Error: SecureChannelFailure When Checking for Application Updates

DarWun

pr3dict

haha I have a problem...

I did apt-get remove emby-server and then I downlaoded the file and tried to unpack...

What I do wrong. 

5a99d58f5bb5c_uytoh.png

pr3dict

I have a user named emby so when it creates files it has the same permissions as emby so emby can do its thing and not have a permission problem.

DarWun

Ok so you are running our OBS based packages, and that is indeed our legacy installation package. You can continue to use this for as long as you like. This edition does not auto-update either so your update process is just the typical apt-get update linux command. We are no longer doing any new development on these packages (but we will post new server versions) so you would just have to ignore the error, which really shouldn't bother you because as I previously mentioned, it is only used to display if an update is available. it's not actually used for updating.

If you would like to switch to our newer installation package, there are numerous benefits: this error goes away, faster performance, more stable, self-contained dependencies, which means no more mono, etc.

However, this would require you uninstall your current package, and then install the new package fresh: https://emby.media/download

Just so I am clear, is this applicable to the Synology NAS installation packages as well?  I'm not familiar with the term "OBS based packages".  So maybe that is the clue that it isn't applicable.  But just to be safe I figured I'd ask.  I haven't seen anything about a newer installation package that should be used for updating Emby on Synology.

Edited by DarWun

Just so I am clear, is this applicable to the Synology NAS installation packages as well?  I'm not familiar with the term "OBS based packages".  So maybe that is the clue that it isn't applicable.  But just to be safe I figured I'd ask.  I haven't seen anything about a newer installation package that should be used for updating Emby on Synology.

No, you can ignore everything i said there. He's piggybacking his Debian question into a Synology thread, and that's usually what ends up happening :)

• Like 1

DarWun

Great, thanks !

I logged in to root on my Synology NAS using PuTTY.  I typed "export MONO_TLS_PROVIDER=btls" on the command line and hit enter.  There was no error given.  But there was also no feedback of any kind given to indicate that anything had happened.  I wasn't sure if a reboot of the NAS was necessary.  But I did so just in case. After the server restarted, Emby still throws up a "SecureChannelFailure" error when checking for server updates.

As others have mentioned, this isn't a big deal as notifications and delivery of updates for the Synology version of Emby come through the NAS package center.  So as long as it doesn't affect delivery of plug-in updates from github (which so far it doesn't seem to), all is good.

solabc16

Hello All

For the Synology/XPEnology users (to avoid confusion) who are seeing this error reported in the logs, can you let me know which country you're in - either here or via PM, if you'd prefer not to post that publicly.

It may be CDN related and hence why it's not happening universally; if it was a limitation of the released binaries, we would expect this to fail consistently across all platforms/locations.

With the latest releases there really shouldn't be any problem with GitHub's switch to accepting TLS v1.2 only.

Best

- James

DarWun

Hello All

For the Synology/XPEnology users (to avoid confusion) who are seeing this error reported in the logs, can you let me know which country you're in - either here or via PM, if you'd prefer not to post that publicly.

It may be CDN related and hence why it's not happening universally; if it was a limitation of the released binaries, we would expect this to fail consistently across all platforms/locations.

With the latest releases there really shouldn't be any problem with GitHub's switch to accepting TLS v1.2 only.

Best

- James

Canada home base here.

mutu310

Hello All

Best

- James

Malta.

Darkjeje

Hello James,

When I want to install the update in my DSM, I click to download, but when the installation begin, I have a message which indicate more or less "This package have no autorisation for installation".

If I choose "trust level" to any publisher, the installation is OK, but not when I choose trusted publishers,...

I am in France.

Thank you for helping

Edited by Darkjeje

• 2 weeks later...
Glyde62

I am also getting this error

Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.)

No solution yet?

Glyde62

Not yet but it will not affect any core features.

yeah everything seems to be working as usual

Just don't like seeing errors

solabc16

Hello @@Glyde62

What Synology hardware platform are you running on and what version of DSM?

Anybody else who is experiencing this issue, please can you post the same.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello James,

When I want to install the update in my DSM, I click to download, but when the installation begin, I have a message which indicate more or less "This package have no autorisation for installation".

If I choose "trust level" to any publisher, the installation is OK, but not when I choose trusted publishers,...

I am in France.

Thank you for helping

Hello @@Darkjeje

This is a different issue to the "Error: SecureChannelFailure When Checking for Application Updates", which we have seen on a handful of systems.

Typically it seems to occur because the certificate has 'disappeared' from Package Center - we don't know at the moment what causes this.

Have a look at...

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/53177-cant-update-package-from-unknown-published/?p=514213

...and...

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/53177-cant-update-package-from-unknown-published/?p=516065

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

Hello @@Glyde62

What Synology hardware platform are you running on and what version of DSM?

Anybody else who is experiencing this issue, please can you post the same.

Best

- James

Hi, 

I have this issue on a DS414 with DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1, available if you need more information.

DarWun

Thanks @@kesm.

@@DarWun, @@mutu310 and @@Glyde62 - if you could confirm what Synology hardware platform are you running on and DSM version as well, that would be helpful.

Best

- James

@@solabc16 My setup is the same as @@kesm 's...Emby on a DS414 NAS with DSM 6.1.5-15254 Update 1.  The DS414 has a Marvell Armada XP MV78230 dual core processor (i.e. Armadaxp package architecture). Let me know if you require any further information.

Cheers,

DarWun

Edited by DarWun

solabc16

Hello All

We've got to the bottom of this now and are working on a solution to resolve this error, with the hope of including it in the next stable release.

As Luke mentioned above https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56391-error-securechannelfailure-when-checking-for-application-updates/?p=557639, this issue does not affect any core features.

I'll post further updates in due course and may ask for volunteers to assist with testing the fix.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

solabc16

Hello All

A quick update, internal testing has been positive so far and we now have a package available for 'armadaxp' based systems, starting with release 3.3.1.6-beta.

If you are experiencing this issue and are currently signed-up to the beta channel, let me know so I can make the updated package available for you to test.

Best

- James

• Like 1

Hello All

A quick update, internal testing has been positive so far and we now have a package available for 'armadaxp' based systems, starting with release 3.3.1.6-beta.

If you are experiencing this issue and are currently signed-up to the beta channel, let me know so I can make the updated package available for you to test.

Best

- James

That's my case, I'm available for testing

solabc16

Hello @@kesm

If you refresh Package Center now, you should find 3.3.1.6-beta available.

Let us know how you get on...

Best

- James