"Auto" for Android Mobile over Mobile data or external Wi-Fi issues

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Keeping the web app music tests, transcoding seems to be stable so far (on mobile data, not sure about external WiFi) but playback gets stuck when the next song is about to start, the loading icon keeps looping indefinitely and the only way to fix it is to reload the web page but sometimes it doesn't fix the problem, on the screenshot the current song was the finished one not the next one:

5d77fd369f46c_Screenshot.png

Edited by Richard Branches

Richard Branches

I would give it a try again later today.

I just gave it a try and now everything is getting transcoded into FLAC again and playback still takes too much to start whether using the underpower Samsung Galaxy J1 or the LG G3.

Richard Branches

I meant in terms of advancing to the next track.

Let me check again because this morning I tested one song and it was still transcoding to FLAC and I stopped playback immediately, hold on...

Richard Branches

Yes, it still takes too much to move to the next song, in fact, the whole interface takes too much time to move, for example, going to music -> playlists -> open any playlist takes too much to load, and the songs I tested were transcoded to a very low quality like the below screenshot, I tested this with the LG G3 which is faster than the underpowered Galaxy J1:

5d7941475162a_Transcoding.png

Richard Branches

I forgot to mention that when I go to a playlist with too many songs in it (the one I try has 1310 tracks) the web app becomes unresponsive, I have to close the web page to be able to browse the interface again.

Richard Branches

But it does advance?

Yes, after testing several songs, it appears to advance to the next song faster than before. I'm going to test this with the Galaxy J1.

Richard Branches

Testing the Galaxy J1 I notice the next song advances but it's much slower than the LG G3, I imagine it's because it's an underpowered phone, however, this is only under mobile data (or maybe on external WiFi) because it's fast when playing directly in my LAN.

• 1 month later...
Richard Branches

Hello @@Luke I got a question:

Despite the problem of FLAC getting transcoded into FLAC when the upload limitation in settings is very low (I've always used 0,5 Kbps), since my upload speed is now faster (8 Mbps), I set the upload limitation setting to 6,5 Mbps and I went at least once in different days to a friend's house in which his download internet speed is 4 Mbps, I tested different audio resolutions and this is what I got using "Auto":

320Kbps MP3 -> Always played directly without stutter.

FLAC 44,1Khz/16 bits -> Always played directly without stutter.

FLAC 44,1Khz/24 bits  -> Always played directly without stutter. "Auto" was doing its job perfectly.

FLAC 48Khz/24 bits  -> Most of the time they played directly without stutter, only a couple of songs were transcoded to AAC. "Auto" was doing its job perfectly.

FLAC 88,2Khz/24 bits  -> Sometimes they played directly without stutter and sometimes they were transcoded to AAC. "Auto" was doing its job perfectly.

FLAC 96Khz/24 bits  -> Although the upload speed (6,5 Mbps) is fast enough to play this quality, the download speed was slower (4 Mbps) so all the time they were transcoded to AAC, only one song played directly without stutter. "Auto" was doing its job perfectly.

FLAC 192Khz/24 bits  -> They were always transcoded to AAC for obvious reasons (the upload speed was not fast enough to play them directly). "Auto" was doing its job perfectly.

As you can see FLAC 44,1 in 16 and 24 bits always played directly (I've made several tests in different days with those two qualities) so my question is this:

If FLAC 44,1/16 bits have always played directly without stutter, why the songs in 192 Khz and 96 Khz qualities weren't transcoded into FLAC 44,1/16 bits instead of AAC if the network conditions were optimal at that very moment?

My point is: I guess that's the only exception where FLAC should get transcoded into FLAC because the network conditions were optimal and capable of playing that quality, otherwise it should transcode it to AAC and that's OK, but I think the idea is to try to maintain the best audio quality when possible if the network conditions allow it.

Thank you.

Richard Branches

Please delete this comment.

Transcoding something into flac would end up making it really large, much larger than the original file. That would defeat the purpose of transcoding in the first place.

Richard Branches

Transcoding something into flac would end up making it really large, much larger than the original file. That would defeat the purpose of transcoding in the first place.

I see, I suppose it's because the server is using HLS... thank you for clarifying my concern.

• 1 month later...
Richard Branches

Although the web app has been working perfectly with "Auto" using mobile data or external WiFi, the latest stable Android mobile app (3.0.87) is still struggling to keep up, I installed and being testing the app yesterday and today and although the server is not transcoding the files to FLAC anymore, it's not transcoding them to AAC either, specially when playing high bitrate FLACs (192khz and 96Khz), it always play those directly so they stutter:

5deece50b19b1_directplaying.png

Richard Branches

My hope lies in the separate mobile data menu to do what you suggest, so I won't have to switch that back and forth anymore.

Richard Branches

Yes, but it's useful for external WiFi, not for mobile data, we already discussed this in the other thread (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75611-android-mobile-separate-quality-setting-for-mobile-data/), the problem right now is the Android app is not transcoding to AAC like the Web App.

external WiFi, not for mobile data

There's no way for the web app to know if it's mobile data or external wifi.

Richard Branches

There's no way for the web app to know if it's mobile data or external wifi.

Right, but that functionality can be implemented in the Android and iOS apps.

• 2 months later...
Richard Branches

Version 3.1.5 of the Android app it's not transcoding to FLAC anymore when using mobile/external wifi but it's not transcoding to AAC either, the web app is working flawlessly with this but the Android app is going backwards. What gives?