"Auto" for Android Mobile over Mobile data or external Wi-Fi issues

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

The logic really needs to include everything and work the same for movies & TV Shows.

Imagine a movie that has 5 different audio tracks in it.  You only use 1 audio track at a time but the file being delivered for direct play still contains all 5 audio tracks.

Those 4 "other" audio tracks still very much take up bandwidth and still need to be counted.  Same with internal subtitles or any other track in the media file.

Then a new threshold should be added, currently we have 320Kbps followed by 1Mbps, so a 512Kbps between the two could be more suitable, at least for me.

Edited by delacosta78

Then a new threshold should be added, currently we have 320Kbps followed by 1Mbps, so a 512Kbps between the two could be more suitable, at least for me.

Yes that would be a fine compromise. Thanks.

Richard Branches

Yes that is a problem. I will test that today. Thanks.

I was wondering what did you get?

Unfortunately i cannot reproduce as it transcoded to AAC. I believe you, as your log is evidence. Can i get a copy of this file so that i can try to test with the exact same conditions? Thanks.

Richard Branches

Unfortunately i cannot reproduce as it transcoded to AAC. I believe you, as your log is evidence. Can i get a copy of this file so that i can try to test with the exact same conditions? Thanks.

All FLAC files are getting transcoded regardless if they are 24 bit or 16 bit, my upload speed is too slow to send you that big FLAC file...

Remember that I have set an upload limitation of 0,5 since my upload speed is limited to 1Mbps, however, that seems to be working because all FLACs are getting transcoded, the problem is the server is not converting the files into AAC but into the same FLAC format.

Edited by delacosta78

Could you use ffmpeg to cut a sample file down to 3 minutes in duration?

How to use ffmpeg to do this:

https://www.bugcodemaster.com/article/cut-videos-using-ffmpeg

Let us know if that isn't clear and we can give you exact ffmpeg command line to run.

You could then test this 3 minute sample to make sure it does the same thing you are reporting and if so upload that to Luke since it will be a smaller file.

Richard Branches

I understand. i'm just having trouble reproducing it. What device and version of android?

LG G3 Android 6.0, I used to have an Alcatel phone with Android 7.0 and it was the same.

Richard Branches

Could you use ffmpeg to cut a sample file down to 3 minutes in duration?

How to use ffmpeg to do this:

https://www.bugcodemaster.com/article/cut-videos-using-ffmpeg

Let us know if that isn't clear and we can give you exact ffmpeg command line to run.

You could then test this 3 minute sample to make sure it does the same thing you are reporting and if so upload that to Luke since it will be a smaller file.

I uploaded the whole song in Google Drive, here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qdkWCvI32HsvU_VJQz_dpnHxAVnpdS-A

Richard Branches

Thank you for doing that. I realize it was a pain due to your upload bandwidth.

It is, but I forgot I could use the upload speed of my 4G mobile data LOL.

• 4 weeks later...
Richard Branches

Although you didn't mention anything about this issue in the release notes of 4.0.2 server, I decided to test this again and it seems songs are getting transcoded correctly, I've tested the feature for an hour and so far all the songs are getting transcoded when using mobile data, however, the dashboard needs a little bit tweaking:

When a song is transcoded the server displays "Direct playing" but it clearly shows it's getting transcoded, after that it appears as if the song was never transcoded:

5c658a0c1b0a9_Transcoding1.png

My suggestion is to display instead the words "Transcoding song" and "Transcoded song" before and after to better acknowledge the user about what was made to the song, maybe a direct access to the log could be suitable as well:

5c658a495f427_Transcoding2.png

I also found the interface of the app faster than before when using mobile data, it used to become so slow that I had to stop using it after a while because it stopped responding.

I'm gonna keep testing this to confirm.

Edited by Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Meanwhile the new 512Kbps limit you added works like a charm, 320Kbps Mp3s are playing directly while FLACs above that limit are getting transcoded correctly, I think you should ditch that auto setting and let people select their desired limitation instead...

Richard Branches

Maybe adding a limitation for external wifi and a limitation for mobile data, with an external wifi connection we can set the highest limitation we want according to our upload speed limitation while on mobile a 96Kbps limitation will help to save data, that way we won't need to change those settings everytime we get connected to either connections.

Edited by delacosta78

• 4 weeks later...
Richard Branches

I came up with the idea of taking my Android TV device to another place with internet, so I could connect the device to the modem/router with an ethernet cable and test how the music is handle in this scenario, as you know my upload speed is limited to 0.5 and the download speed of the other location was 5Mbps.

The Android TV app only has one quality option usually set to "Auto", so when I started to play some 24bit FLAC files, every single file got transcoded to 128Kbps MP3, which surprised me because I thought I was going to have the same problem of the mobile app.

This is what happens on the server while transcoding:

5c883871a688d_Transcoding.png

And this is what still happens on the mobile app, FLAC files transcoded into FLAC with a lower quality:

5c88391322938_Screenshot3.png

I couldn't upload a log because I deleted them by accident  :angry:

After this test I still insist that external wifi connections should have a separate setting for audio and video like the ATV app while mobile connections should be limited to a fixed 320p/96kbps for video and audio respectively to save data.

Edited by delacosta78

• 3 months later...
Richard Branches

After almost 4 months I discovered the issue with "auto" setting is also present in the web player, I have to switch to 512Kpbs fixed setting in order to play music, the only device where "auto" is working correctly is Android TV, I wonder if the issue is also present on Apple devices:

5d1a64968faa5_screenshot1.png

5d1a64aef0c95_screenshot2.png

The auto measurement may not always be perfect. If you need a specific value then you can always select one using the settings. Please let us know if this helps. thanks.

Richard Branches

The auto measurement may not always be perfect. If you need a specific value then you can always select one using the settings. Please let us know if this helps. thanks.

It has never worked, ever since I started this topic.

Edited by Richard Branches

You mean flac transcoded to flac? Sorry this topic has spiraled into multiple discussions that I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're referring to anymore.

Richard Branches

You mean flac transcoded to flac? Sorry this topic has spiraled into multiple discussions that I'm afraid I'm not sure what you're referring to anymore.

Yes, that's the only problem this feature is facing, that's what I've been discussing ever since I discovered it.

Ok, i still have not been able to reproduce but will try to hunt it down. Thanks.