saitoh183

Maybe some day we will see demand for the WMC client drop but, so far, it hasn't happened.  We still have more active MBC clients than we have active server installs so that tells me a very high percentage of MB users are using MBC.

As long as the demand is there we will try to support it.

I see well we will see how good MBT becomes in time. If it can do everything MBC can do and do it faster, MBC might not be needed. I admit that WMC LiveTV is still among the best LiveTv software. So the main question will be how good MBT LiveTV will be compared to it because for everything related directly to MBC, MBT should do it better and faster as a standalone frontend. The only thing i can see MBT lacking will be skins but im sure that will come in its own time. As for the rest, so far Movie section is better in MBT (even with missing features) and TV is still better in MBC since you cant use filters in MBT yet. One thing that would  be good to see in MBT will be more views for more customization.

Edited by saitoh183

What theme are you using because MBC should still be plenty fast with that sized library.  It is quite a bit faster than MB2 (with Chocolate anyway).

Latchmor

This: "WMC LiveTV is still among the best LiveTv software" is why I'll be using WMC and MBC for as long as I can.

I personally think MBC looks far nicer than MBT but it's not really a fair comparison right now. I'm sure MBT will overtake it  ;)

saitoh183

This: "WMC LiveTV is still among the best LiveTv software" is why I'll be using WMC and MBC for as long as I can.

I personally think MBC looks far nicer than MBT but it's not really a fair comparison right now. I'm sure MBT will overtake it  ;)

I agree even if i stopped using MBC because its to slow for my taste (one of the reasons i stopped using MB2) and as soon as something takes too long to load, WMC wants to close. I now use Mediaportal with MB3 plugin because its fast and LiveTV is just as good as WMC. I will come back to MBT once it has some more features under its belt.

Latchmor

I take it you have a large collection then? MBC is pretty quick for me but I only have currently 444 movies and 1661 episodes (94 shows)

Cheers

saitoh183

I take it you have a large collection then? MBC is pretty quick for me but I only have currently 444 movies and 1661 episodes (94 shows)

Cheers

yeah over 700 movies 1900+ eps of Anime 

TV: http://pasteboard.co/1rhqfYwv.png

Edited by saitoh183

AxeMan

@@Deihmos

i admit - i only use WMC because of the photowall screen saver. it normally keeps people entertained as I go grab drinks, chips, dips etc. 

saitoh183

I wanted to know in the long term will MBC support be dropped once MBT becomes a full feature client? im asking because MBC is all nice and all but having to work with WMC and its old archietecture in order to get a full feature client for MB3 seems a bit a step back. Its a decent alternative till MBT but its slow and prone to WMC crashes.

AxeMan

What are your front-end htpcs where WMC crashes? I am on Win7 and the crashes are few and far in between. The few times it happened, recovery was as easy as restarting.

To many staying inside WMC is seen as a benefit. Even as MBT matures there will still be demand for MBC so it's not really going anywhere.

Maybe some day we will see demand for the WMC client drop but, so far, it hasn't happened.  We still have more active MBC clients than we have active server installs so that tells me a very high percentage of MB users are using MBC.

As long as the demand is there we will try to support it.

Deihmos

Even when MBT is complete I will be sticking to MBC because I use live tv. For anyone that does not use live tv then MBT is the way to go. I wouldn't recommend WMC to anyone without live tv. I don't find MBC to be slow at all. It is pretty quick, no crashes and I don't notice any lag using Windows 8.1.

saitoh183

What theme are you using because MBC should still be plenty fast with that sized library.  It is quite a bit faster than MB2 (with Chocolate anyway).

I used ROC, Subdued and Chocolat. Yes i agree that Chocolat is the better of the 3 but what i find was there were often delays with loading of the recently added and when i go into my favorites and start videos sometimes it plays right away and sometimes it takes time. Also profile switching sometime took up to a min and sometime was instant. 

What are your front-end htpcs where WMC crashes? I am on Win7 and the crashes are few and far in between. The few times it happened, recovery was as easy as restarting.

Im on Win7 x64 and it happened at least once a day.The crash sometimes happens when i go into WMC tv Recording watch something then go back into MBC and it just crashes (stop responding). Sometimes i will just be scrolling through shows and it will just crash as well. Yes i can easily recover but this is not acceptable for WAF solution.

Even when MBT is complete I will be sticking to MBC because I use live tv. For anyone that does not use live tv then MBT is the way to go. I wouldn't recommend WMC to anyone without live tv. I don't find MBC to be slow at all. It is pretty quick, no crashes and I don't notice any lag using Windows 8.1.

Well i expect MBT to have live TV support using WMCserver (like XBMC does) or if they decide to incorporate other backend choices. WMC is great for live TV and i have no trouble with it when i use it.

I will wait for MBT and for now im quite happy with Mediaportal and the MB3 plugin. Live TV is also great on Mediaportal so at least i dont feel like its a step back from WMC.

Edited by saitoh183

swhitmore

For those unaware, you can launch MBT from inside WMC. The launcher I have used is ReLaunch. I then used Media Center Studio (no longer in development) to move the icon to the right slot in the WMC start menu. If you don't have Media Center Studio, then I believe you can use Patchou’s Media Center Themer, although I've never used it.

Configure ReLaunch as shown below. I use the 'Green Button' to return to WMC. Let me know if you get stuck.

5287003ecc60b_Untitled.png

Best of both worlds!

5286f639ae200_ScreenCaptureMEDIAPC1.png

5286f5c88b264_ScreenCaptureMEDIAPC2.png

saitoh183

yeah i know about that but until MBT has more features MBC is the better route for most people

AdrianW

MBT is still missing some essential features - the major one is jumping directly to the next unplayed episode of a selected TV show.

Pelon

I like MBT, but I rarely use it. MBC to me is so robust and I'm familiar with it since MB2. So for me, even when I have MBT, it is going to be a huge change to jump.

I do realize that MBT has more potential since it is build from the ground up and it doesn't have some of the restrictions that WMC has, like only allowing direct file access w/o transcoding, to me it will be hard to really use it on a daily basis. I don't use it often enough to see if I like it enough to make it my default client.

Now the funny thing, is that the first thing I do when I configure a client PC, is to install MBT, as it will install the LAV filters and any other codecs that are needed.

So for now, until Microsoft and/or MB3 stop supporting it, chances are that I will stay on MBC as my PC client.

As for live TV, the solution that we have today, still uses WMC, so even if we use MBT as the front client, we need to have WMC to process the guide data and do the actual recording. I don't believe that in Windows 8 without WMC, we can use the TV solution.

saitoh183

MBT should be a successor to MBC and be able to do everything MBC can do. As for live TV, using ServerWMC will allow WMC to still control Live TV just that you wont need to open WMC to view live TV or the Guide or your TV recordings...that should be all possible via MBT (like it is currently possible via MBS). In it current state, there is no way for anyone to really say that it can replace MBC because its still very far from being a complete client solution. In time it should be...yes people will still use MBC once MBT is up to par with MBC but i think MBT will have the clear advantage of speed ,flexibility, Live TV integration (no need to leave the client to open Live tv like in MBC)

"Everything" is a big word.

Eventually WMC will die completely and, eventually, MBT will probably be our Main Windows HTPC client but I do think people don't realize everything that WMC does for us in the area of presentation and graphics (for instance animations and things like smooth scrolling large lists).  We will do our best but it may take quite some time and we may not be able to completely replicate all of that on our own.  

It may turn out the other benefits outweigh whatever we can't replicate too.  I just think we can't necessarily jump to the conclusion that we can implement "Everything" :).

saitoh183

"Everything" is a big word.

Eventually WMC will die completely and, eventually, MBT will probably be our Main Windows HTPC client but I do think people don't realize everything that WMC does for us in the area of presentation and graphics (for instance animations and things like smooth scrolling large lists).  We will do our best but it may take quite some time and we may not be able to completely replicate all of that on our own.  

It may turn out the other benefits outweigh whatever we can't replicate too.  I just think we can't necessarily jump to the conclusion that we can implement "Everything" :).

Well it will never really die out but MS support will and when that time comes, we hope it wont take MBC with it :) you say smooth scrolling as an example but MBT scrolling is good. Yes, your right that you might not get "Everything" but for most people, sticking with WMC is just because of LiveTV (from i have seem in the replies) and if Live TV can work well in MBT, then i think more people would be inclined to move to MBT when its ready. As for the other aspect that MBT is currently lacking, i dont think you(Devs) plan to not include those missing features which are basic features (imo)...that will at least bring MBT to a comparable standard that MBC is at.