SecureChannelFailure on FreeNAS

jrs

weaselwebb

Why do you feel you're dead in the water? We have already established that this doesn't affect any core functions of the server.

Hey 

This casues issue on my playback to kodi, gives me an error on the kodi screen then wont play anymore, when I check the log that is the only error I see

Edited by weaselwebb

Why do you feel it causes a problem with Kodi? Have you considered that they might be completely unrelated?

weaselwebb

Like I said got an error message back from the Emby Kodi addon to check the log , I went in to the server log file and the only error I could see was this one, I could be wrong but not sure

Like I said got an error message back from the Emby Kodi addon to check the log , I went in to the server log file and the only error I could see was this one, I could be wrong but not sure

I would suggest following our guidelines in how to report a problem. thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update on the possibility of Emby for FreeBSD running with .NET Core instead of mono. Microsoft has updated their FreeBSD instructions with a note saying that the build process is currently not compatible with .NET Core 2.1:

https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/wiki/Building-.NET-Core--2.x-on-FreeBSD

At this point we've switched all of our development over from 2.0 to 2.1, so we need them to resolve that first. Once that's done then we'll resume looking into it. Thanks !

• Like 1

MRobi

Just a small update on the possibility of Emby for FreeBSD running with .NET Core instead of mono. Microsoft has updated their FreeBSD instructions with a note saying that the build process is currently not compatible with .NET Core 2.1:

https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/wiki/Building-.NET-Core--2.x-on-FreeBSD

At this point we've switched all of our development over from 2.0 to 2.1, so we need them to resolve that first. Once that's done then we'll resume looking into it. Thanks !

If I'm understanding this correctly, are you saying those of us on FreeBSD/FreeNAS should hold off on updating to the new beta's beyond 3.4.1 where it lists "Update to .NET Core 2.1 RC1" because 2.1 is not compatible as of yet?

No, not for that reason. That statement only applies to the releases that use .NET Core.

However, there is a another reason why you might not be able to update. The latest beta releases are now targeting mono 5.2+ so that we can start using newer api's. So unless you can update the mono installation, then you shouldn't apply the update.

MRobi

No, not for that reason. That statement only applies to the releases that use .NET Core.

However, there is a another reason why you might not be able to update. The latest beta releases are now targeting mono 5.2+ so that we can start using newer api's. So unless you can update the mono installation, then you shouldn't apply the update.

Running the 'pkg info mono' command inside my iocage jail I get

Name           : mono
Version        : 5.2.0.215

But I manually installed instead of using the plugin

Can you get mono 5.4? Because i may want to bump up to that as a minimum.

Kent

Running the 'pkg info mono' command inside my iocage jail I get

Name           : mono
Version        : 5.2.0.215

But I manually installed instead of using the plugin

What version of FreeNAS are you running?

MRobi

5.2.0.215 is the latest in the FreeBSD port tree so that one is as simple as a pkg update/pkg upgrade. Anything beyond that would start getting more complicated and not something I've ever looked into. I'll browse around and see what I can find.

What version of FreeNAS are you running?

FreeNAS 11.1-Release

• Like 1

adrianwi

Please don't, at least not until 5.4 is available to update via ports (currently 5.2)

• Like 1

The problem is that not being able to use newer apis is going to put the server at a disadvantage because it will not be the best that it can possibly be.

adrianwi

If people can't update mono to 5.4 easily, I suspect is disadvantaged server is preferable to a broken one ;)

BSD is the only platform though that this applies to. All other platforms have either moved onto .NET Core or are already running newer versions of mono. So now at this point it creates a difficult situation where keeping the server targeting older libraries is hurting the other platforms.

MRobi

Directly from the mono site in it's section regarding BSD

It is typically recommended that BSD users NOT download the standard source tarball from the Mono download page and attempt to build/install it but use their ports system instead. The Mono ports typically contain platform specific patches which have either not been merged upstream or to work around idiosyncrasies in the system.

The port does seem to be regularly maintained with a minor update done on May 9. The build went from 4.8.1.0 to 5.2.0.215 on Jan 30. That doesn't give me much faith that 5.4 is around the corner since 5.4 was released in Oct 2017, a good 3 months before the port tree moved to 5.2.

Yea we have to move forward though. We do have a build developer that can potentially help with the 5.4 port, but we already have a lot for him to do as it is so I'm not sure it will happen in time for the next server release. We can give it a little while longer and then if it doesn't look like anyone in the BSD community is going to take on the 5.4 port, then we can have him do it. 

Or by that time the .net core build process will be easier and friendlier and then we can just use that.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
mueslo

I'm on Mono 5.10 from the ports tree. However, btls still isn't available, despite the changelog claiming it is.

I wonder if some configuration is required to the mono environment. btls might not be used by default.

mueslo

I wonder if some configuration is required to the mono environment. btls might not be used by default.

No, I had to manually modify the Makefile and configure.ac and manually build mono to get it to work. The patchnotes are incorrect.

• 3 weeks later...