Records 30 minutes of 60 minute program

FordGT90Concept
Go to solution Solved by FordGT90Concept,

FordGT90Concept

Start:

2018-03-06 21:00:00.015 Info App: Beginning recording. Will record for 59.9997401233333 minutes.
2018-03-06 21:00:00.015 Info App: Writing file to path: E:\Recordings\NCIS  New Orleans\Season 4\NCIS  New Orleans S04E16 Empathy.ts
End:

2018-03-06 21:31:01.004 Info App: Live Stream ended.
2018-03-06 21:31:01.004 Info App: Recording completed to file E:\Recordings\NCIS  New Orleans\Season 4\NCIS  New Orleans S04E16 Empathy.ts
2018-03-06 21:31:01.004 Info App: Recording completed: E:\Recordings\NCIS  New Orleans\Season 4\NCIS  New Orleans S04E16 Empathy.ts
I don't understand it. Apparently it has never recorded the full 60 minutes of this specific program.

half_recorded.zip

Edited by FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept

Nope, don't realize it's not recording all of it until days later

There's 6 tuners and it looks like only one was in use (the recording one). Absolutely no reason for it to have stopped.

FordGT90Concept

Any movement on this? It's liable to happen again tomorrow.

post-138756-0-06234800-1520876912_thumb.png

The episode that has problems is all by itself but it's following a lot of other recordings.

I didn't look at your logs or anything, but have you:

1) checked to make sure you don't have any negative padding in there by accident?

2) tried to remove the series and then setup it back up from scratch again?

3) Tried as a test to record the show immediately after it using 1 hour post padding?

#3 would be interesting to see what happens if the first two don't work.

Obviously it would have the wrong name and would contain more video then you need/want but would help to diagnose from a programming standpoint what's going on.

FordGT90Concept

Even worse. The TS file is literally 20 KB when it should be like 4 GB.

post-138756-0-85736400-1521007503_thumb.png

I don't understand it. Log says Emby tried to start again at 8:55 just before it was supposed to record.

logs.zip

Log file looks a little weird to me as well.

Curious, what tuners do you have?

Have you tried watching NCIS  New Orleans when you know it's suppose to be recording?

FordGT90Concept

3 x HD HomeRun EXTENDs set to heavy profile.

Nope. As far as I know, that's the only show that has issues.

I did notice in that picture above that This Is Us is told to record an extra minute at the tail end which overlaps with NCIS: New Orleans. Could that be the cause? There's 6 tuners available and even if it did record that overlap, I think there would only be two tuners in use for that minute. It should not be a problem but there is a problem.

3 x HD HomeRun EXTENDs set to heavy profile.

Nope. As far as I know, that's the only show that has issues.

I did notice in that picture above that This Is Us is told to record an extra minute at the tail end which overlaps with NCIS: New Orleans. Could that be the cause? There's 6 tuners available and even if it did record that overlap, I think there would only be two tuners in use for that minute. It should not be a problem but there is a problem.

Padding shouldn't be a problem.  I've got a bunch of tuners and Emby handles this just fine.

There is something peculiar about this show on your system.

Humor me and try something for next weeks show.

Setup 2 new recordings.

Setup the show right BEFORE this and put in 60 or 61 minute post padding

Setup the show AFTER this with 60 or 61 minutes pre padding.

Theoretically this would record 3 different ways.

How this fails if it does can give clues what's going on.

FordGT90Concept

HDHR @ 100 has:

19700101-00:00:17 System: reset reason = application watchdog
19700101-00:00:17 System: E5592573 0000000E 004E2F28 0042D55C 004328E0 0040DB60 004DDEAC 004DDE80
19700101-00:00:17 System: 00506FCC FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
19700101-00:00:17 System: network link 100f
19700101-00:00:18 System: ip address obtained: 192.168.0.100 / 255.255.255.0
20180314-02:00:57 System: time changed from Thu Jan  1 00:00:34 1970 to Wed Mar 14 02:00:57 2018
HDHR @ 101 has "20180311-06:26:20 System: myhdhomerun_sync: webclient error (http error 503)" but seems irrelevant. This tuner wasn't even used on the dates of the issues.

HDHR @ 102 hasn't even been used since February 13 when I updated the firmware on all of them.

Looks like I have to talk to Silicon Dust again. This is the second HDHR that died.

I *really* think that staggering recordings would reduce the failure rate. 100 gets hammered, 101 picks up the scraps, 102 is completely idle.

Edit: This is actually the refurbished HDHR they sent me replacing the first that died. I opened a dialog with Silicon Dust.

• Solution
FordGT90Concept

Silicon Dust confirmed the message means it is shot. It's out of warranty so they're offering a 30% discount on replacing it with a new one. I might as well take them up on that offer but that's two dead EXTENDs in 16 months. Both were the first recording device for Emby. Between the three, I'd say #1 gets 90% of the load, #2 gets 9%, #3 gets 1%. This lopsided loading could easily explain why #1 has a higher failure rate.

Here's the thread with the original HDHR death:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51885-my-hd-homerun-stopped-working/&do=findComment&comment=499690

Sounds like Emby needs an error check added to help with this type of thing.

This has also caused me grief as well.

I have 3 Primes (2 in current use for Emby).  I've had a cable card loose it's authorization 3 times in less than 6 months (thanks comcast).  Each time it was trying to record Fox News or CNN which are 2nd tier channels.  So without the auth the tuner couldn't access those channels (but still could the locals ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, etc).  Ironically the web status showed the tuner tuned to the station but it had a super low bitrate.

When that happened I got the "stub" file saved file as well.  But surely Emby should/could have known it wasn't actually receiving data back from the tuner and could have tried another device if available.

I of course now have this "troubled card" as my last tuner.

What I can suggest is to setup your HDHomeRuns via the web page.  Flag ONLY the channel you want to use with the yellow star (keep a notepad list).  By doing this you can add/remove a tuner in Emby very easily since there is an option to only import favorites.

This could allow you to remove the first tuner, then add it back which puts it as the last tuner (changes the order used).  You could then monthly remove/add tuners to shuffle them around to help give the tuners an equal work out.

Edited by cayars

FordGT90Concept

I completely agree. Emby doesn't tell me, at all, that something is wrong. Don't notice until recordings start going AWOL.

We need to add a recording history feature, as well as notifications of these kinds of events in realtime.

• Like 2

We need to add a recording history feature, as well as notifications of these kinds of events in realtime.

I think it might be a good idea to put the tuner page back and expand it.  You could show "External" (even the IP) for non Emby recordings.

For Emby recordings you could list the bit rate (big clue when something is wrong), start of recording and planned end time, even resolution if there is enough space.

I've noticed on the Prime for example when the CC isn't authorized the HDHomeRun web client will show a very low bit rate and it also won't free the tuner.  So a revamped status page would be a great indicator of who is using the tuner and for Emby when it should be done recording.

The DVR is very basic as it stands now.  It doesn't have conflict resolution, priority ordering of shows, priority of tuner use, priority of users, advanced scheduling (switch recordings around when a show could be recorded later), history, etc.  We know some of these things are on the drawing board which is great.  Adding the tuner status page back with a few improvements as well as a DVR history log file would be a great start to help with simple diagnostics like this.

• Like 1

FordGT90Concept

Could even parse the HDHR logs and look for that "application watchdog" error. Both dead HDHRs did the same thing.

FordGT90Concept

If Emby knew the HDHR is acting up, it could automatically remove the recording to the next device.