Chromecast Audio doesn't play playlist - next item

Spidey74

Spidey74

Hello,

I am currently experiencing issues with the playback of Emby audio to a Chromecast Audio device. I use both the iOS and Android Apps and both have the same issue (also seen and tested on Google Chrome).

When starting a playlist based on Shuffle (artist) or simply an album and casting this to my Chromecast audio the audio/stream stops after playing the first track. There is usually about 5 seconds left on the track but it cuts off completely.

The next track is not started automatically and the playlist (which you usually see when playing on the local device: ipad/android) is empty.

Simply pressing the "Next" button solves the playback and the next song will start, but this song also stops 5 seconds before the end. My wife doesn't seem to like having to press the next button after every song ;-)

The versions which I am using are:

Emby Server (Synology Based) - Version 3.3.0.0

Emby for iOS 1.4.9

Emby for Android Mobile 2.9.90

Firmware Chromecast audio: 1.30.111140

Both the Chromecast audio and the emby server have been restarted several times.

I've uploaded the system log but I can't see a reference to the next song which is to be played.

Hi there, I actually tested this very thing yesterday and I'm not able to reproduce it. It works fine here.

Do you know your Chromecast firmware version? Maybe there's a defect in certain firmware versions. Thanks.

Spidey74

Hi,

I am using a Chromecast Audio device which is connected by toslink (optical) to my receiver. The Chromecast Audio is a dutch version and has firmware 1.30.111140 according to the Google Home app. I checked with the Google site and this is the latest general firmware for this device.

Spidey74

mp3 files with a bitrate between 128 - 224

I saw in the Server admin that there was a new Emby version available (3.3.1.0), but unfortunately the link https://synology.emby.media/ doesn't seem to work yet to try out this newer version. I will check tomorrow if this makes any difference.

Spidey74

Unfortunately it didn't... I now have tested the default Synology Package (based on 3.3.0.0) and the latest version through means of Docker (3.3.1.0) and they show the same behavior. Single tracks no issues (with a gap about 5 seconds before the end), but no playlist visible (and therefore no jump to the next song) in the browser, iOS and/or Android app.

Also a manual created playlist is not visible/working when using ChromeCast Audio as a player. When playing locally on the iPad, Chrome Browser and the Android Mobile Phone everything (playlist) works fine.

Any ideas how I can debug this? I don't see anything in the server logs.

There isn't much you can do to debug unfortunately. We might be able to add some remote logging.

Right now I am just trying to reproduce the issue because it seems to work in my testing.

• 3 weeks later...
Spidey74

Hi Luke,

Unfortunately I am still experiencing this issue. I did find out that when using a DLNA device (such as my TV and Soundbar) the shuffle and "next item" work fine.

I also experience issues when playing back a playlist from Google Chrome (65.0.3325.181 (Official Build) (64-bit)). When playing a playlist from the emby webinterface (either by shuffle or simple in order) the next item will not start again. This behavior doesn't happen with Edge, Internet Explorer and/or Firefox. Only with Google Chrome.

Any possibility that this issue is related?

I'm sure it's related because they're both based on chromium.

I wonder if it's related to certain files. Can you zip up the first three songs of a now playing queue that you experienced this with? Thanks.

Spidey74

Hi Luke,

I found this to be the case with any files and/or playlist, but I included a few files as requested. I choose to simply "Play" the entire Album from first to last, but after the first song the next song isn't started. This happens both in Google Chrome and when using Chromecast Audio.

When using Chromecast Audio the playlist itself isn't even visible (only the current track)

post-148447-0-31588100-1522007130_thumb.png

When using Chrome browser as playback everything looks fine (playlist is visible), but after the song it seems to hang at +1 sec of the length of the song. Other browsers simply jump to the next song.

post-148447-0-35083900-1522007141_thumb.png

Let me know if I can provide you with any further info/data.

SfG.zip

Well, I was able to have it auto-advance in Chrome. I am on Chrome 66 beta. I will try Chromecast.

Spidey74

Hi Luke,

I installed Chrome 66 Beta next to my regular Chrome on another device (laptop). Chrome 65 regular version had the same issue on my laptop, but using Chrome 66 Beta fixed the auto-advance in Chrome local playback.

Unfortunately the Chromecast issue still remains in Chrome 66 Beta, but my issues with the browser seems fixed in the Beta.

Ok thanks. I'll do some testing on Chrome 65. We don't know how long it will take for 66 to deploy to Chromecast devices. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
bernado99

Ok thanks. I'll do some testing on Chrome 65. We don't know how long it will take for 66 to deploy to Chromecast devices. Thanks.

I experienced exactly the same problem as the O/P with the Chrome browser and broken playlist casting, for me using Chromium browser fixes things and this aspect now works as expected.