"Auto" for Android Mobile over Mobile data or external Wi-Fi issues

Richard Branches

Happy2Play
17 minutes ago, cayars said:

Well my question was with the server set to 8 Mbps and the file only being 5.1Mbps why is it transcoding VS direct playing?

The transcode reason was that "Media bitrate exceeds limit".

The Auto algorithm is doing its own thing when probing the connection and totally ignores set streaming limit.  That is the way I interpret it.

Yes that could do it but I am bit surprised in the difference on the same device/network from the two apps.

Richard Branches
Just now, Happy2Play said:

The Auto algorithm is doing its own thing when probing the connection and totally ignores set streaming limit.  That is the way I interpret it.

Me too.

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

Take a look at the log, it should say somewhere between those lines the bitrate that worked with my current network condition.

ffmpeg-transcode-bfe7de0b-b6b8-433d-b547-b363f5862297_1.txt 154.01 kB · 1 download

The returned protocol information is returning a really low bitrate for said connection.

&VideoBitrate=928000

• Like 1

Richard Branches
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

The returned protocol information is returning a really low bitrate for said connection.

Exactly and that's the reason why it's getting transcoded even when the bitrate of the file is below the upload limit, something the Android app is failing to do.

11 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

My guess would be something about the connection is fooling the server into thinking it is local.  That will cause it to not apply the internet limit.

Luke is going to take a look at what may be going on here.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Richard Branches
On 7/9/2020 at 7:45 AM, ebr said:

My guess would be something about the connection is fooling the server into thinking it is local.  That will cause it to not apply the internet limit.

And it's still present on beta version 3.1.44 😭😭😭😭

• 2 months later...
Richard Branches

Hello @ebr, please remind @Luke about this, thank you.

Edited by Richard Branches

• 3 months later...
Richard Branches

Hi @ebr I just noticed that you guys finally fixed the problem on any of the recent versions of the stable Android app, but I found one little problem I will explain in another topic.

Thank you so much.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Richard Branches

Unfortunately it was partially fixed, although video and music are transcoded when their bitrate is higher than the upload limitation set in the server, they are NOT transcoded when their bitrate is below the upload limitation and the download speed on the other side (mobile data or external Wifi) is not fast enough to play the media without stutter, the web app does it perfectly but the Android mobile still fails in that regard, for example, when the upload speed limitation in the server is set to 4Mbps and the download speed of the moble connection is around 2Mbps, therefore:

Quality Web app Android Mobile app
FLAC 192Khz/24 transcodes correctly transcodes correctly
FLAC 96Khz/24 transcodes correctly Doesn't transcode
FLAC 88.2Khz/24 transcodes correctly Doesn't transcode
FLAC 48Khz/24 transcodes correctly Doesn't transcode
FLAC 44.1Khz/24 transcodes correctly Doesn't transcode
FLAC 44.1Khz/16 transcodes correctly Doesn't transcode
320Kbps MP3 Plays directly Plays directly

As you can see above, the mobile app still doesn't do what the web app does, the current upload and download speed limitations are not enough to play those files without stutter and the web app has always been doing this job correctly.

Don't tell me it's because the web app doesn't support 24 bit files, otherwise the 44.1Khz/16bit one would have been played directly.

320Kpbs MP3s are the only ones that play directly because they fit into the current upload/download limitations.

On 6/3/2021 at 12:12 PM, Richard Branches said:

Unfortunately it was partially fixed, although video and music are transcoded when their bitrate is higher than the upload limitation set in the server, they are NOT transcoded when their bitrate is below the upload limitation and the download speed on the other side (mobile data or external Wifi) is not fast enough to play the media without stutter, the web app does it perfectly but the Android mobile still fails in that regard, I hope Emby devs improve it, for more info, please visit:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/97749-multichannel-flac-to-aac-transcoding-issues-on-mobile-data/&do=findComment&comment=1026326

Are we having the same conversation in two different places?

Richard Branches

I was clarifying my previous statement where I said that it was fixed, that's all 😉🤭

• 1 year later...
Richard Branches

Hello, I was unable to test this until today because my ISP had issues opening the Emby's TCP port to be able to access the server outside my LAN.

I have an upload speed of 20Mpbs but I limited the threshold in the server to 6.5Mbps just to test this out but all songs are playing directly, however, the web app is working perfectly with this.

The Android app also gets so slow to navigate, it's irritating.

There are no ffmpeg logs for the Android app.

Richard Branches

Doing more tests, this is what it currently happens with the mobile app when playing music and videos:

Quality Web app Android Mobile app
FLAC 192Khz/24 transcodes correctly transcodes if the bitrate is higher
FLAC 96Khz/24 transcodes correctly Doesn't transcode
FLAC 88.2Khz/24 transcodes correctly Doesn't transcode
FLAC 48Khz/24 transcodes correctly Doesn't transcode
FLAC 44.1Khz/24 transcodes correctly Doesn't transcode
FLAC 44.1Khz/16 transcodes correctly Doesn't transcode
320Kbps MP3 Plays directly Plays directly

192Khz songs get transcoded if the bitrate is higher than the limitation imposed in the server, for example, if the limitation if the server is 6.5Mbps and the song has 7Mbps, the song will be transcoded, however, the app is ignoring the download speed of the mobile connection, therefore, music below the upload limitation is NOT getting transcoded when the mobile connection speed is slower than necessary to play the file without stutter.

Videos are also affected, they are not transcoded for the same reason as music.

I repeat, the webapp is working correctly, the Android mobile is not.

• Thanks 1

Richard Branches

The music quality setting is set to "Auto", if I set a manual setting transcoding works correctly but that's not the problem, the problem is that "Auto" is not detecting the download speed of the external connection (whether WiFi or mobile), something the webapp does correctly.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 6:10 PM, Richard Branches said:

The music quality setting is set to "Auto", if I set a manual setting transcoding works correctly but that's not the problem, the problem is that "Auto" is not detecting the download speed of the external connection (whether WiFi or mobile), something the webapp does correctly.

OK thanks for the update.

• 2 weeks later...
Richard Branches

Oh god, I can't test this right now because the port is closed again due to the fact that my public IP changed and the ports I requested to my ISP are opened for the previous one so I have to wait until it gets back.

I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Thank you for understanding.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
Richard Branches

Today I was finally able to test this again because the ISP reluctantly agreed to open the Emby TCP port, therefore, here are my findings:

1) The Android app still fails to transcode the media when the download speed of the mobile connection of the external Wi-Fi connection is slower to avoid stutter, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, though the web app has always worked with this perfectly. When it doesn't work there are no transcoding logs, please let me know if you need the server log instead.

2) When I skip songs fast the queue gets cleared abruptly for some reason so no songs can be played in the same session, I have to start playback again, this happens with the web app as well.

3) Could you please fix this for good? 🤨

The now playing screen keeps showing "FLAC" when it should display "Transcoded to AAC 96Khz", PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!, I've been asking for this since forever!:

Screenshot.thumb.png.fd81cc520b1a21129bdd152f4f58ca86.png

Richard Branches

To give you an idea, the average download speed of the mobile data on my phone is between 1 to 3 Mbps and the server has an upload speed limitation of 24 Mbps, therefore, everything higher than the mobile data download speed should be transcoded regardless of the upload speed limitation set in the server, something the web app is doing perfectly but the Android app still doesn't.

jaycedk

Is the wifi active when you start the stream, and then you get out of reach of wifi, and mobile takes over ?