Emby News

PrincessClevage

PrincessClevage

I see Plex has a supported “News” function that combines several different local and internet sources to provide a News section. This might be an attractive alternative to some that don’t want to be lead like sheep and solely consume the mainstream news media.

Any consideration been given to supporting a Emby News section?

d2ff44f884bce43602676e1c8489e621.jpg

• Like 1

WilhelmStroker

Funny as the addition of Plex news and the fact that initially it couldn't be turned off was one of the reasons I started my move to Emby. There was plenty of backlash on the Plex forums too...

PrincessClevage

Funny as the addition of Plex news and the fact that initially it couldn't be turned off was one of the reasons I started my move to Emby. There was plenty of backlash on the Plex forums too...

I think Luke has the best solution offering News as an additional optional plugin

WilhelmStroker

I think Luke has the best solution offering News as an additional optional plugin

Yup that would be a great solution and probably one I'd try out.

notla49285

It would make for a nice channel plugin but right now our focus remains on personal media.

This. Please don't be like Plex.

A Plugin that could use Haystack (similar to http://watchup.com)would be the way to go.  Plex purchased Watchup and then redid contracts and lost much of the content they had.   For US political coverage as an example they used to have articles from both CNN and Fox News but now both are gone.  Arguably two of the top domestic news sources.

Plex's news coverage at best is left wing (political) and not very well organized at that.  Regardless of your political orientation it's always nice to be able to get multiple points of view so you yourself can draw your own conclusions based on the best set of information.  Also you will see political videos in sporting sections as an example as their categorization isn't very good.  They of course force the content on everyone who downloads a clients and there is no way to override this at the server level (lame).

So a plug in would be ideal especially if it could pull the information from an existing site like Haystack or similar.

Carlo

Jdiesel

I'd hate to see developer resources wasted on creating and maintaining this. There are a hundred other news aggregate apps that already do this.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

^^ same.  There's enough shit news floating around, last place I need to see it is in my media, which I use to disconnect from the garbage real world.

• Like 1

If we really wanted to I would think most apps could handle it. But we generally want to focus on things you can do inside emby, rather than ways to get out of it.

all4dom

I agree you don't want to leave emby but my thinking was when cutting cord & only getting local channels this helps when you need a little additional content yollthis satisfys the household.

Keep in mind you could still access these types of sites in other apps you could run on your device(s). Haystack is a good one.  Just add it to the list of other apps many cord cutters use such as Netflix, Youtube, NFL, NBA, NHL, ESPN, etc...

Keep in mind with Emby's DVR you could setup series recording of your local broadcast news channel(s) and or add an IPTV tuner for Bloomberg or similar that covers the day's news.

While maybe nice for some people we don't need it built in.