New Server Setup

lepitismak

lepitismak

If you're transcoding, which container is irrelevant. Only one sub title will be used in the transcode. Don't waste your time on finagling hardware acceleration. You'll disappear down a rabbit hole. Those subtile tracks will likely force transcoding. Just build big.

I did not understand :(

If you're transcoding, which container is irrelevant. Only one sub title will be used in the transcode. Don't waste your time on finagling hardware acceleration. You'll disappear down a rabbit hole. Those subtile tracks will likely force transcoding. Just build big.

Ahhh. well in that case go big with like a xenon with as many cores as possible right?

mastrmind11

Embedded subs will likely force a transcode regardless of what container you use.  Buy/build a beefed up server and be done w/ it.

Edited by mastrmind11

Doofus was basically saying that closed captioning will likely force the emby server to do transcoding no matter what container format is used so its best to rely on a beefy computer that can handle many streams all transcoding.

CBers

Before, I used only domestically in my house. But some friends started using it and it made a larger proportion than I expected.

Make them get their own servers  ;)

lepitismak

Embedded subs will likely force a transcode regardless of what container you use.  Buy/build a beefed up server and be done w/ it.

I'm kind of a layman (it was given to realize). could you send me some place that I can buy and get a sense of what I'm going to invest?

mastrmind11

I'm kind of a layman (it was given to realize). could you send me some place that I can buy and get a sense of what I'm going to invest?

https://pcpartpicker.com

and the previous links I put up regarding which CPU.  Then just build around the CPU.

lepitismak

Doofus was basically saying that closed captioning will likely force the emby server to do transcoding no matter what container format is used so its best to rely on a beefy computer that can handle many streams all transcoding.

Yes Yes. Actually as I do not understand the subject what I wanted (it seems joking) is ... with that X computer you get up to Y transcoding streams, you see? based on this would arrange the purchase. Taking advantage, at the moment, what is interesting to consider ... only a robust processor or also a frame video card?

lepitismak

Make them get their own servers  ;)

If they are willing to give me 100 $ to do this it is because they should not have the minimum knowledge for such.

lepitismak

Charge them a monthly fee say its their new netflix service so that they can pay some of your servers electric bill :)

I can only do this if it works fluidly. Which does not happen since I only have an i3 as a processor and it probably will not be able to transcode the desired stream.

lepitismak

That would work. But I don't think he has access to that, where he is.

I can invest up to 2000 $ which is what the group will raise with the help of everyone. The problem is that it was not clear if this would work fluidly, at least not for me.

lepitismak

What confuses me is that I have an i3 at home and at this point it uses plex (which is definitely not an option anymore) and wanted to use the emby from then on. He performed a test and he is currently running with 10 transcodes at the same time and all with the status of playing.

What confuses me is that I have an i3 at home and at this point it uses plex (which is definitely not an option anymore) and wanted to use the emby from then on. He performed a test and he is currently running with 10 transcodes at the same time and all with the status of playing.

lepitismak

Check this b7dc8992d305814b7e9b755098949cbe.jpg

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

Is that $2000 US? If you don't need to all the other parts like a PSU and case, you should be able to get something that'll work, for that price. Unless you buy a used one. I paid close to $2000 for my Threadripper rebuild.

Guest asrequested

There are lots of factors to consider. Far too many to list, here. Software transcoding is the only guarantee to make it work with that kind of load, without problems. You can try Intel 7th or 8th gen CPUs, and you might just be able to do what you want.

mastrmind11

Here, check out this for an idea of what you want. https://pcpartpicker.com/b/BzfH99

I'd get a way cheaper video card and probably less RAM (though it's cheap enough so why not go big).  

Just a find a case that fits those guts and you can probably do 15-16 simultaneous transcodes.

Guest asrequested

That's a good selection. And it raises a good point. The Intel gen 8s have 6 cores 12 threads, and has the iGPU. You would have the choice. 12 threads might get you where you want, if the iGPU, doesn't.

https://ark.intel.com/products/126684/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_70-GHz

Edited by Doofus

lepitismak

Got it. You work on this setup. What makes me strange is that in plex an i3 can take 15 transcodes and in the emby for the same need of a robust machine like that. I saw several ads on the internet of people selling or emby service as if it were a netflix pirate. My case resembles a lot however it is appenas as well-known. Will it be if they do it the same way? If you wanted to do what I'm proposing, would you do what I'm thinking of doing? (buy a machine with the power to transcode everything?)