EPG123 - Now provides XMLTV data

kanipek

kanipek

It's in beta testing at the moment.

If you are frustrated with somewhat complicated setup of the various XLMTV programs out there or perhaps you would like a GUI? I highly recommend

EPG123: http://epg123.garyan2.net/

The beta is discussed here:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=99&t=11525

The primary focus for EPG123 has been getting reliable, accurate data into WMC and it does this very well and very easy. He has also built some channel management stuff for WMC in this beta for those that are still using it.

Take a look and see what you think, if you like it buy the guy a beer, coffee or chocolate.

i'm attempting to switch over to this from serverwmc, so far i think i've got it working and test mapped a few channels. my only issue right now is the guide/channels from serverwmc are still there, i quit the serverwmc program so it no longer shows those tuners and if i try and watch a channel associated to them it doesn't work, which is expected. when i refresh the guide though those channels don't go away. i tried to uninstall the serverwmc service from emby but when i click on the 3 dots button no menu pops up. anyone have any ideas?

edit - i was able to get the servermwc plugin removed by deleting it from the plugins folder and that removed the extra guide listings. now i'm working on adjusting all the channel images and mappings. next issue to figure out is i have some channels listed that i don't actually get and can't tune to, i need to figure out how to remove those from the guide.

Edited by bmoses

garyan2

i'm attempting to switch over to this from serverwmc, so far i think i've got it working and test mapped a few channels. my only issue right now is the guide/channels from serverwmc are still there, i quit the serverwmc program so it no longer shows those tuners and if i try and watch a channel associated to them it doesn't work, which is expected. when i refresh the guide though those channels don't go away. i tried to uninstall the serverwmc service from emby but when i click on the 3 dots button no menu pops up. anyone have any ideas?

edit - i was able to get the servermwc plugin removed by deleting it from the plugins folder and that removed the extra guide listings. now i'm working on adjusting all the channel images and mappings. next issue to figure out is i have some channels listed that i don't actually get and can't tune to, i need to figure out how to remove those from the guide.

I put a newer beta version on last night that includes the channel numbers for automapping in emby and file paths to the epg123 channel logos. Take a look at the thread on TGB for links to the files.
  • Like 2

I guess I should note post #21 in the TGB thread has the links to the new betas.

thanks! got the new version downloaded and think i've got everything working so far. I still have a few channels that are listed in the guide that i don't actually get. examples are 5.4, 11.4, and 17.4. What i'm guessing is happening is i had to add an OTA lineup in order to get guide info from some of the channels like 13.3, 8.2, etc because the mediacom QAM lineup did not include those channels. The ones i don't get were part of the OTA lineup but i can't figure out how to delete/remove them so they don't show up in the guide.

Sammy

So what you're saying here is that epg123 can pull guide data from Schedules Direct for use directly in Emby without WMC and ServerWMC?

This may be the solution to some of my minor issues I'm having that I need the time to write up a post or two but will I be able to custom map channel numbers or will I be stuck with Spectrum's numbering?

Thanks.

Sammy

BTW, I may be migrating to move beyond WMC and CableTV for that matter and use OTA with HDHR Connects along with a few streaming apps such as YoutubeTV, SlingTV, etc to fill in the gaps. This would eliminate a whole level of hardware HTPC with extenders and software (WMC) from my system.

The LiveTV and DVR on ShieldTV is as good as any, almost as good as WMC. Hopefully this overlay/skin will come to the other Emby Client platforms in the near future.

kanipek

So what you're saying here is that epg123 can pull guide data from Schedules Direct for use directly in Emby without WMC and ServerWMC?

This may be the solution to some of my minor issues I'm having that I need the time to write up a post or two but will I be able to custom map channel numbers or will I be stuck with Spectrum's numbering?

Thanks.

Yes. You need to add an XMLTV source/provider in Emby and point it to the epg123.xml file.

As far as channel numbers EPG123 does not allow or give you the ability to change them.

If you have issues with auto mapping the channels - like I do it is possible to fix this with a little editing, so the auto mapping takes place. It is a little complicated so I won't go into here. PM me if you need that.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sammy

Yes. You need to add an XMLTV source/provider in Emby and point it to the epg123.xml file.

As far as channel numbers EPG123 does not allow or give you the ability to change them.

If you have issues with auto mapping the channels - like I do it is possible to fix this with a little editing, so the auto mapping takes place. It is a little complicated so I won't go into here. PM me if you need that.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Mainly I just want to get rid of a bunch of crap channels and SD channels. Plus, I've re-mapped a bunch of channels with GuideTool already but now they show up twice, numbered per Spectrum / Schedules Direct and re-numbered by me. This is annoying and creates excessive guide load times and scrolling effort in Emby. In WMC it doesn't matter as much because the guide in WMC loads and navigates very quickly.

@garyan2 @krustyreturns

Edited by Sammy

kanipek

Mainly I just want to get rid of a bunch of crap channels and SD channels. Plus, I've re-mapped a bunch of channels with GuideTool already but now they show up twice, numbered per Spectrum / Schedules Direct and re-numbered by me. This is annoying and creates excessive guide load times and scrolling effort in Emby. In WMC it doesn't matter as much because the guide in WMC loads and navigates very quickly.

@garyan2 @krustyreturns

Until channel management comes to Emby you could always use the tag method, kind of a pain but it does work for removing those channels from the guide that you don't want to see. I don't think it will change the time for guide data updating though.

• Like 1

Sammy

Until channel management comes to Emby you could always use the tag method, kind of a pain but it does work for removing those channels from the guide that you don't want to see. I don't think it will change the time for guide data updating though.

I'm not sure how to do this tagging. IDK if you are in TheGreenButton Forums but I've got another thread going over there for about a week now on this subject.

Edited by Sammy

kanipek

I'm not sure how to do this tagging. IDK if you are in TheGreenButton Forums but I've got another thread going over there for about a week now on this subject.

You need to add a tag for each channel you don't want to see in the guide.

So - Edit info -> +Tag (exclude, or channel_exclude)

Then in the dashboard -> Users -> "username" -> Parental Control Tab -> Block Item with Tags -> Add

Do that for each user and that is it. Editing each of those channels is the biggest difficulty, not a great solution but it does work.

Some day channel management will arrive.

Also you may want to check the order you have set for the guide page use the 3 Dot menu,

Edited by kanipek
  • Like 1

Sammy

You need to add a tag for each channel you don't want to see in the guide.

So - Edit info -> +Tag (exclude, or channel_exclude)

Then in the dashboard -> Users -> "username" -> Parental Control Tab -> Block Item with Tags -> Add

Do that for each user and that is it. Editing each of those channels is the biggest difficulty, not a great solution but it does work.

Some day channel management will arrive.

Also you may want to check the order you have set for the guide page use the 3 Dot menu,

So back up a bit.. Where's "Edit Info" to start?

Thanks.

EDIT

Under Metadata Manager?

I have some 400 channels to edit one by one!

It's clicking boxes on a list in GuideTool and epg123. Hoping for an answer to that in my thread on TheGreenButton. I just want confirmation of expected result before I do something horrible to my epg.

Edited by Sammy

kanipek

So back up a bit.. Where's "Edit Info" to start?

Thanks.

EDIT

Under Metadata Manager?

I have some 400 channels to edit one by one!

It's clicking boxes on a list in GuideTool and epg123. Hoping for an answer to that in my thread on TheGreenButton. I just want confirmation of expected result before I do something horrible to my epg.

If you go here:

http://localhost:8096/web/livetv.html?tab=2

Choose the channels tab at the top. Use the 3 dot menu on each channel to pop up a menu. Edit Info will be one of your choices.

400 channels, yeah you'll be busy ;-)

Doing this won't do anything horrible to your guide. It just effects what get's displayed. The channels will still "be" there just hidden.

Edited by kanipek
  • Like 1

Sammy

If you go here:

http://localhost:8096/web/livetv.html?tab=2

Choose the channels tab at the top. Use the 3 dot menu on each channel to pop up a menu. Edit Info will be one of your choices.

400 channels, yeah you'll be busy ;-)

Doing this won't do anything horrible to your guide. It just effects what get's displayed. The channels will still "be" there just hidden.

THANKS! Now I get it.

I'm looking to delete these in the WMC guide too and am concerned about loosing custom channel mapping if I do so I posted over in the epg forum on TheGreenButton too. I can see that doing this in Emby only hides things and does no irreparable harm but I'd like to have the data passed from WMC to Emby cleaner to begin with.

kanipek

THANKS! Now I get it.

I'm looking to delete these in the WMC guide too and am concerned about loosing custom channel mapping if I do so I posted over in the epg forum on TheGreenButton too. I can see that doing this in Emby only hides things and does no irreparable harm but I'd like to have the data passed from WMC to Emby cleaner to begin with.

So I take it you are having to deal with DRM issues? Hence stuck with WMC?

• Like 1

Sammy

So I take it you are having to deal with DRM issues? Hence stuck with WMC?

For the time being, yes. As more and better streaming options become apparent, that will no longer be an issue. Spectrum is doing themselves no favors by not having an app for AndroidTV as it has me looking around. My wife is good to go with it too as long as she still gets the shows she likes. Been checking out YoutubeTV and SlingTV. So far YoutubeTV seems better. That said, Emby lets us have our own streaming service.

If only the LiveTV on all clients was as good as it is on the shield. Still, 10 years on, WMC DVR is one of the best around though. If epg123 can provide rich data that Emby can use the switch is imminent but using ServerWMC in Emby is pretty easy and straightforward so there's that too which makes having WMC as a backend an option still.

• Like 1

garyan2

The only way to get custom numbering in emby right now, as far as I know, will be to use ServerWMC and do your custom numbering in WMC. Also, any disabled channels in WMC will not be transferred to emby so you should end up with a clean guide based on WMC settings. I'm not sure how you got a situation of seeing both your custom numbering and the Spectrum numbering in the guide. Do you have each tuner in emby twice (once for ServerWMC and once for the network tuners) and Schedules Direct setup as a provider?

Now that I'm working on XMLTV for EPG123, I've noticed emby still has some gaps in their XMLTV support. I would consider them minor, but it will bring it to the same level as the other providers ... support Video attributes (HD, 16:9) and Audio attributes (DD, DD+, stereo, ...). There is also a gap in XMLTV itself in that you can't indicate LIVE events. With ServerWMC, you get the HD and Live indicators in the guide.

• Like 2

kanipek

Now that I'm working on XMLTV for EPG123, I've noticed emby still has some gaps in their XMLTV support. I would consider them minor, but it will bring it to the same level as the other providers ... support Video attributes (HD, 16:9) and Audio attributes (DD, DD+, stereo, ...). There is also a gap in XMLTV itself in that you can't indicate LIVE events. With ServerWMC, you get the HD and Live indicators in the guide.

@@Luke Can we get XMLTV support for the missing attributes? Or is that not possible?

I like to use the XML supplied by EPG123 because it gives the indicator/flag for premieres, which for me it more important right now than having HD indicator/flag. Would be great to have all available if someone wanted to use them.

Sammy

The only way to get custom numbering in emby right now, as far as I know, will be to use ServerWMC and do your custom numbering in WMC. Also, any disabled channels in WMC will not be transferred to emby so you should end up with a clean guide based on WMC settings. I'm not sure how you got a situation of seeing both your custom numbering and the Spectrum numbering in the guide. Do you have each tuner in emby twice (once for ServerWMC and once for the network tuners) and Schedules Direct setup as a provider?

For simplicity, I will continue this discussion over in TheGreenButton but if something comes up in Emby, I'll post a link to the discussion in TheGreenButton.

FYI.. @@Luke @kanipek

Edited by Sammy

Sammy

BTW, Before moving over there, this probably answers the question @@garyan2.

I did both ServerWMC and added in the tuners with Schedules Direct in Emby.

Suppose I need to change it but for now I'll use ServerWMC for congruence. How to delete the tuners and guide data in Emby and keep ServerWMC?

post-110-0-78890800-1520005390_thumb.jpg

9d3c70f1f1f3402f4d5613d2d6ff6be4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

garyan2

Yah, that's why you were seeing both the custom lineup from ServerWMC and the Spectrum lineup at the same time. Use the 3 dots on each Tuner Device and Guide Provider to delete them. You emby guide will then be strictly from ServerWMC.

• Like 1

kanipek

BTW, Before moving over there, this probably answers the question @@garyan2.

I did both ServerWMC and added in the tuners with Schedules Direct in Emby.

Suppose I need to change it but for now I'll use ServerWMC for congruence. How to delete the tuners and guide data in Emby and keep ServerWMC?

attachicon.gifServerWMC.JPG

9d3c70f1f1f3402f4d5613d2d6ff6be4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That would do it.

If you are sticking only with ServerWMC then you can delete the tuners you added for Emby DVR. Emby will probably autodetect the tuners again. If you click on your schedules direct entry in Live TV and de-select "enable for all tuners" that will prevent them getting guide data again - just uncheck those Emby DVR tuners.

• Like 1

Sammy

This all came about because I got a ShieldTV only to discover that Spectrum did not have an AndroidTV app causing me to look around for an alternative for Cable News, Sports, PPV and OnDemand, etc.

I'm moving towards using either YoutubeTV, SlingTV (other?) and then putting an antenna on my roof for LiveTV. I still like WMC but Emby DVR is getting close.. I could still use WMC as a back end though with epg123.. 

Another thing I'm dealing with currently is I have a short in one of my Ethernet lines to three bedrooms upstairs and my Ceton Echo will not stay connected to my network with a Trendnet TEW-800MB bridge. I'm sure that this WiFi issue is router side but heck my Roku's are performing on the same WiFi without issue and the one I've tried through the bridge works fine too..

Bottom line is I'm moving closer to an alternate solution, shaving the cord so to speak.

Having a better and quicker guide in Emby DVR will put me over the edge but currently it is not quick enough..

At any rate, I'm going to delete those tuners in Emby and deselct them in the Guide Provider.. Can I just delete Schedules Direct in Emby altogether to solve it too?

Thanks!!