Emby Server/Apps: Support External Audio Tracks for Movies/TV

sydlexius
Go to solution Solved by softworkz,

sydlexius

I'm a big fan of services such as Rifftrax, and I hate having to manually mux files every time I purchase another release.  Much in the same way that external subtitle file support was added, it would be nice to have external audio track support for TV and movies added as well.  I wouldn't expect Emby to handle the offset calculations needed to sync the audio.  It's not too difficult for me to modify that now.

• Like 21

• 5 months later...
amaanx5h

Support for external audio should not only be in Ember Server/App, but also be in Plug-in of Emby for Kodi

I'm an Asian and I love to watch Hollywood movies but when I don't understand them most of the time, I download an audio track in my native language and play it with Hollywood and English movies simultaneously to enjoy it. I do not download dual audio movies because I find local encoders having much worse picture quality.

There are many websites that provide us with audio tracks of Hollywood movies and many media player are capable of playing external audios like:

VLC

MPC

Kodi (video and external audio file name must be same to be detected and played along)

I've used Plex and found it really frustrating because it cannot perform this task, neither it has parental controls (free), so I switched to Kodi but it also has no greater features than EMBY! I installed it today and updated all my libraries, I really loved it and want to use it as my Media Server, its Combo with Kodi is really awesome, I don't like to watch movies in Web Browsers so used its Plugin for Kodi, Now everything is fine except:

Emby lacking ability to play an external audio.

Please introduce this feature. Not only for Web player but it must work with Kodi Add-on so there should be an option in Kodi to play external audio if using Emby Plugin and server in it.

I shall be very very thankful too you. I really found Emby best of all but if it your team design an Emby Media Player for desktop PC, it would be really really great.

Thank you.

Edited by amaanx5h
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
unisoft

Wow, this sounds like a big ask of the Emby Devs, especially when lots of other features more in demand.

Wouldn't the language tracks be encoded as alternative audio tracks in the media?

Different releases in different countries may have different edits etc (possibly due to classifications for example) so how could they know that and still sync the audio?

Yea I would suggest muxing them into the video files. This is the type of thing that while we have nothing against it, there will probably always be something higher on the priority list.

I might be missing part of this but to me this seems like it would be far better as a plug in or 3rd party app that could check your media for movies without your native language then pull down a track from 3rd party web service and remux that audio track into your files.

This would allow automation is some format, needs only be done one time per file and would then allow the file to be played back in any system.  By adding it as a new track and only remuxing it would be just as easy to remove the track if it were wrong as well.

I would not be surprised if someone has not already written a script to do this.

• Like 1

sydlexius

Please note that such a request isn't always about listening to a dub of the movie in a different language. For me, I purchase releases from Rifftrax and currently mux them as commentary tracks. It would be far nicer to rename these files in a schema similar to subtitles and be done.

I'm aware that it won't work in every scenario, as I have to deal with adjusting audio time offsets periodically.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

amaanx5h

Yea I would suggest muxing them into the video files. This is the type of thing that while we have nothing against it, there will probably always be something higher on the priority list.

Remuxing takes a lot of time and the picture quality of the movie files get worse than the original, why are you Emby developers not entertaining our this request.

Many many media player offer this feature. If it is possible to play an external audio with a movie file with a few clicks, why people should be in need to spend their hours in remuxing the movie?

This feature is as important as external subtitles.

Please implement it. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Edited by amaanx5h
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

amaanx5h

Please note that such a request isn't always about listening to a dub of the movie in a different language. For me, I purchase releases from Rifftrax and currently mux them as commentary tracks. It would be far nicer to rename these files in a schema similar to subtitles and be done.

I'm aware that it won't work in every scenario, as I have to deal with adjusting audio time offsets periodically.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

+1

I agree.

• Like 1

We are entertaining the request. We entertain all requests. It's just that we usually choose based on what gets the largest support from the largest number of users.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Remuxing takes a lot of time and the picture quality of the movie files get worse than the original, why are you Emby developers not entertaining our this request.

Many many media player offer this feature. If it is possible to play an external audio with a movie file with a few clicks, why people should be in need to spend their hours in remuxing the movie?

This feature is as important as external subtitles.

Please implement it. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Remuxing it may take a while if the input files are big, but not as long as you might think, besides Remuxing doesn't affect at all the quality of the original file, it just changes the container its comparable to the time that it takes to copy the files from a folder to another. May be you are thinking of encoding the file that would take a lot of time and might degrade the original video quality.

Enviado desde mi Inco Aurora II mediante Tapatalk

Edited by Mibok
  • Like 2

amaanx5h

We are entertaining the request. We entertain all requests. It's just that we usually choose based on what gets the largest support from the largest number of users.

Thank you for your kind act, I appreciate your interest in people's requests.

I don't know when we will have enough users to support this feature, it may take months or may be years, so people who want this feature will need to wait that long.

Please don't wait for enough users to support it, just introduce it, please

Thank you.

• 5 months later...
droopified

+1

i personally dont need this for myself but i do know a lot of household members that would benefit from this. for example, if you are not native to the country you are in, you might not get a movie with that audio track. so what you could do, like with my family, is get the movie from where you are and have a friend or family member from the country you want the audio track from and play it along side your movie. this works great for my parents using kodi. the only problem is they have roku but its not hard to setup a server with emby or plex but neither support it. so the only way i seen is having a fire device with kodi. if emby or plex ever figure out how to do this they will take my money same day. 

• 3 months later...

Recently found what Emby can't do that. Most of the time I watch foreign movies in my local language and there are usually (lucky to me) few different voice studios who voice over the movies. And some times only localized sound is available for a movie and it is hard to add original track to the file (that's how I found Emby doesn't support external audio). Most of the time it is much easier just to add a track to movie folder than injecting that track into mkv or any other video files. And I at least know how to do that - many other people don't.

Edited by w31

• 1 year later...

Looking at the first post it has only received 8 votes so far.  Maybe supplying more information would be of help.

Where can these external sound tracks be downloaded from for free like we can with subtitles? I took a quick look at https://www.rifftrax.com/ which was mentioned but didn't see anything about this type of thing on there. I didn't look hard however.

Why can't these external sound tracks be remuxed back into the main movie outside of Emby so that they would be available to all video programs?  This way you could also adjust offset that will likely need adjusting as well on many videos.

• 1 month later...
Eselter

I need this for other reason. My TV doesn't support DTS, emby can transcode unsupported audio to ac3 but converting dts to eac3 (using ArcSoft DTS Decoder) is better choice.
I don't wanna change original file so I always keep 2 copies of movie first with dts and second with eac3 but this cost a lot of space.

sydlexius
23 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Why not just mux the ac3 track into the original yourself? 

It's entirely possible to have multiple tracks. That may get to be cumbersome.  I'd rather have the ability to pick it, and even better have some interface to tinker with the playback time offset.

16 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

If you mux it correctly, you don't need to adjust sync later. 

Amen, Amen I say to thee.

Or for atheist's, get your shite aligned correctly in the original file and you won't have issues with sync in playback. LOL

All kidding and joking aside crusher11 is spot on.

• 5 months later...
pauljpowers
On 9/23/2018 at 10:22 AM, Luke said:

@Luke How do I show support for this feature? This feature is high on my personal priority list. Is there a list of possible features somewhere that we users get to vote on? And the highest ones will be worked on (if possible)?

Typically something like this would need to get upvoted in a feature request by users to get included.
This isn't likely going to be requested by many people as the general way of doing things like this is to remux the file to include the audio directly in the media file.

It is not uncommon to have 6 or 7 different language tracks in a file as well as stereo, AC3, DTS and other formats in the same file.

Remuxing the media file itself will work NOW as compared to likely having to modify every client to allow external audio tracks.

10 minutes ago, pauljpowers said:

@Luke How do I show support for this feature? This feature is high on my personal priority list. Is there a list of possible features somewhere that we users get to vote on? And the highest ones will be worked on (if possible)?

Hi, yes all of the ones that you see here in our feature request forum. If you compare the activity it gets compared to other feature requests, that should give you an idea of where we will prioritize it.

Of course sometimes there are easy throw-ins that will jump the line, but this is not one of those.

pauljpowers

That's too bad. Because I think this feature would be a game changer to streaming media players. But I understand limited resources.