NPVR M3U Multiple Tuners

Spaceboy
Go to solution Solved by Spaceboy,

Spaceboy

Hi, Is the above supposed to work? i'm trying the m3u setup with npvr to try and get round the problems with all the plugins. i have the m3u but both in vlc and emby starting a second stream seems to end the first.

theres not a lot of discussion of the functionality anywhere. cheers

Spaceboy

It won't work, you'd have to use the plugin.

excellent, so still nothing really works fully with the external tv services

Spaceboy

Can you describe your problem in more detail?

again? i should just use this as my sig :)

this is the third external tv service i've used after dvblink and mediaportal. dvblink seems pretty dead these days, mediaportal does its best under the constraints of emby. problems include:

• slow guide loading
  • slow channel loading
  • long pause immediately after starting live tv
  • poor artwork
  • less integration with the core tv library on emby
  • audio sync problems on android with dual audio stream HD programs. 
  • no ability to change the audio stream on dual stream programs, unfortunately emby picks the default audio channel which is the audio described for the deaf channel.
  • inability to watch in progress recordings, well you can but you will always get kicked out at the point that the live tv show finishes, leading you then to just have to wait for the recording to be full detected by emby before you can then fastforward through whatever you watched to get to the remaining bit
  • no ability to transit in in progress recordings
  • completely unreliable detection of completed live tv recordings, some can be available in second, others still take several minutes

i acknowledge that number 5 may be specific to the vagaries of UK DVBS2 streams (perhaps an edge case :) ) but the rest are universal. overall it just makes it impossible to watch live tv in emby.

the m3u setup with iptv works pretty well in emby. i've been using it with 2 iptv subs for a while but iptv streams still fail 5% of time (not due to emby i don't think) and DVBS2 has failed maybe once or twice in a several year period. so using the npvr m3u solution seemed like a good option. however if you are limited to only one stream at a time from npvr its just a non-starter. As other people have posted, due to the way in which you can share streams from the same mux i have almost infinite streams available from my DVBS2 setup.

i don't think that any of this is new information, i certainly have mentioned all of this at one point or another

• Like 1

Spaceboy

what you can always do is open a feature request with next pvr to allow concurrent streams from their m3u.

that would still leave me with 5 and 6 as issues. i guess you hope that mpv player solves all of that? i certainly don't have any of these issues using kodi as the player for any of these back ends

• less integration with the core tv library on emby

Well for 5, why do you feel this way? you can configure any recording folder you want, including one that is part of your regular library.

Spaceboy

Well for 5, why do you feel this way? you can configure any recording folder you want, including one that is part of your regular library.

sorry, 6 and 7. 5 is not an issue with an m3u

• no ability to change the audio stream on dual stream programs, unfortunately emby picks the default audio channel which is the audio described for the deaf channel.

This is in the web app and will make it's way to other apps soon.

This is something that just has to be looked at case by case.

• Solution
Spaceboy

This is in the web app and will make it's way to other apps soon.

This is something that just has to be looked at case by case.

yes, unfortunately audio track and subs have been out of the android app for approaching 6 months now, which as they were working fine before is a little confusing

also i tried the npvr plugin last night. no disrespect to the dev's of npvr or the plugin itself but i cannot see any reason why someone would go with npvr over mediaportal. even the basics such as only importing channels from the group i have chosen is not possible in the npvr plugin. you just end up with all 5000 channels that are available to me.

so, off to petition the MPExtended dev to bring m3u functionality there. its a far more functional and mature product than npvr. https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/exporting-tv-list-to-m3u.137574/

what you can always do is open a feature request with next pvr to allow concurrent streams from their m3u.

If you add "&client=xxxxxx" to the urls within the m3u, then it already supports concurrent streams. The xxxxxx should identify a specific client instance of the stream. If you don't supply this, it's assumed to be "&client=default"

Edited by sub3

the m3u setup with iptv works pretty well in emby.

Not NextPVR-specific, but just so you're aware - there is a significant difference between a m3u that points to tuners in PVR backend such NextPVR or MP, vs m3u that points to IPTV services, which mean you'll probably never get the performance comparable to what you're seeing with IPTV. Specifically, when you start playing a IPTV stream, the client can typically download 10 seconds of video within the first second or so, vs a channel backed by a tuner where the tuner has to be started, then wait a full 10 seconds before it has collected 10 seconds of video. This is important if you've got a client that insists on buffering or analyzing a chunk of video before it can start playback. 

Edited by sub3

In reality Spaceboy, this m3u approach is probably a bad idea though, regardless of whether you're using MP or NextPVR, since Emby has no idea of what resources are available on the backend, so doesn't know how many tuners are available, and what channels can be recorded simultaneously, and which can't. ie, you'd want to get an error message in the TV Guide when you try to schedule a recording if the backend knows that recording wouldn't be possible. With this m3u approach, it's not going to know that. Instead you'll just get a failure when it tries to record if no tuner is available.

Functionality you're better off using an plugin which allows the backend to check this stuff with the backend

Spaceboy

Not NextPVR-specific, but just so you're aware - there is a significant difference between a m3u that points to tuners in PVR backend such NextPVR or MP, vs m3u that points to IPTV services, which mean you'll probably never get the performance comparable to what you're seeing with IPTV. Specifically, when you start playing a IPTV stream, the client can typically download 10 seconds of video within the first second or so, vs a channel backed by a tuner where the tuner has to be started, then wait a full 10 seconds before it has collected 10 seconds of video. This is important if you've got a client that insists on buffering or analyzing a chunk of video before it can start playback. 

In reality Spaceboy, this m3u approach is probably a bad idea though, regardless of whether you're using MP or NextPVR, since Emby has no idea of what resources are available on the backend, so doesn't know how many tuners are available, and what channels can be recorded simultaneously, and which can't. ie, you'd want to get an error message in the TV Guide when you try to schedule a recording if the backend knows that recording wouldn't be possible. With this m3u approach, it's not going to know that. Instead you'll just get a failure when it tries to record if no tuner is available.

Functionality you're better off using an plugin which allows the backend to check this stuff with the backend

hi sub, thanks for responding. i completely agree with you, an m3u from a backend is not my preferred approach for all the reasons you list. however, since i stopped using WMC my tv cards have been about as useful as the proverbial chocolate teapot because i am simply unable to get anything to work reliably in emby for the reasons i listed.

at this stage i literally just want something that works reliably, even if that only means 4 streams from the 4 separate satellite feeds i receive. i don't use the backend for any recordings itself so i'm not concerned that emby doesnt know whats going on there. in theory i would be happy to use the npvr m3u and just tell emby it only has 4 streams, but as noted npvr cuts off the first stream when i start a second.

i am open to suggestions but if you are interested in reading my history i've been banging on about the same problems for what feels like 5+ years now! i think i've tried everything!

hi sub, thanks for responding. i completely agree with you, an m3u from a backend is not my preferred approach for all the reasons you list. however, since i stopped using WMC my tv cards have been about as useful as the proverbial chocolate teapot because i am simply unable to get anything to work reliably in emby for the reasons i listed.

at this stage i literally just want something that works reliably, even if that only means 4 streams from the 4 separate satellite feeds i receive. i don't use the backend for any recordings itself so i'm not concerned that emby doesnt know whats going on there. in theory i would be happy to use the npvr m3u and just tell emby it only has 4 streams, but as noted npvr cuts off the first stream when i start a second.

i am open to suggestions but if you are interested in reading my history i've been banging on about the same problems for what feels like 5+ years now! i think i've tried everything!

Unfortunately it sounds like most of your frustrations are really the Emby side of things, which I can't really help you with. I'm the author of NextPVR, and don't use Emby myself. I just pop by every so often to see if anyone is bad mouthing my work :D

Regarding the 4 simultaneous m3u streams from NextPVR. If Emby are able to arrange for "&client=Emby1", "&client=Emby2", "&client=Emby3" or "&client=Emby4" to be appended to the channel urls, then it'll do four simultaneous streams. 

Edited by sub3
  • Like 3

I've made a change to the next build of NextPVR, so you can add the "&client=xxxxx" getting m3u url, and it'll be automatically appended to all the channel urls within the m3u. It'll help with VLC etc. Not sure if that'll help you with Emby or not. I suspect the Emby still have to manipulate the urls themselves, since they're they only ones that can know if a previous usage of a specific session is no longer required etc.

• Like 1

@@sub3 - I love your work.  NextPVR has been bullet proof.  In all the years, we have never missed a single recording - ever!

Every NextPVR upgrade has been seemless -and just worked.

It is imho faultless software for what it does for us (just the recordings, we use other methods (ie emby etc) for the delivery).

Never had to fix it for anything at all.

I have a few times tried to move to native Emby TV, but always come back to nextPVR with my tail between my legs!