New Server Setup

lepitismak

lepitismak

As in plex, is it possible to create optimized version in emby? if it generates all the correct codecs and only the legend has to be transcoded, does it still "weigh" a lot on the processor?

mastrmind11

Got it. You work on this setup. What makes me strange is that in plex an i3 can take 15 transcodes and in the emby for the same need of a robust machine like that. I saw several ads on the internet of people selling or emby service as if it were a netflix pirate. My case resembles a lot however it is appenas as well-known. Will it be if they do it the same way? If you wanted to do what I'm proposing, would you do what I'm thinking of doing? (buy a machine with the power to transcode everything?)

It's physically impossible for plex to transcode 15 simultaneous streams w/ your hardware, unless maybe every device is on a local network, and you're confusing streaming with transcoding.  It's just not within the capability of ffmpeg and your CPU architecture and your video card.  So I'm wondering, and as others have said in previous posts here, what are the conditions where this is possible?  It's actually physically impossible for an i3 to accomplish this so I'm very suspect.  If what you're proposing that you can resell Emby as a netflix replacement, your not in the right place, and if your story holds up and you actually have friends/family who connect to your box w/ 15 transcodes happening on an i3 I think screenshots are in order.........

lepitismak

I do not have to lie even because I used plex only in my house without divulging it on the internet or in other places. My friends who saw the system and asked to share. But in that I have already reached the point of having 25 people and today only 20. What happens is that it is impractical to use my computer in a few moments, so the idea of ​​buying a server.

mastrmind11

So then I assume you're confusing direct playing and transcoding since you demo'd the system on your local network, which was likely not transcoding anything.  Either way, the plex comparison is moot.  I have linked a system a few posts up that will likely fulfill your needs, with suggestions on tweaks to save money.  Start there.

lepitismak

I do not have to lie even because I used plex only in my house without divulging it on the internet or in other places. My friends who saw the system and asked to share. But in that I have already reached the point of having 25 people and today only 20. What happens is that it is impractical to use my computer in a few moments, so the idea of ​​buying a server.

I could not find. Could I send it again?

lepitismak

With this configuration, it would be possible to perform on average how many transcodes at the same time ...

Intel® Xeon E3-1225v2
4 Cores x 3.6 GHz
16 GB DDR3
250Mbps FULL

lepitismak

No where near what you want. Try an i7 8700k

With this how many transcode i can get?

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

There's no way to truly know, until you test it. But, it has 12 logical processors.....AND, it has the latest iGPU, which when used with the Z370 chipstet, has a great deal of potential. But as I said earlier, if you want a guarantee, then you'll need something like mine.

mastrmind11

With this how many transcode i can get?

Enviado de meu SM-G955F usando Tapatalk

Dude, are you even reading this thread?  I literally posted that exact information on the first page of this topic...   https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56314-new-server-setup/&do=findComment&comment=548138

lepitismak

Something like this will probably get you around 12-13 simultaneous transcodes https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-1650+v3+%40+3.50GHz&id=2389, but does not support Quicksync or VAAPI.

This can probably do 15 https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=3098 and does support Quicksync, though I'm not 100% sure.  Others on here will have to chime in.

thx alot

lepitismak

Really, you're right and making transcoding for multiple users is totally unfeasible. I decided that I will convert my entire library, it may take a while but that's what I'm going to do. One question, what is the best way to convert the files to the standard mp4 / aac format for dual audio movies?

lepitismak

I saw that the HandBreak allows two audio tracks, which in my case would be the idea. In remux is this also allowed? An additional doubt, in the mp4 container, is it possible to leave a built-in caption selectable?

lepitismak

my computer is pretty weak, taking almost 3h to convert a movie. Is there any online service that I could send the movie to and get it converted? Yes, I'm dreaming.

Relative

Try going with a dual CPU motherboard, with a Xeon CPU that's just old enough, it's price is low.

Plex has some recommendations that should easily apply to Emby as well.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201774043-what-kind-of-cpu-do-i-need-for-my-server/

Example

Xeon E5-2630 V3

That CPU has a passmark score of ~13,000, should be enough for 7 - 8 transcoding jobs.

Having a motherboard with 2 of them should get you ~26,000, a passmark score, that would theoretically handle this type of load.

Add some 16 GB or RAM, at least 3 hard drives in a RAID 5 or similar and you should be good...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xFYQ7W

If you go to the second hand market (eBay) you should be able to find that processor under $500 (Remember you'll need them to be the exact same... So if you can get them in a bundle for that purpose, even better)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk