EPG123 - Now provides XMLTV data

kanipek

Sammy
I un-checked / disabled unwanted channels in epg123ClientGUI.

I opened epg123 and clicked Save & Execute.

I did both these operations in an elevated state.

I went into emby and deleted my tuners and disabled all the tuners in the guide data section therein.

I went into ServerWMC and hit reload channels from WMC.

When I went back to look at Emby, it was doing a "Refresh Guide Data" task that I didn't request.

In Emby LiveTV Guide the undesired channels still show. I am remote so I cannot open WMC to look at the guide to see what is showing there.

I'm not sure what went wrong..

garyan2

I don't know the best sequence of things, but ... restart ServerWMC and if necessary restart emby.

• Like 1

Sammy

I need to be more patient.. the Emby server did a "Scan Library" and when done all was well! :)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Sammy

@@garyan2 @@kanipek

I'm moving past WMC as I'm having issues with it and am getting wary of supporting Ceton Echo Extenders with it. I can tune and watch stuff in both Emby but not WMC right now.

I want to set up epg123 as my guide provider using xmltv. I just tell emby where to find the xmltv data in my epg123 folder?

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of this vs the native guide that Emby imports directly from SchedulesDirect?

What "holes" are in the guide in Emby when using xmltv?

TIA

kanipek

@@garyan2 @@kanipek

I'm moving past WMC as I'm having issues with it and am getting wary of supporting Ceton Echo Extenders with it. I can tune and watch stuff in both Emby but not WMC right now.

I want to set up epg123 as my guide provider using xmltv. I just tell emby where to find the xmltv data in my epg123 folder?

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of this vs the native guide that Emby imports directly from SchedulesDirect?

TIA

In my opinion there are no holes.

As we discussed previously - The only real issue I have is the mapping of channels, mine do not automatically map and probably won't ever unless MCTV changes there channel naming to match what is given by SD. So it took some work but I came up with an automated method (which I shared with you via PM??) that takes the latest XMLTV file removes all the channel data, saves the remainder to a temp file. Then combines my edited channel data and that temp file and spits out an XMLTV file with all my correct channel info (names, numbers, logos) plus the updated program data from the temp file. Point Emby to that XMLTV file and your good to go.

I would uncheck the option in EPG123 automatically add/download new channels - It will add more lines to the XMLTV file and break the process and therefore break the XMLTV file, the formatting will be off. You can still add new channels but you will need to edit the script to change the number of lines to remove.

Sammy

The only way to get custom numbering in emby right now, as far as I know, will be to use ServerWMC and do your custom numbering in WMC. Also, any disabled channels in WMC will not be transferred to emby so you should end up with a clean guide based on WMC settings. I'm not sure how you got a situation of seeing both your custom numbering and the Spectrum numbering in the guide. Do you have each tuner in emby twice (once for ServerWMC and once for the network tuners) and Schedules Direct setup as a provider?

Now that I'm working on XMLTV for EPG123, I've noticed emby still has some gaps in their XMLTV support. I would consider them minor, but it will bring it to the same level as the other providers ... support Video attributes (HD, 16:9) and Audio attributes (DD, DD+, stereo, ...). There is also a gap in XMLTV itself in that you can't indicate LIVE events. With ServerWMC, you get the HD and Live indicators in the guide.

These are the "holes" I referred to.. I guess I should have said "gaps". 

I guess with xmltv data ou don't get Live Events or video / audio attributes? Maybe I'll still use WMC as a "backend" to get this data but need to figure out what's up with WMC and OTA Tuners not working when they do work with Emby.

BTW, I'm good with the new numbering system because that looks a little cumbersome to set up and maintain..

Edited by Sammy

Sammy

Everything OK, @@garyan2 ?

Wondering if I should use epg123 xmltv in Emby, ServerWMC (having some issues at present) or just let the native guide import in Emby do it's thing? The data doesn't seem quite as "Rich" with the native guide data even though it is a SchedulesDirect JSON pull.

kanipek

If you mean json isn't as good as XMLTV, content wise I would agree.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Sammy

It seems Gary's statement above is the opposite?

Is there a SBS comparison somewhere?

kanipek

As far as I am concerned. That is not content related.

It depends on what you consider important.

I personally prefer seeing the premier tag in the EPG.

So XMLTV is superior. Others would say that they need the HD tag etc.

I just wish that all the EPG tags were available under both types of EPG data.

Sammy

IIR, Premiers is an option when searching and filtering the guide in WMC? I usually use MMC on my phone to schedule WMC and Premiers is available there.

Was Gary forcing it into the mxf and Motz from Ceton doing it to if not in the JSON data?

It seems the xmltv is missing live, HD and the like as well?

I hadn't looked but yes, Emby doesn't show this data.

garyan2

Here is a quick compare between XMLTV (provided by EPG123), ServerWMC (guide by EPG123), and native emby Live TV with Schedules Direct.

5af62c99e98f7_comparison.png

XMLTV does not show 'LIVE'.

Native emby Live TV with Schedules Direct doesn't show 'PREMIERE'.

The 'premiere' can be fixed/added into future builds, but the only way an XMLTV will be able to provide a Live indicator is if there is an agreed upon method... XMLTV does not have any defined method to indicate a live event.

For actual program details, here's another comparison...

5af62f75e42bc_comparison2.png

XMLTV and emby Live TV can have random TV ratings.

ServerWMC has a 1 star rating for everything.

The above issues can be handled in future emby builds and a possible change to serverWMC for the star rating.

What I was hinting at that was missing from the emby guide is details such as Dolby Digital sound, Closed Captioning, Language, Original Air Date, Actors/Characters, ... All that information is available for the 3 methods, just not displayed.

5af631aca1ffb_comparison3.png

• Like 1

garyan2

I guess I should also note, the next release of EPG123 will provide the ability to choose between 4x3 and 2x3 artwork for the series images. The 2x3 looks pretty good in emby, and actually does a good job in WMC as well with the Tweak WMC feature of EPG123.

kanipek

I don't know the specifics.

I know that I can get the premiere tag using XMLTV.

To me having that available outweighs the other tags. I know what is HD. I don't need a tag to tell me that.

Gary can speak more to the specifics. I don't think it is a matter of forcing anything. But what Emby supports at this stage.

One thing I will throw out to you is this - leave WMC behind and embrace Emby LiveTV as it exists today. It gets better with most every update. There are hiccups along the way. Sure.

Channel management not as robust as WMC? Yes. It will get there. At some point. Are you going to be frustrated with Emby from time to time? Yes. Are you frustrated by WMC?

As I mentioned to you I still use WMC. But strictly for movies and only because of the keyword recording capabiliry. Everything else I do with Emby.

Is Emby different? Yes.

This response is far to long already. Jump off the fence!

• Like 1

garyan2

If using the XMLTV generated by EPG123, yes. All that would be needed is to direct emby to the epg123 folder and the epg123.xml file.

For advantages/disadvantages ... I would say EPG123 has more safeguards in place to handle SD JSON server problems that will avoid any corruption of the guide we've seen in the past on emby. I know the issue has been addressed, but don't know how complete it is or how successful it was. I also don't know how much of the XMLTV data gets pulled into emby (3 days? 7? 14? certainly not the 21 that we can pull). Another advantage of XMLTV by EPG123 is the ability to limit the channels downloaded ... not something currently available in emby let alone the custom numbering or listings.

I've shown some differences above that point out some other advantages/disadvantages.

I would also say that EPG123 has a much better channel logo selection and manipulation as well as better artwork selection for both series and movies. So a plus for EPG123 XMLTV but can easily be addressed in emby coding.

• Like 1

Sammy

Here is a quick compare between XMLTV (provided by EPG123), ServerWMC (guide by EPG123), and native emby Live TV with Schedules Direct.

5af62c99e98f7_comparison.png

XMLTV does not show 'LIVE'.

The 'premiere' can be fixed/added into future builds, but the only way an XMLTV will be able to provide a Live indicator is if there is an agreed upon method... XMLTV does not have any defined method to indicate a live event.

For actual program details, here's another comparison...

5af62f75e42bc_comparison2.png

XMLTV and emby Live TV can have random TV ratings.

ServerWMC has a 1 star rating for everything.

The above issues can be handled in future emby builds and a possible change to serverWMC for the star rating.

What I was hinting at that was missing from the emby guide is details such as Dolby Digital sound, Closed Captioning, Language, Original Air Date, Actors/Characters, ... All that information is available for the 3 methods, just not displayed.

5af631aca1ffb_comparison3.png

I guess I should also note, the next release of EPG123 will provide the ability to choose between 4x3 and 2x3 artwork for the series images. The 2x3 looks pretty good in emby, and actually does a good job in WMC as well with the Tweak WMC feature of EPG123.

I'm wondering if you and @@Luke and @@ebr might want to work together to improve Emby's guide?

Thanks!

hi @@Sammy, this is a discussion thread about epg123. This is not the place to file feature requests. If you'd like to open a feature request, please do so by opening a topic in the Feature Requests section of the community. Thanks !

• Like 1

@garyan

Yes this is supported. We do check for this.

garyan2

@garyan

Yes this is supported. We do check for this.

Interesting. The capture above shows Undercover Boss: Celebrity Edition with the NEW indicator and not the PREMIERE indicator using the emby Schedules Direct TV Guide Data Provider for Live TV. Is there some logic that would prevent PREMIERE from being displayed?

we're just checking the premiere property on the program detail object coming from schedules direct

Sammy

hi @@Sammy, this is a discussion thread about epg123. This is not the place to file feature requests. If you'd like to open a feature request, please do so by opening a topic in the Feature Requests section of the community. Thanks !

I will do it tomorrow for sure.

garyan2

we're just checking the premiere property on the program detail object coming from schedules direct

Ah, I see the problem then. The premiere flag in the JSON is for Miniseries and Movie program types only. There is another field in the JSON schedule return called isPremiereOrFinale with possible values of "Season Premiere", "Season Finale", "Series Premiere", "Series Finale", "Premiere", and "Finale".

Premiere => Miniseries and Movies only

isPremiereOrFinale => TV Series

EDIT: adding link to SD's API definitions. https://github.com/SchedulesDirect/JSON-Service/wiki/API-20141201

Edited by garyan2
  • Like 1