FR: Server - Dashboard shortcut

godbodian

godbodian

I had a thought, the new updates to the configuration interface are great but maybe someone with extra time on their hands could create a dashboard thats not tied to an internet browser for viewing, editing and configuring. Then link that view to "ctrl M" as a shortcut, otherwise it remains hidden in the notification area of the taskbar much like it does currently. Also I would think repeated button presses of "ctrl M" should do nothing outside of bringing the window to the top, as opposed to opening multiple windows of the same configuration.

Again its just a thought.

mentasm

You'll probably have better luck posting in the Feare Requests forum and using the correct thread naming

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

You could create a new shortcut. 

Set its path to http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/dashboard.html

Set its hotkey to CTRL-ALT-M (CTRL-M seems to be taken). 

It loads in your browser of choice. Though this doesn't check the number of instances running for the page. Could even get a bit more sophisticated and run it in kiosk mode so you get rid of most of the browser chrome.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Might actually be able to write a powershell script to launch the window in a browser if it not open. If it is open, then bring that browser window to the foreground.

godbodian

My point was to do away with the browser. I think with all the features you guys keep adding although initially in its minimalism you departed from the stand alone configuration app/program, I believe now you almost have to go back to it. Dont get me wrong I know it works as is, but I think that if you made the configuration table/window a part of the server program but still separate it would be more effective as you have people spending so much time in their native browsers due to the metadata addons and others.

I'm afraid that is just not gonna happen.  Our configuration interface is browser-based so that it is cross-platform and will run on just about any device.  You can fully configure our server from your phone if you wish.  We won't be going back to a proprietary Windows config app.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
godbodian

I understand what you're saying and not to beat a dead horse but to subject some clarity, I wasn't talking about a proprietary app as much as a specialized browser window where a designed control/command key function would pull it up. I understand the need for it to be web-based and I don't disagree but I was speaking of a keyboard shortcut that if you guys decided upon which would more so LOOK proprietary while offering the function I was requesting, as opposed to actually being proprietary.

I apologize for any confusion or frustration.