POLL: Xbox One is Super Crashy

JeffWScott

JeffWScott

Take the Poll here:

First off, I'm a convert from Plex.  I moved over to Emby when Plex started to have playback issues.

So this is what's making me really sad :mellow: , because I really love Emby now :wub: !

The Xbox App crashes constantly:

- For sure after it finishes playing any video it will crash and I have to go out to the dashboard and QUIT the app then relaunch.

- Sometimes when relaunch, it will just spin and fail to find my server (server is an HP Proliant 18 core, 96gig Memory, gigLan connected beast).

- This morning it stopped playing right in the middle of my son's TV show (bubble guppies) which even on Plex was one of the only shows that never had playback issues.  Just hangs with spinning circle.

I have tried the android app, the web player and the Roku app.  All seem great.

Someone needs to figure this Xbox stuff out because I think even Plex is struggling with it (probably a dumb Microsoft problem).

Edit:

I'll send a log to a dev/mod if they want to PM me, but I don't feel comfortable just posting it.

Edited by JeffWScott
  • Like 1

CBers

I'll send a log to a dev/mod if they want to PM me, but I don't feel comfortable just posting it.

Follow the instructions here on How to Report a Problem.

Before posting the log, just open it in a text editor and obfuscate by removing any IP (internal and external) or email addresses.

• Like 1

jasonwilliams

I also see the occasional freeze using Xbone app, but it is rare and only when watching live tv (IPTV). I also need to restart the Xbox to get things running again when this happens. I haven't reported because it is rare and I use Emby on Xbone all the time. Next time it happens I will capture logs and post them here.

Sarithz

I've just starting seeing this issue yesterday.  No issues with the web player or Roku's.  Once the Xbox app is restarted, it will show the wrong time played in the resume section.  It almost appears as if the device had been buffering and the crash/server only shows it part way through.  If I watch an item to the end, like a TV show, the play next has quit working as well and I just get a black screen.

Scott310

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to post this because I haven't seen it at the top of the theater forum for a while.  I was just wondering if Emby Theater is stable for anyone?  I have been using Ember for emby for a while now because it has been consistently stable and plays movies through till the end.  There are never any freezes or crashes when navigating the app.  I will admit though that on rare occasion there will be a stutter that would normally cause Emby theater to freeze and crash but it will go back to playing in a few seconds. 

Every now and then I will go back and test Emby theater and most times within the first few minutes of a movie it will freeze up.

Am I the only one still seeing this?

On a related server note (and I made a separate post about this in the server section) With both ember and emby the server dashboard will say that I stopped playing the movie about 5 minutes in when in fact it is still playing.  This only happens with xbox and no other platform.

Its been quite a while since ember and emby came to xbox but to be honest I am reaching my wits end when it comes to the platform.  I am aware that most of the issues probably fall to the fault of microsoft and their updates as we have seen in the past.  But it seems rare that I can go a few weeks with a stable client on xbox. Ember is mostly stable but @@7illusions doesn't spend a lot of time working on the client and is rarely on the forums anymore that I have seen.

I am ready to abandon the platform unless I can get some reassurance that these issues will somehow be fixed. If I were to take emby from xbox and take it to say a Mini Pc what would you guys recommend? My remotes users that have amazon fire tv's and rokus never have a freezing problem.  Its just me and my xbox's.  However I am not willing to give up the look and presentation of emby theater.  Plus I am very loyal to the tools created by @@radeon.  I love the look of my video backdrops and it is very impressive to people that come and see my theater.  So I was just curious what other people are using to get the theater experience besides something like a roku or firetv that is incapable if video backdrops.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Scott310

I am seeing this issue as well. Its really crashy and a lot of movies are still freezing within the first few minutes.

chef

I use ember for Xbox one. Unfortunately the theater only plays media for about three minutes then freezes :)

But, ember and DLNA work wonderfully :)

M_Taylor40

I'm always getting crashing/freezing issues with the Emby Theatre app on Xbox One, next time it occurs I'll submit the logs as it's one of my main 2 devices for watching my content and it's becoming unusable.

Main issues I experience are:

• Go to pause using the Xbox One Media Remote and cannot control video anymore, just continues to play.
  • Try to rewind the past few seconds by pressing the jump-back button on the remote and it freezes.
  • Watching video completely without pausing/rewind/touching the remote in any way and realise that Emby server has not recognised I've watched the entire show as it believes I stopped a few minutes in to the show.

The only way I can fix the first 2 issues is to go back to the dashboard and force Emby Theatre to close, wait a minute and reopen it.  Unfortunately if the show believes I stopped watching at say 10mins in when in fact it was 20mins, attempting to fast-forward to the show my result in it crashing again.  When this happens I sometimes give up and revert to using my mobile to stream the show to the Xbox over DLNA, bit annoying when I paid for Premiere to get access to the Emby Theatre app.  Other times I force-close Emby which doesn't work and I can hear the show still playing away while I'm on the dashboard, only way around this is to fully reboot the Xbox.

My other main device is a Windows 10 PC running the desktop version of Emby Theatre, this never has an issue.

As I said, next time I try to watch a show on the Xbox and this happens I'll collect the logs and submit them.

JeffWScott

Unfortunately I just went through this with Plex. They will take your money and then just ignore problems like this. All they will do is ask you for logs. Then do nothing else. At least Emby will play my videos all the way through 95% of the time. Where Plex was refusing to play anything for more than 30 seconds.

• 1 year later...
raymondb5

Yes I too am having this issue.  I exit emby go into hulu than go back to emby and start my show again most of the time it will pick up where it left off, but to day after about 10 times I stopped.  I will give it a try later I have no Idea why its doing this I am direct connected to the router not using wifi, so I don't get it.