M3U Channel Numbers

dmfuller

dmfuller

Hi,

I have always stayed away from Emby live tv as the M3U tuner (I appreciate its a WIP) is restrictive when getting channel numbers. I have seen some people use the label channel-id="NUMBER" in the M3U file which works fine but is hard to keep up to date without editing files for small changes.

I have previously used xtream-editor to sort my channels but that doesn't offer a channel number option. Looking at alternatives I discovered IPTV-EPG. They give the option of channel numbers but it records them in the M3U as tvg-chno="NUMBER".

I was wondering if anyone had a solution at present? I would love to use Emby for live TV as it does a fantastic job at streaming it!

Any help appreciated!

Edited by dmfuller

• 2 weeks later...
manolodf

Hi, do you have any suggestions?

Luke, 

One thing that I believe would be incredibly useful is if in Emby we can "Map" our own internal Channel Number, possibly under the edit channel info in Metadata?   So for example in the screenshot I am attaching, have a field for "Internal Channel Number" which would be the Channel Number within Emby that we can manually select.  This way we can categorize channels by Sections, sort them at will, and various other things while still having the IPTV Provider's Channel number just for back-end purposes

5ab0882492251_Screenshot20180319230235.p

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
timeslip1974

I second this, I use xtream editor to tailor my m3u playlists, emby just ignores any channel ordering done in xtream

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
lolento

Hello, can I have a look at the channel number edit tool? I'm having issue with the lack of sorting ability with Emby...

• 3 weeks later...
Cybergy

It works with the m3u we produce from our Access tool

Hey @@Spaceboy - Can you hit me up with info or a link on your access tool please?

I'm struggling with xtream and emby and my provider right now to manage my channels and not having a ton of success (at least, not the outcome I was shooting for).

mlcarson

iptv-epg.com works pretty well for channel management but the file needs a search/replace run on it to change tags tvg-chno to channel-id"

Senna

We will support tvg-chno with the next release of emby server, thanks.

Excellent :)

Because tvg-chno is also supported by TVMosaic server and its m3u export. So easy import from now of TVMosaic channels into Emby when it is implemented in beta server B)

Cybergy

iptv-epg.com block you if you are using VPN on the Emby server.  VPN is recommended by the provider when recording.

There's always a damn catch to making any of this iptv stuff work.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

so this is an Access db that was designed by someone else. no further support will be provided other than the below.

The tool was designed for a specific supplier, now gone, but is adaptable to any provider. It is set up to cover the most popular UK, US and Canadian channels but can be adapted completely as long as you have the time and patience

extract the access db, then find the Module M3UOutput. At the bottom of the screen you will see username and password which need to be updated with yours. then you need to set an output directory, if you dont have C:\temp it will fail.

then run the macro Make M3U File. if that works you are good to go. you can select channels to be included in the m3u by checking or unchecking the relevant box. you can renumber and therefore reorder channels by editing the number in the EMB_Channel_Ace column. If its a different provider then you will need to edit the streaming url with your own. this is a tedious job i'm afraid. Excel and Vlookup, or other matching tools may be of some help.

if you know access well feel free to mess with anything. X wrote this so my input was limited to updating it for our X TV package so my knowledge is pretty limited! you may find the odd error when you get up into some of the less well known US Channels, if you do feed them back.

In Emby you need the following SD schedules

BSkyB England

US 05001 Burlington Direct TV Satellite

Canada M4 Shaw Direct Classic Satellite

Final Working Ace - Distributable.zip

• 2 months later...
Hopstimop

Just wanted to tune in to mention that iptv-epg.com has added the channel-id tag for Emby users weeks (months?) ago, but it is nice to see that the Emby devs are willing to make changes opposite to others like Plex.

Fan fuct: tvg-chno was "invented" by the dev of PVR Simple Client developer for KODI.

Also if you use VPN, you can just contact iptv-epg.com about it and explain why you have to use it and they will allow it if it's for personal use and for security reasons.

So tvg-chno is for iptv-epg support?

I use Schedules Direct witch gives me up to 14 days of guide. iptv-epg is only 7. Are there any reasons I would want iptv-epg over SD? I just briefly looked at it.

Haven't used SD in Emby yet. Use it in NPVR right now. Took an afternoon to organize and edit the channels.

As soon as I get everything working the way I want it in Emby I am going to get a lifetime sub.

Hopstimop

As far as I know Schedules Direct has only US channels and available only to US citizens while iptv-epg has EPG for 7000 international channels from 80+ countries and has no restriction on who can use it.

Do you really need EPG for 14 days?

The max an average person looks forward is 3 days.

Edited by Hopstimop

Don't really need 14 days, but it is nice when a show is advertised 2 weeks ahead and you want to snag it.

I only need a US guide, so I suppose that's why SD worked well for me. But I did just look at the iptv-epg tutorial and I like it. With SD there is no editor so you have to live with what you get and rely on mapping but then the channels aren't sorted either. With NPVR it isn't an issue, just a lot of work. But with Emby, you really need iptv-epg because the editing capabilities are slim to none.

So, if you have 3 m3u/xml's from iptv-epg, how would they layout in the channel guide altogether. Would you have to assign channel numbers to put them where you want them, or would Emby just mash them together?

Same question for SD. How would Emby handle the listings from 3 m3u's