Custom Genre Icons

delicac

delicac

Hi, I am currently attempting to use ET for the first time. I want to use custom artwork for the Genre view, I have pointed the Metadata path to the correct folder containing the pictures, but when I launch ET and go to the Genre view it is still showing the standard artwork. Am I missing something basic here?

Many thanks

Hi, I don't think we've ever tested this before with ET. What you're trying to do is something that is only designed for Emby for WMC.

• 2 weeks later...
PurposelyCryptic

Hi, I am currently attempting to use ET for the first time. I want to use custom artwork for the Genre view, I have pointed the Metadata path to the correct folder containing the pictures, but when I launch ET and go to the Genre view it is still showing the standard artwork. Am I missing something basic here?

Many thanks

Hi, I don't think we've ever tested this before with ET. What you're trying to do is something that is only designed for Emby for WMC.

Hey Luke, deliac,

Just wanted to mention that custom genre images do actually show up in Emby Theater.

See below for example (the ones made up of movie-posters were auto-generated by CoverArt):

MgKi4u0.jpg

The ispecific mage pulled per genre appears to be [metadata-path]\Genre\GENRENAME\folder.jpg.

So for my setup, with the metadata path in Emby Server defined as C:\MB3\metadata, the path for the Genre Image for the Action Genre underlined above is C:\MB3\metadata\Genre\Action\folder.jpg.

In my case, the images used are from an older Collection of Anime Genre Images by Starkadius, which were not designed with the current iteration of Emby Theater in mind, and have the wrong aspect ratio for use in it (2 : 3, rather than 1 : 1), hence why they appear squished. Properly formatted images with a 1 : 1 (square) aspect ratio will not have this issue.

Here is the original image for comparison:

ixLxsad.jpg

For anyone using TheTVDB as their main metadata source, they only use 28 Genres in total, making it pretty feasible to create your own custom set.

They are: 

Action, Adventure, Animation, Children, Comedy, Crime, Documentary, Drama, Family, Fantasy, Food, Game Show, Home and Garden, Horror, Mini-Series, Mystery, News, Reality, Romance, Science-Fiction, Soap, Special Interest, Sport, Suspense, Talk Show, Thriller, Travel, Western

All the best!

- edited for clarity and to reduce image hugeness

Edited by PurposelyCryptic

PurposelyCryptic

They are expected to be 1:1 aspect ratio.

That is what I was trying to say, my apologies if I didn't properly convey my intent (the images may have given an unintended emphasis to what was meant to be a minor part of my post).

I just thought it bore mentioning, as many of the custom genre image collections on the forum here still contain a folder, thumb, and background image (the latter two in 16:9 aspect ratio) each per Genre (or some combination of those), and if trying to use those as is (or simply still having them in your metadata folder), the image Emby Theater will pull will be squished. It was not meant as an example of a problem or issue, simply an examination of what I noticed looking at the Genre View for the first time in ages.

My main point in posting, though, was merely to mention that, contrary to what the OP experienced, custom genre images can still be used in Emby Theater, so the fact that theirs did not appear may have been the result of simply having them located in the wrong folder, and to point them at the correct location if that was the case.

...everything else was just meant as potentially useful commentary.

Looking back at my post, I need to get into the habit of resizing images before posting, as they serve as more of a distraction than assistance in this case. I mainly just wanted to show the Genre screen as an example that using custom images there was still possible.

Smitty018210

Yeah they do work you just have to create ones that fit. You can add them right in the theater app by right clicking the image and edit image.5aaf5c3c26e70_Image1.jpg

Edited by Smitty018210