Angelblue05

Post-your-log to the rescue!

• Developers
  • 12027 posts
  • Local time: 11:19 AM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:36 AM

Google Home
beta-ish testing...

To participate, send me a private message containing your google home email address.
  1. Follow this link:  https://console.acti...simulatorcreate
  2. Complete the account linking process. Type in "talk to emby home". You will get a reply that your Emby account is not linked.  
        Using the simulator: On the right, click on the debug tab. Copy the url you see into a new browser tab. See below for a visual reference.
        Using Google Assistant: The link should be displayed to you.
  3. Use either the simulator or a google home device to test the skill. As long as your device is using the same google home email address you gave me, you should be able to access the test version of the skill.
You may need to repeat the account linking process more than once while testing.

5a961916baca8_simulator.jpg

What to test:
The invocation word is: Emby home. This may change, depending on feedback.
At this time, not all functions are fully functional. I will let you know when more things are in place to be tested.
  • Go through the initial setup, setup a default player. If you missed the initial prompt, you can setup a default player later, by saying "change the player".
  • Playing video content using phrases such as: "play {title}", "play the latest episode of {title}", "play the movie {title}", "play the show {title}".
  • You can stop playback by saying: "stop playback", "stop playing". Other control such as pause, next, previous are also available.
  • Suggest content, then play it (yes/no), by saying: "suggest something...to watch", "suggest a movie", "suggest a show", "suggest an episode of {show title}"
  • You can now substitute the play action with "resume" or "queue".
  • Play random music by saying: "play music", "play a few songs", "listen to something", "play songs by {artist}", "play songs genre {genre}", "play songs from {album}"
  • Play music by saying: "play the song {song title}", "play {song title} by {artist}", "play the album {album}", "play the album {album} by {artist}", "play the artist {artist}"
  • Play random video (also applies for musicvideo) by saying: "play something", "play a few episodes", "play a movie", "play a movie genre {genre}", "play an episode/a few episodes of {show title}"
  • Next up (I will attach playback later) by saying: "what's next", "next up", "what's up"
  • Recently added (I will attach playback later)  by saying: "recently added", "recently added movies", "what's recently added", "what episode is new"
  • If you have a default player set and it's playing something, content will automatically be paused and resume once your session in Google Home terminates.

New:

• Added "ask emby home to..." *It should terminate the conversation when your request is completed.
  • Seek by saying: "start from the beginning", "go to chapter 5", "seek to the next/previous chapter", "seek to plus/minus 30 seconds (4 minutes, etc.)" (from current position), "seek to 5 minutes" (specific position)
  • You can now substitute the word "play" with "display" to display content. The phrases are the same as play video or play music.
  • Navigation by saying: "open guide", "up", "down", "left", "right", "page up", "left by 2", "select", "enter", "mute", "unmute", "go home", "previous letter", "next letter", "display settings"

New shinies:

• Change audio/subtitles by saying: "change audio", "change subtitles to japanese", "enable subtitles", "disable subtitles"
  • Control the player volume by saying: "change the volume", "set the volume to {number up to 100}"

If you encounter an issue regarding the "what to test" section, please report the date/time of your attempt with a quick description of what you were trying to do. Please make my life easier. Thank you  :)

Edited by Angelblue05, 10 March 2018 - 03:21 AM.

• Abobader, CBers, Tharnax and 7 others like this

#2 1ntroduc3 OFFLINE  

1ntroduc3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Local time: 06:19 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:34 AM

Thanks again for your hard work! 

#3 shred00 OFFLINE  

shred00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Local time: 12:19 PM

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:17 PM

Just to clarify, one has to expose Emby to the Internet for this to be useful, yes?

And that means then that all user profiles need to have a password assigned, right?  There is no way to expose just the needed functionality for Google Home without exposing user login facility?

#4 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 108887 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

Just to clarify, one has to expose Emby to the Internet for this to be useful, yes?

And that means then that all user profiles need to have a password assigned, right?  There is no way to expose just the needed functionality for Google Home without exposing user login facility

Yes it has to be exposed to the internet, but we have settings to allow you to hide users from login screens if that will help.

#5 shred00 OFFLINE  

shred00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:32 PM

allow you to hide users from login screens if that will help.

Hide as in obscure (but leave open to brute-force/guessing)?  Or hide as in actually not exposing user log in facilities?

#6 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 108887 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

hide as in obscure. you need at least one login exposed because the alexa still needs to be able to authenticate.

#7 shred00 OFFLINE  

shred00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

Hrm.  Not a fan of obscurity.  I guess all users are going to need passwords, as much as they will probably not like that.

#8 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 108887 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

Explore the in-network password options when setting up user passwords.

#9 shred00 OFFLINE  

shred00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

Explore the in-network password options when setting up user passwords.

https://emby.media/c...with-empty-pin/

#10 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 108887 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:19 PM

Explore the Advanced server settings that you can use to configure your local network.

#11 clarkss12 OFFLINE  

clarkss12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 745 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

Perhaps, this is not the correct place to post this, but I am having difficulty getting Emby to pair with my account......  I don't see a debug tab.

Attached File  Emby on Google.jpg   71.72KB   20 downloads

#12 y3knik OFFLINE  

y3knik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:43 PM

Thank you for inviting me! Date and Time of test is 27th Feb between 7:15 and 7:40 EST.

Linking worked flawlessly. When I first talked to Emby Home it asked me to pick my default player, found that i only have one active player and asked me to set it up. This worked well.

Playing video content is also working well. It is finding the content I am asking for. If it has confusion, it is clarifying the titles nicely. The search seems to be a bit strange though. I asked it to play "The Pacific Rim" (the movie does not have The in the title to my request was wrong) and it asked me if I want to play The Fast and the Furious, The guardians of the Galaxy or The Gifted. Not sure if this is expected or not. If I search for The Pacific Rim on the webapp, I get no hits.

I tried pausing playback and the app crashed once but worked the second time. Not sure if you can see this on your side with my account, or if you need me to try to reproduce again and send logs. The phrase I used was "pause playback".

Some feedback for consideration from initial run:

1. There are two invocation commands for Google Home. The first is talk to <app name> where the app is then persistent till you exit out of it. This is what seems to have been implemented. The second one is ask <app name> to <perform action>. Once action is performed, the app exits and stops listening. It seems like in the case of emby the second part still continues to listen. Ideally, if I say, Hey Google, ask emby home to pause playback, playback will pause and the speaker will stop listening.

2. If there is no player available, the app crashed. It should probably say no players available instead of something along those lines.

Unrelated question:

On the Roku, the player is not available once I exit out of the emby app on the Roku. Is this true for Android TV as well? I have been thinking about replacing the roku with Android TV. If the android TV player is always available regardless of emby open on the box, then I will have a strong reason to move over with this.

• Angelblue05 likes this

#13 Angelblue05 OFFLINE  

Angelblue05

• Developers
  • 12027 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:53 PM

I will look into this, @y3knik

Thank you for your feedback!

#14 Angelblue05 OFFLINE  

Angelblue05

• Developers
  • 12027 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:19 PM

Some feedback for consideration from initial run:

1. There are two invocation commands for Google Home. The first is talk to <app name> where the app is then persistent till you exit out of it. This is what seems to have been implemented. The second one is ask <app name> to <perform action>. Once action is performed, the app exits and stops listening. It seems like in the case of emby the second part still continues to listen. Ideally, if I say, Hey Google, ask emby home to pause playback, playback will pause and the speaker will stop listening.

2. If there is no player available, the app crashed. It should probably say no players available instead of something along those lines.

Unrelated question:

On the Roku, the player is not available once I exit out of the emby app on the Roku. Is this true for Android TV as well? I have been thinking about replacing the roku with Android TV. If the android TV player is always available regardless of emby open on the box, then I will have a strong reason to move over with this.

1. I will look into it. Thank you

2. Hmm, yeah it should give that message, perhaps there's a small error somewhere, I will check.

Unrelated question:

The skill uses the server remote control. It is connected to your server externally. If you test accessing your webclient externally and click on remote control (Play to rectangle icon on the right), Alexa sees the same list of devices. I don't really have a final answer but hopefully you'll be able to answer your own question by testing this. :)

Edited by Angelblue05, 27 February 2018 - 11:20 PM.

#15 Angelblue05 OFFLINE  

Angelblue05

• Developers
  • 12027 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:47 AM

@y3knik

Thanks for reporting, I found the bug that caused the issue with "the pacific rim". Should be fixed now.

I think having "on {device}" tacked on at the end causes recognition issue with longer titles. I will try to remove them and see if it fairs any better.

Edited by Angelblue05, 28 February 2018 - 01:51 AM.

#16 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 13860 posts
  • Local time: 05:19 PM
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:22 AM

Great work as always @Angelblue05.

#17 jaspalgill OFFLINE  

jaspalgill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 06:19 PM

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:35 AM

Hi, I have managed to get my account linked, I had some issues with old server instances in my EmbyConnect but I cleared them out and all is good.

My default player got set to my laptop Chrome instance and that worked fine to play content, this was away from home so at a remote location from my Emby server.

But how do you change your default player? I used the 'change the player' command but the numbered list comes up blank. If I log into Emby I can an entry for my chrome browser and Chromecast, if I select Chromecast I can see a selection of my Chromecasts. But the Google Home doesn't see them.

I'll test this again in a few days when I'm back home, maybe the detection will be better.

But thanks for all the effort on this so far :)

#18 Angelblue05 OFFLINE  

Angelblue05

• Developers
  • 12027 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:37 AM

Thank you for the feedback. Change the player is correct. Not sure about the blank players, I will check the logs. When did you send the request?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 y3knik OFFLINE  

y3knik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

@y3knik

Thanks for reporting, I found the bug that caused the issue with "the pacific rim". Should be fixed now.

I think having "on {device}" tacked on at the end causes recognition issue with longer titles. I will try to remove them and see if it fairs any better.

Thanks for the quick investigation! The responsiveness is awesome.

Test Time: 735 AM EST (I really should be getting ready for work instead)

I am running into a new problem now. On the Roku, Pacific rim is currently highlighted in the continue watching area. I asked it to play The Flash. My intention was for it to play the newest unwatched episode of the series. Seems like its only parsing the play command and not the rest of the title. The command Play the latest episode of The Flash worked fine though.

I dont think I tried any titles with The last night properly so not sure if this is an issue that started after the change or if it was there before though.

#20 y3knik OFFLINE  

y3knik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:44 AM

Also, just tried the command "ok google, ask emby home to play" and the app crashed. Time is 7:43 AM EST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users