Maximum call stack size exceeded - on start up

jwages

Just opened the emby app on Apple TV 4 and got Oops. Something went wrong. Maximum call stack size exceeded Error loading document HomeView. Happened out of the blue. I force quit but no change. I restarted the ATV and no change. I read other threads about this error being related to problematic characters in file titles. I can’t view the home screen because emby hangs at the oops screen.

Edited by jwages

A new version of the application was released today. Do you have automatic sign in enabled? Have you tried removing the app and installing it fresh? Would you be able to provide a server log?

Thanks!

Hey, corey. The app does sign in automatically. I just deleted and reinstalled the app and logged in with connect, but received the same oops page prior to the home screen loading. Restarted ATV but no change. My buddy @@zmediaserver hosts and might be able to help with the server log.

Hi.  Can you please go to the web app and click on your user icon and post a screen shot of these settings for your user?  Thanks.

5a96a3b5efab1_homescreensettingsweb.png

Saleel77

Im having the same error. Only just downloaded the app today. Have connected to a server with my phone. But on the Apple TV, the above error message is showing.

Please help.

Im having the same error. Only just downloaded the app today. Have connected to a server with my phone. But on the Apple TV, the above error message is showing.

Please help.

Hi. Did you ever get successfully connected and logged in?

At exactly what point do you get this error?  What do you see on the screen and what do you click on before it happens?

Thanks.

Saleel77

I haven’t managed to connect it yet. I can mirror from my iPhone. But the Apple TV starts to log in as soon as I open the app, then says welcome to me and then error message. I have already deleted and reloaded the app a couple of times. Also restarted the Apple TV a couple of times.

But the Apple TV starts to log in as soon as I open the app, then says welcome to me and then error message. 

You are saying this happened the very first time you ever ran the app?  You never selected a server or a user or logged in with a PIN?

Saleel77

Yup. I connnected the server through my iPhone log in. I used Emby connect, entered my pin on my phone. It then said pin accepted on the phone. I hit next on thmy Apple TV. And then error.

Okay, so you did login with a PIN.

Can you please try force-closing and re-starting the app one more time.  I just made a change related to Connect logins and maybe we'll get lucky and it will solve this problem...

jwages

@@ebr

Well, I can't attach an image. Home Screen section 1 is my media small, section 2 is latest media. Everything else is none.  Emby is still not working for me after another forced quit as well as a delete and re-install. I login using Connect.

Edited by jwages

@@ebr

Well, I can't attach an image. Home Screen section 1 is my media small, section 2 is latest media. Everything else is none.  Emby is still not working for me after another forced quit as well as a delete and re-install. I login using Connect.

What exactly do you see on the screen before the error?  What do you click on and what happens?

Thanks.

pbridge

Hi

I too have been having this issue, I have 3 users without auto login. 2 repeatedly failed however 1 worked. 

Based on the above I checked the differences for Home Screen Settings, I found the 1 that was working only had "My Media" under Home screen section 1 all others were set to none. For the failing account I had "My Media" in HS1 and "Next Up" in HS2 when I changed HS2 to none.The account could login without issue.

I have done some further testing but now its working I can set HS2 back to "Next Up" and it still works very strange. Same for the 2nd failing account removed all bar "Home screen 1" log on then reset the home screens and all still good.

Hope this helps others but without being able to recreate the issue again not much help to the developers. 

Thanks

Hi

I too have been having this issue, I have 3 users without auto login. 2 repeatedly failed however 1 worked. 

Based on the above I checked the differences for Home Screen Settings, I found the 1 that was working only had "My Media" under Home screen section 1 all others were set to none. For the failing account I had "My Media" in HS1 and "Next Up" in HS2 when I changed HS2 to none.The account could login without issue.

I have done some further testing but now its working I can set HS2 back to "Next Up" and it still works very strange. Same for the 2nd failing account removed all bar "Home screen 1" log on then reset the home screens and all still good.

Hope this helps others but without being able to recreate the issue again not much help to the developers. 

Thanks

That is helpful to narrow down the issue and is the area I was suspecting although I cannot see yet what it could be.  So thanks.

I'm wondering if maybe it is just the act of editing the settings and causing them to save is what solves the issue.

For those of you having this problem - how long have you had your server install and how long ago were these settings modified (if ever)?

pbridge

I have a Synology server and its had Emby installed for about 18 months, I have always kept up to date.

I don't recall ever changing the default home screen section, although as they are so different I guess I did.

Interestingly the for my accounts

Account 1 (admin)  has been there from the start, this account would fail, had 2 options in the home screen - once HS2 removed it worked.

Account 2 (restricted) has been there from the start, this worked but only had "My Media" in HS1

Account 3 (restricted) was only created perhaps 2-4 weeks back, this had a lot more of the home screens set (6) but also failed to log on. I definitely had not selected these so must have been by default, Again changing HS2 fixed issue.

jwages

On pbridge's advice, I changed my home screen settings by randomly selecting stuff for HS1 HS2 HS3 then saved. No change. Then I mimicked his setting of HS1 set to My Media and all others set to none. After a forced restart on the ATV app, I was able to log in as normal. Then I went back and changed HS2 to Latest Media. Forced an app restart and was still able to login.  

@@ebr, to answer your question, I wasn't clicking anything to cause the issue. It happened every time upon auto login. I would open the app, the login sequence would start, it would show my login name then immediately show the oops screen and hang. 

I am a restricted user. The server I'm linked to is hosted by a friend. I have had an Emby account for several months.

Edited by jwages

Thanks guys.  So it probably definitely has to do with some old piece of data in those settings but I still cannot figure out what that could be.  The app should be able to handle almost anything in there (but, obviously, not)...

jwages

Thanks for the rapid responses. @@ebr, if I can go off topic for a sec, since I'm hosted by a friend I have no control over the items that exist in Library. I see that I can re-arrange the order of items in the library but I'd like to be able to hide certain items. Is this already a function that I'm overlooking?

Thanks for the rapid responses. @@ebr, if I can go off topic for a sec, since I'm hosted by a friend I have no control over the items that exist in Library. I see that I can re-arrange the order of items in the library but I'd like to be able to hide certain items. Is this already a function that I'm overlooking?

Hide which items and exactly where?

jwages

For instance, I show My Media in HS1. So Library appears at the top of my home screen. Library contains items that I can re-order in the HomeScreen settings, such as as movies, tv shows, movies for kids, etc. but it also contains things that the server host wants to see on their interface, like yoga videos for example. I can reorder yoga videos to the end of the library list but I would like to hide it entirely. @@ebr

For instance, I show My Media in HS1. So Library appears at the top of my home screen. Library contains items that I can re-order in the HomeScreen settings, such as as movies, tv shows, movies for kids, etc. but it also contains things that the server host wants to see on their interface, like yoga videos for example. I can reorder yoga videos to the end of the library list but I would like to hide it entirely. @@ebr

Okay.  You would need your Emby admin to go into your user access settings and remove access for you to that library.  Then everything about it will disappear from your interface.

jwages

I’m explaining this wrong. I want the library. I just want to exclude specific folders within it. For instance, the library folders that can be re-ordered in home screen settings. I’d like to see a hide button next to each library item instead of just the ability to re-order them.

I’m explaining this wrong. I want the library. I just want to exclude specific folders within it. For instance, the library folders that can be re-ordered in home screen settings. I’d like to see a hide button next to each library item instead of just the ability to re-order them.

You aren't explaining it wrong.  The term "Library" in Emby refers to one of those things you are calling "folders" in the "My Library" row.  In the server configuration, the administrator can remove your access to those individual items.