Androidtv app hangs after a couple of minutes playing a transcoded video

joggs
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

joggs

When I play a transcoded video, after a couple of minutes the video starts stuttering more and more and finally the app hangs. The whole android system stops to respond for half a minute before you can get back to the leanback launcher. 

The old developer me gets the feeling that the memory fills up until the system cant handle it no more.

I have used the 'send logs' feature in the app (around 20.38 CET 2018-03-05), around the same time the app hanged and hopefully you could see something in there.

I cannot find the android tv logs using ES file explorer as i cannot find the emby application folder for some reason. 

transcoder and system log attached.

I am using a 2016 philips android tv with android 7.x

Please get back to me if you want me to look into something more.

server-63655874584.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-a7b495be-0e27-4737-8ba9-4a20df131258.txt

Edited by joggs

• Solution

Hi.  Try turning off hardware acceleration and see if the problem still occurs.

• Like 1

joggs

I don't think I hve that optin on an android tv in the same way I have on my china boxes.

If i enter developer options, there are some hw acc options, but in more detail, such as disable hw overlays etc, but nothing that turns off the hw acceleration, what I can see. rather forcing it to be on.

disable hardware overlays - "always use gpu for screen compositing" is maybe the one closest to what we want to do.

I'll try that setting tonight. Any other suggestions? Maybe the developer options are more common between devices?

joggs

Ah, o course. I was too focused on the client side. Thanks for the clarification and suggestion to both of you.

Disabling hardware acceleration on the transcoding page on the server seems to have solved the issue!

Is it possible fo fix this bug or is the problem located behind locked nividia api doors?

I am running my fileserver on an outdated amd platform, so a working nvidia hw acceleration feature makes my life easier.

Ah, o course. I was too focused on the client side. Thanks for the clarification and suggestion to both of you.

Disabling hardware acceleration on the transcoding page on the server seems to have solved the issue!

Is it possible fo fix this bug or is the problem located behind locked nividia api doors?

I am running my fileserver on an outdated amd platform, so a working nvidia hw acceleration feature makes my life easier.

Problems like this are why we still call this an experimental feature.  Sometimes the video produced via these methods is not quite to the spec that the players are able to deal with.

I think we're seeing cases where sometimes the hardware encoding produces incorrect timestamps on the output. You can try leaving hardware decoding on though and see if that still works.