Unable to install on win 10

Breathwork

Breathwork

I have tried to install emby using the windows installer from the web site and it crashes.

I downloaded the portable version and extracted to a folder and this works.

When I attempt to update the version in the folder via the management console, it to just reports nothing, other than restart server and I am back to the original version.

I need help...

Geoffrey

Please try the installer from the website again and if there is a problem let us know what the exact error message is. Thanks.

• Like 1

Breathwork

The download from github has worked perfectly so no probles now. 

Thanks for the support.

I will do this at the next upgrade and see what happens.

• 1 year later...

I am trying to install the Emby Server (Ver 4.3.1.0) on my Win10 machine and get the following Error Msg:

Error

Error creating shortcut

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned form a call to a COM

component

I am running Windows 10 Pro  -  Version: 1909  -  OS Build: 18363.952

What is causing this error on the install?  Am i missing a Win10 service that should be running?

Thanks for your help -

MarkH99

Happy2Play

I am trying to install the Emby Server (Ver 4.3.1.0) on my Win10 machine and get the following Error Msg:

Error

Error creating shortcut

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned form a call to a COM

component

I am running Windows 10 Pro  -  Version: 1909  -  OS Build: 18363.952

What is causing this error on the install?  Am i missing a Win10 service that should be running?

Thanks for your help -

MarkH99

Isn't that just a error for Emby shortcut?  Are you able to launch EmbyServer.exe and or create your own shortcut?

Luke - I am getting the error almost immediately after the download and expansion of the EmbyServer software.  The installation steps do not appear to be executed.

Happpy2Play - The installation process is not getting far enough to create the folder and programs in the \Program Files folder for Emby.  The EmbyServer.exe program is not installed yet.

Thank you both for your help

MarkH99

Happy2Play

Luke - I am getting the error almost immediately after the download and expansion of the EmbyServer software.  The installation steps do not appear to be executed.

Happpy2Play - The installation process is not getting far enough to create the folder and programs in the \Program Files folder for Emby.  The EmbyServer.exe program is not installed yet.

Thank you both for your help

MarkH99

Emby does not install to \program files.  Emby installs into to "C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server". 

Is this a local user or admin account?

Last resort would be getting the portable version and place it in the folder of your choosing.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play - Thanks for your suggestion.  I checked the User directory and it was in fact installed.  I did create a Desktop Icon for the EmbyServer.exe file and am ready to give it a try.  Before I do, one question:

I currently have the portable version I am using and I would like to copy over the Config File form it so I do not have to completely re-config the new server installation.  Would you happen to know the name of the config file I need to copy over with all the definitions for the file locations, users and preferences in it?

MarkH99

Happy2Play

Happy2Play - Thanks for your suggestion.  I checked the User directory and it was in fact installed.  I did create a Desktop Icon for the EmbyServer.exe file and am ready to give it a try.  Before I do, one question:

I currently have the portable version I am using and I would like to copy over the Config File form it so I do not have to completely re-config the new server installation.  Would you happen to know the name of the config file I need to copy over with all the definitions for the file locations, users and preferences in it?

MarkH99

You should be able to copy the Emby-Server\programdata folder from one to the other.  Is there an issue with the portable that you needed to do an install?

Are you planning to run both?  If so each server will need to be setup with different ports.

Edited by Happy2Play

I have upgraded my Media Server and wanted to install the server version instead of the portable one.  I am only planning to run the full EmbyServer version on this machine.

I copied the entire \programdata folder over from the portable version to the new Emby Server location and it is working fine.

Thanks so much for your help Happy2Play -

One unrelated question - 

Do you know if there are any plans to fix the current Direct Play capability form the HDHomeRun Quatro device to stream H264 natively (without transcoding everything)?  Currently, the HDHomeRun Extend version send over the feed that way, but I was not sure if there was any plans to fix this problem from the Emby side?  In other words - prevent having to purchase a new Extend device just to by-pass the continual Live TV feed transcoding performed by the Emby Server today on each stream originating from the Quatro device.

Thanks again for all your help Happy2Play -

Best Regards

MarkH99

Edited by MarkH99

Happy2Play

I have upgraded my MediaServer and wanted to install the server version instead of the portable one.  I am only planning to run the full EmbyServer version on this machine.

The only difference is the portable allows you to place the install where ever you like.  Not knowing your setup, the only issue you may run into is paths if they are not the same in some cases.