Question about WMC MKV support

rms8

Hope this isn't a really stupid question.

My entire library is ripped in native folder structure for all DVD and Bluray.  I use TMT6.  I have been told repeatedly by many here that I should rip to MKV and use the internal player.  So I ripped a single movie as an MKV to see how it works.  I removed the bluray folders (BDMV & Certificate) and copied the MKV rip into the folder.  When I try to play this title the internal player overlay pops up with all the info, but nothing plays.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Hi, the built in player for EMC is Windows Media Center. Windows Media Center depends on Windows Media Player. It supports whatever file types your system is capable of playing.

Yeah, the stock WMC player has never supported mkv.  However, installing a proper codec pack (LAV) should get you going.

Hi, the built in player for EMC is Windows Media Center. Windows Media Center depends on Windows Media Player. It supports whatever file types your system is capable of playing.

Gotchya.

Thanks!

Yeah, the stock WMC player has never supported mkv.  However, installing a proper codec pack (LAV) should get you going.

Is the "internal player" on the server or client ?  Just so i know where to install the codec pack.

Client.  

Thanks.  That's what I assumed and installed the LAV filters on it earlier.  I can open the MKV on the server with WMP, but when I try and play it via Emby WMC, it doesn't play.   Hmmmm.

d00zah

IIRC, on an x64 OS, WMP is 32-bit & WMC is 64-bit. Shark007 codecs, for example, requires both x86/x64 be installed for both to play .mkvs. I expect LAV would require similar?

One2Go

Why not use Media Player Classic Home Theater as an external player with LAV filters installed and you are set. That is what I run on EMC. Everything besides Blu-ray discs and DVD discs will be played back by MPC-HT. I am always leery of these codec packs. Just use MPC-HT with LAV video, audio decoders and the LAV splitter installed and you are set nothing else that will mess things up. Only question then remains do you want to use madVR as your renderer for the best possible video quality from a HTPC.

Why not use Media Player Classic Home Theater as an external player with LAV filters installed and you are set. That is what I run on EMC. Everything besides Blu-ray discs and DVD discs will be played back by MPC-HT. I am always leery of these codec packs. Just use MPC-HT with LAV video, audio decoders and the LAV splitter installed and you are set nothing else that will mess things up. Only question then remains do you want to use madVR as your renderer for the best possible video quality from a HTPC.

I already have MPC-HT installed as well.  Since I just installed LAV, do I need to do anything to have MPC use it/associate with it?

Why not use Media Player Classic Home Theater as an external player with LAV filters installed 

Because for most it is not necessary to use an external player.

If you get the proper codecs installed, WMC should be able to play these files just fine.

One2Go

I already have MPC-HT installed as well.  Since I just installed LAV, do I need to do anything to have MPC use it/associate with it?

On my HTPC I have not even installed Windows Media player so all the extensions are by default assigned to MPC-HT. However in the EMC configurator there is an External Player tab and there you can enter the path to MPC-HT and the extension that should be opened.

@@ebr

Remember WMC relies on WMP and you can't compare the two of them MPC wins hands down every time. It was created by enthusiast that wanted this abandoned product by Microsoft to become the best software player which in my opinion they achieved with now only 3 external filters needing to be installed, LAV video, audio and splitter as well as madVR which tries to achieve the best possible video playback quality. In addition how are you going to have native fps playback in WMP? You can't compare the two of them and settings plus guides for customization and integration with 10 foot remotes are abundant on the Net.

Because most users want to just press play and enjoy the movie rather than going through all of that. I understand some will do that but that's not everyone.

One2Go

Well that is exactly what I do. When I am in EMC, I navigate to the movie or TV episode, then on the remote I press OK, get to the details section with the PLAY button on the screen highlighted and press OK on the remote again and the media plays. All the other stuff to get the best video and audio playback is done on the fly while EMC starts MPC-HT. No keyboard, no mouse or touch pad just a Logitech Harmony 10 foot remote plus popcorn on the side table and my choice of drink which is what you expect in a Home Theater. You remember that I was with MB for years and now switched a year ago to EMBY. After the initial setup of all the pieces in the HT and the EMBY server and client setup I just enjoy the show.

Just handling my setup based on the following sayings that you and EBR should be able to identify with:

You only get as much out of your setup as you put into it. Nothing worthwhile comes easily. Nothing great can be achieved quickly and effortlessly. :)

Still trying to figure this MKV stuff out.

Just ripped an old movie to MKV.  Emby does not see it.  The movie does not show up in MOVIES list.

Below is a pic of how I added it.  Is this not the correct way to add MKV files?  My BR and DVD rips (all in native folder structure) are all added as a folder just like below.

5a9a06e7ebfb5_Capture.jpg

EDIT:  Never mind.  For some reason EMBY was not recognizing the newly added movie with the MKV inside.  I ripped another movie in to it's native folder structure and added that to the Server.  Then all of the sudden Emby now sees the new bluray AND the MKV which was added 2 days ago.

Weird.

Edited by rms8

What does "Emby does not see it" mean?  Where did you look?  Did you run a library scan?  Does it come up in search?