New Server Setup

lepitismak

lepitismak
Good morning my friends.

After much reluctance and trying to find a way to directly reproduce my files without transcoding, I have decided that I can not fight against something that can not be overcome. With this, I am planning and budgeting to buy a server that will be responsible for this transcoding. However, I would like some information on this question.

1) Is there a video card that will help me in this process?

2) What are the recommended settings so I can start to operate and transcode up to 15 screens at a time? Initially my premium account allows me to do just that (from what I understand).

3) Is there a recommended setup for this?

4) On this case, windows is the best os for that?

I count on your help.

Thank you.

Edited by lepitismak

Well, I guess one big question that might help you save money on server hardware is.. Are you planning on streaming recorded content or live tv channels? Also what sort of client devices do you have or plan to use and are you flexible on those devices?

If you are going to be streaming recorded content you might be able to completely eliminate all need of transcoding by recording or converting the content into a more player friendly format like making mp4's with say aac sound and h.264 ( i think for video ).

For live tv i am not sure if its more economical to invest in higher end server hardware to handle transcoding with ease or to have client devices that dont need to transcode. The mi box i just picked up is pretty nice but its 70$ 15 of them would be 1050 and thats without figuring in tax. 1k can buy a hell of a video card and let you use much cheaper client devices but i have also heard some hardware acceleration things having a limit on how many streams they can transcode.

mastrmind11

Are you really going to need to transcode 15 streams simultaneously?  If so, there is no way you can do this cheaply since you're going to need some pretty beefy high-end hardware.  And a video card alone is not going to cut it.  Which OS really comes down to what you're comfortable with (or want to learn, I suppose).  Quicksync will work out of the box in Windows assuming you have the proper Intel hardware.  VAAPI will work on Linux provided you have the proper Intel hardware.  Both will certainly help with the transcode problem, however hardware acceleration is not going to be able to cover 15 transcodes at once unless, as I mentioned, you fork out some cash for a super high end CPU, and of course, have the disk io and bandwidth to handle it.  

lepitismak

Well, I guess one big question that might help you save money on server hardware is.. Are you planning on streaming recorded content or live tv channels? Also what sort of client devices do you have or plan to use and are you flexible on those devices?

If you are going to be streaming recorded content you might be able to completely eliminate all need of transcoding by recording or converting the content into a more player friendly format like making mp4's with say aac sound and h.264 ( i think for video ).

For live tv i am not sure if its more economical to invest in higher end server hardware to handle transcoding with ease or to have client devices that dont need to transcode. The mi box i just picked up is pretty nice but its 70$ 15 of them would be 1050 and thats without figuring in tax. 1k can buy a hell of a video card and let you use much cheaper client devices but i have also heard some hardware acceleration things having a limit on how many streams they can transcode.

Converting I think is not feasible. I have 3 HD totaling over 6 TB of movies and series. To convert all this does not have the least condition.

lepitismak

Are you really going to need to transcode 15 streams simultaneously?  If so, there is no way you can do this cheaply since you're going to need some pretty beefy high-end hardware.  And a video card alone is not going to cut it.  Which OS really comes down to what you're comfortable with (or want to learn, I suppose).  Quicksync will work out of the box in Windows assuming you have the proper Intel hardware.  VAAPI will work on Linux provided you have the proper Intel hardware.  Both will certainly help with the transcode problem, however hardware acceleration is not going to be able to cover 15 transcodes at once unless, as I mentioned, you fork out some cash for a super high end CPU, and of course, have the disk io and bandwidth to handle it.  

What settings would you recommend for this?

mastrmind11

What settings would you recommend for this?

By settings do you mean hardware?  And you are truly trying to transcode to 15 devices simultaneously?

lepitismak

By settings do you mean hardware?  And you are truly trying to transcode to 15 devices simultaneously?

Before, I used only domestically in my house. But some friends started using it and it made a larger proportion than I expected. I talked to everyone who is 20 and they agreed to help financially pay for the server so everyone could watch quietly. There are only 20 people, but each of them shares with brothers, girlfriends and so on. Today I have a simple setup. i3 + 4gb memory + video card gtx 1060

Guest asrequested

You're gonna need an Intel Xeon or AMD Threadripper, at least, to be able to begin to accommodate what you want to do. I do have one question. What is your internet upstream bandwidth?

Edited by Doofus

lepitismak

You're gonna need an Intel Xeon or AMD Threadripper, at least, to be able to begin to accommodate what you want to do. I do have one question. What is your internet upstream bandwidth?

link 100/100

lepitismak

version of intel xeon?

lepitismak

My problem is because I'm from Brazil.

Movies are always in dual audio + subtitles. The default container accepted is the .mp4 and as far as I know it is not possible to convert everything to

container .mp4 with two tracks of aac audio and embedded legend, or does it have?

mastrmind11

Something like this will probably get you around 12-13 simultaneous transcodes https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-1650+v3+%40+3.50GHz&id=2389, but does not support Quicksync or VAAPI.

This can probably do 15 https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=3098 and does support Quicksync, though I'm not 100% sure.  Others on here will have to chime in.

Edited by mastrmind11

lepitismak

Something like this will probably get you around 12-13 simultaneous transcodes https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-1650+v3+%40+3.50GHz&id=2389, but does not support Quicksync or VAAPI.

even considering I have a video card to help? What other way would you recommend that I do this? to convert the entire library to standard formats?

Not to make things even more complicated, but you might want to consider some type of vpn or reverse proxy or something like that if you are going to have this expensive server with ports open to the outside world. I dont really have much advice on what to use as a server i dont know what the capabilities are of the mp4 container and what you need is more than i have ever built.

lepitismak

Is there any efficient way to convert this library? Actually, she's all on google drive. From what I understand, emby needs the container to be .mp4, the video codec is mpeg4, the audio codec is aac. But I'm from Brazil and I need subtitles. The only container I know of that accepts built-in caption is mkv. or am I wrong?

mastrmind11

even considering I have a video card to help? What other way would you recommend that I do this? to convert the entire library to standard formats?

Video card is going to do basically nothing as NVENC is limited to 2 accelerated transcodes only.  You need an Intel CPU that can do Quicksync/VAAPI or just a beastly Xeon or i7 that can just do it by raw horsepower.  I think your best bet is to convert your library, as much of a pain as that is.  Should be do-able w/ a set and forget I would think.

• Like 1

lepitismak

Video card is going to do basically nothing as NVENC is limited to 2 accelerated transcodes only.  You need an Intel CPU that can do Quicksync/VAAPI or just a beastly Xeon or i7 that can just do it by raw horsepower.  I think your best bet is to convert your library, as much of a pain as that is.  Should be do-able w/ a set and forget I would think.

How could I convert this library and still keep the caption embedded (selectable)? I currently use mkvtoolnix for this task.

Is there any efficient way to convert this library? Actually, she's all on google drive. From what I understand, emby needs the container to be .mp4, the video codec is mpeg4, the audio codec is aac. But I'm from Brazil and I need subtitles. The only container I know of that accepts built-in caption is mkv. or am I wrong?

mkv is a good container also. It will depends greatly on the client device weather or not it can direct play or if it needs to be transcoded.

mastrmind11

Yep, you need to figure out what client devices are being used and convert to a format the majority of them can play natively.  The audio is fine, so you'll probably just need to do a container swap.  Though I suppose it also depends on what subs are embedded and whether they need to be burned in during playback.

Edited by mastrmind11

lepitismak

mkv is a good container also. It will depends greatly on the client device weather or not it can direct play or if it needs to be transcoded.

The goal would be not to limit where it would be possible to reproduce.

lepitismak

Yep, you need to figure out what client devices are being used and convert to a format the majority of them can play natively.  The audio is fine, so you'll probably just need to do a container swap.

The problem is this ... you can not predict it. I was thinking about asking for something around $ 100 each to work this out and I know they would be willing to pay for it. However, from what I understood the most viable way is to convert everything. How can I do this?

mastrmind11

The problem is this ... you can not predict it. I was thinking about asking for something around $ 100 each to work this out and I know they would be willing to pay for it. However, from what I understood the most viable way is to convert everything. How can I do this?

Again, you need to figure out what client devices are being used and convert to a format that is stream friendly on the *majority* of the devices hitting your server, it could very well be mkv.  But if you just want to throw money at the problem, the 2 CPUs I linked to previously should probably get you close.  Just google around them to figure out compatible components.

Edited by mastrmind11

lepitismak

Again, you need to figure out what client devices are being used and convert to a format that is stream friendly on the *majority* of the devices hitting your server, it could very well be mkv.  But if you just want to throw money at the problem, the 2 CPUs I linked to previously should probably get you close.  Just google around them to figure out compatible components.

Imagine that I want to play on all devices compatible with the emby. The ideal format would be: CONTAINER: MP4 VIDEO CODEC: MPEG4 AUDIO CODEC: AAC LEGEND: EMBEDDED How could I do this efficiently?

Guest asrequested

If you're transcoding, which container is irrelevant. Only one sub title will be used in the transcode. Don't waste your time on finagling hardware acceleration. You'll disappear down a rabbit hole. Those subtile tracks will likely force transcoding. Just build big.

yep if he can get 100$ from everyone and thats 20 people 2k can buy a lot of computer and good amount of storage. I was thinking if he had everything in mp4 and mkv and all the audio was aac the only thing that might need some horsepower would be closed captioning, but i dont know much about CC because i basically dont use it at all.