Emby vs Plex iOS app

chudak

chudak

I've changed my cell phone provider to t-mobile and was testing if I can stream on LTE connection ~12-16Mbps speed.

And was surprised that Emby client did not do as good as Plex, so wanted to share here.

I was trying to stream 1080 movie and Plex was a bit slow but generally was able to stream.  Even if it stopped the way you can change Quality while streaming enabled me to decrease quality a little but still be able to stream.

Emby client was not able to stream at all !!!  And no way to even change the quality at all after streaming was suppose to start.  

Just FYI and maybe Emby needs to have some Quality change feature redesigned/fixed.

And main question - why Emby can't stream on LTE?! 

Thx

Apparently ipv6 is required for tmobile, so in order to resolve this we have to force an ipv6 connection to your server.

You can do this manually now by figuring out your ipv6 address and connecting with that instead.

chudak

Apparently ipv6 is required for tmobile, so in order to resolve this we have to force an ipv6 connection to your server.

You can do this manually now by figuring out your ipv6 address and connecting with that instead.

I see your point, still for a user it's a but complicated and also  ability to change quality during streaming is highly desired.  Agreed ? 

Edited by chudak

I agree, and of course we are working on having the app handle it automatically. I am just trying to help you by letting you know of what you can do until we have that completed.

Keep in mind it will still require you to ensure your server has ipv6 connectivity. There is one thing that competitor does that we are not planning on doing. They have the ability to route traffic through their own servers, and it's possible they might incorporate this if your server only supports ipv4. That's not something we're going to be looking at doing.

chudak

Keep in mind it will still require you to ensure your server has ipv6 connectivity. There is one thing that competitor does that we are not planning on doing. They have the ability to route traffic through their own servers, and it's possible they might incorporate this if your server only supports ipv4. That's not something we're going to be looking at doing.

And this is exactly why I want to keep using Emby and not Plex !!!  And make Emby better.

Can you help with steps  you meant for re: "You can do this manually now by figuring out your ipv6 address and connecting with that instead." ?

I want to test it

Thx

Edited by chudak

For starters you'll want to check your internet router and verify it supports ipv6 and that is enabled. Some routers disable it by default.

chudak

For starters you'll want to check your internet router and verify it supports ipv6 and that is enabled. Some routers disable it by default.

Well remember we are talking about streaming over LTE, so my router has nothing to do with this.  (my router actually blocks IPv6 but this is unrelated)

Can I do it on T-Mobile LTE connection ?

Thx

Yes it does, because both sides need to support ipv6, or the connection will be ipv4.

I don't know how to change network settings IPv6 etc for T-Mobile on iPhone  :(

There's nothing required on the phone. The phone already supports it out of box. It's the server you need to look at.

chudak

Oh I was looking at the wrong directtion

Emby server that makes sense, but still where do I enable IPv6 ?

chudak

First check your router settings.

I definitely blocking by firewall and have IPv6 disabled in my pfsense router

Edited by chudak

Assuming it's done the next step will be to determine your public facing ipv6 address. Your router should be able to tell you that. You can also use something like https://test-ipv6.com/

Animosity022

Where is the IPV6 requirement coming from? I can't seem to reproduce that as I was testing out via my iPhone on T-Mobile as well. I've noticed no differences in streaming from Plex nor Emby. Just did a few tests and it seems to be more dependent on my signal. I'm on Verizon FIOS so either Plex or Emby are only going to run for me on IPV4. 

I thought the only traffic that routes through plex is the authentication. If I see any of my connections to anyone streaming, it all comes via port 32400 by default and I can see the connections to my tmobile IP as well from either service.

Where is the IPV6 requirement coming from? I can't seem to reproduce that as I was testing out via my iPhone on T-Mobile as well. I've noticed no differences in streaming from Plex nor Emby. Just did a few tests and it seems to be more dependent on my signal. I'm on Verizon FIOS so either Plex or Emby are only going to run for me on IPV4. 

I thought the only traffic that routes through plex is the authentication. If I see any of my connections to anyone streaming, it all comes via port 32400 by default and I can see the connections to my tmobile IP as well from either service.

It's a t-mobile requirement.

smokey7722

It's a t-mobile requirement.

On my Android tmobile phone using LTE i can stream from my emby server via ipv4 with no problem. Not sure if that's helpful or not but figured I'd add a comment that Android works fine with ipv4 on tmo.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Edited by smokey7722

On my Android tmobile phone using LTE i can stream from my emby server via ipv4 with no problem. Not sure if that's helpful or not but figured I'd add a comment that Android works fine with ipv4 on tmo.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if they're requiring this on android or not. Just like you said, I haven't seen anyone report this for android, nor have i been able to reproduce it on t-mobile.

Animosity022

Neat. I never noticed TMobile was pure IPV6. The few things I was able to find was that they were/are doing IPV4 translation still it seems. I read a few articles that says it stopped in 2017, but I can see via Emby or Plex my IPV4 connections from my phone and if I check my IP, I can see an address from the TMobile IPV4 range in my logs.

At that point, the other only thing I noticed is you really need to make sure the rate that you streaming isn't too high or it won't work well. I did some testing with various movie sizes and bitrates and on either, if I started too high, it was problematic.