Emby server attempting to Transcode instead of Direct Play

bls_fanatic

bls_fanatic

Hello,

I have been reading a lot lately on these forums on the subjects of Direct Play/Direct Stream/Transcoding.  After looking at my logs I realized that Emby server was often remuxing files to my HTPCs (full windows with Emby for MediaCenter and Shark Codecs) for no apparent reasons.  I have validated and my HTPCs can browse to the set alternate path and play all the files.

I proceeded to disable all transcoding for the user configured in Emby for MediaCenter and most of the time everything is fine and Direct Playing is taking place.  I ran into an issue yesterday where the file would not play.  No error in Emby MEdia Center, simply a black screen.  I looked at the logs and saw it was trying to remux but did not have permissions (which makes sense since it is disabled for that user).  The question is: why was Emby trying to transcode the file in this case?  I tried a few times to play the file to no avail.  I rebooted my HTPC and Direct Play worked fine.

Anyone can undestand why from the server log?  First error is around 20:15 on 2018-03-06.

Thanks

server-63655891200.txt

Edited by bls_fanatic

bls_fanatic

Attach your transcode log for the same session.

There is no transcode log.  I can see in the server log that a transcode was attempted but stopped with this error:

System.ArgumentException: User does not have video remuxing permission.  (which is true since that user only has direct play perm)

Edited by bls_fanatic

mastrmind11

The is no transcode log.  I can see in the server log that a transcode was attempted but stopped with this error:

System.ArgumentException: User does not have video remuxing permission.  (which is true since that user only has direct play perm)

RIght, but w/o the transcode log we won't know why it's transcoding and how.  I suggest re-enabling that user and trying again, then either look at the dashboard (which will tell you why it's transcoding), or check the transcode log.

The only reason EMC will try to transcode is if it cannot access the file locations directly.  It does not use the profile system that the other apps do it just assumes it can play anything - unless it cannot access it.

So, the most likely problem here is one of file access.  You need to make sure the shares are setup properly and that you have configured the Optional Network Path properly and that you did not use mapped drives in any of those definitions.

bls_fanatic

The only reason EMC will try to transcode is if it cannot access the file locations directly.  It does not use the profile system that the other apps do it just assumes it can play anything - unless it cannot access it.

So, the most likely problem here is one of file access.  You need to make sure the shares are setup properly and that you have configured the Optional Network Path properly and that you did not use mapped drives in any of those definitions.

Thanks for the info.  The libraries are setup with local paths on ther server with optional shares paths defined (see screenshot).  I can access the share without issue from the HTPC (proper name resolution, share perm and ntfs perm).  I rebooted the HTPC and it started working.  So yes it seems to be a file access issue but it works the rest of the time and nothing was changed except the reboot of the HTPC. 

When EMC accesses the shares I am assuming it is doing it with the creds of the currently logged on user on the HTPC?  Or is it using some other sort of anonymous login?

Thanks

post-1413-0-15690700-1520438315_thumb.jpg

I am assuming it is doing it with the creds of the currently logged on user on the HTPC?

Yes that's correct.