Why the server/transcoder doesn't detect the hardware capabilities of a given device?

Richard Branches

Ok well that app is based on our older code, which used to have a hard-coded h264 level limit of 41. This hard-coded limit happens to work for your older device so that is what is leading you to believe it has better auto-detection.

Richard Branches

Ok well that app is based on our older code, which used to have a hard-coded h264 level limit of 41. This hard-coded limit happens to work for your older device so that is what is leading you to believe it has better auto-detection.

I see, good answer!.

Richard Branches

Can you play this with our online web app, http://app.emby.media

Make sure subtitles are off prior to playback. Does it direct play or transcode?

Using Emby server or Jellyfin server? with Emby server plays directly.

Richard Branches

What about the other video? the one that says "Container Bitrate Exceeds Limit", that is an MPEG-2 video.

Using Emby server or Jellyfin server? with Emby server plays directly.

Our web app, our server. 

What about the other video? the one that says "Container Bitrate Exceeds Limit", that is an MPEG-2 video.

There was nothing smart there. It only transcoded because the direct play attempt failed. 

Richard Branches

Our web app, our server. 

It plays directly but I'm having the problem in the mobile app not the web app.

It plays directly but I'm having the problem in the mobile app not the web app.

It plays and it works, or no?

Richard Branches

It plays and it works, or no?

Good morning Luke... It plays directly on the web app with or without the subs, on the mobile app however it crashes.

Ok so it doesn't actually need to transcode then. Please try the beta version of the app, then provide an app log. Thanks.

Richard Branches

Ok so it doesn't actually need to transcode then. Please try the beta version of the app, then provide an app log. Thanks.

I've been testing the beta and it doesn't crash, finally, but the video is a little behind the audio and the interface becomes laggy.

Edited by Richard Branches

If it can direct play in the web app then that means your device can play it after all. It's just an issue in the mpv video player that we're using.

Richard Branches

If it can direct play in the web app then that means your device can play it after all. It's just an issue in the mpv video player that we're using.

Ok. I'll be testing the app in other sections to see what I find. Thanks.

Richard Branches

@@Luke, I've been testing the mobile beta app with all my videos and beside the lag between the audio and video playback and the laggy interface while they are playing, they don't seem to stutter anymore, looks like you have improved the app, am I right?  ^_^

Richard Branches

That's interesting, thanks for the feedback.

The lag is present with videos with high bitrates, while videos with lower bitrates play in sync. I assume the reason is the 1GB RAM and slow processor of the phone, so I tested some of those videos with 480p -1 Mbps, 480p -720 Kbps, 480p - 420 Kbps and even 360p and the sync problem didn't go away.

Richard Branches

I'll be buying the Emby premier subscription by the end of the month and I'll test this again, maybe the problem could be the software transcoding, maybe with hardware transcoding it's different. I'll let you know.

Do the same videos direct play OK in the web app? If they do then we know the device can handle the video.

Richard Branches

Do the same videos direct play OK in the web app? If they do then we know the device can handle the video.

When you say the web app you always meant to use it directly in the web browser of the phone right?

Richard Branches

http://app.emby.media

Yes, in the Chrome browser.

Ok because, I see there is no lag in there so no transcoding is needed!, except of course for some videos with some codecs not supported by the browser like MPEG-2 an such but even those are playing without lag!, the Android app must be the same!.

Richard Branches

But let me clarify I didn't open the web app, instead I enter the local IP address and the port inside the address bar, is it the same?

Mostly, but our online web app will have newer code than the web app built into your server. It shouldn't make a difference but sometimes it will.

Richard Branches

Mostly, but our online web app will have newer code than the web app built into your server. It shouldn't make a difference but sometimes it will.

Ok, let me check, hold on...