data for are available in one of your 4 lineups - If you are talking about 500 channels then I don't see SD being of a lot of use for the IPTV/M3U channels. That may change in the future, it may not.

What I would suggest is that we figure out what the issue is with your existing XMLTV file - with regards to channel mapping. Though from your screen shot to me it looks like they are being mapped. @@Luke ??  I see the same type of stuff as @@JEM_Family is showing in the screen shot and mine automatically mapped. It might be something showing up in the logs.

Can you PM me a copy of your XMLTV so I can take a peek?  Or if you want to sanitize out any username/password info you can post it here.