Is it because of an unmanaged switch?

chef

I own an sixteen port netgear unmanaged switch.

Five ports are taken up by my emby servers NIC - 1gig/s.

One port is my tv receiver - is not a gigabit

One is home automation - is not a gigabit

One is an android projector - is not a gigabit

Xbox one - 1gig/s

And there are two other PCs connected - 1gig/s

the switch connects to my Bell Hone Hub 3000 fibre modem.

The problem I am having is that any perpetual device gets intermittent service to the Internet, be it laptops or tablets. I also find that any Remote Desktop viewing is taking far longer to handshake and get going.

When I created my network wall, I tried not to cross any power with cat5e lines.

I should also mention that any wireless audio and control being feed to my xbox one controller is also being interrupted somehow.

I keep dying in GTA, is it is really getting to me lol.

Is it possible that these issues are connected somehow?

Could it be that there are packet losses because of all the devices flooding the network?

Thanks for your time guys/anyone.

Edited by chef

1. check your connection speed between your Bell home hub router and your switch. If it is running at 10/100Mbps your network is getting choked there.

2. Check your owner documentation on the switch to see if it has a designated uplink port. If so make sure that that port is connected to the Bell home hub. If you need to move the Network cable, power off the switch, move the cable and then power the switch back on. This will clear the arp table.

What model netgear switch is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k
  • Like 1

Swynol

does an unmanaged switch support link aggregation? 

i'm guessing thats what your trying to achieve with 5 ports for the emby server? maybe try it with just one port connected to see if you have all the issues. it could be packet collisions happening because of the LACP.

otherwise if its an older switch it might only support STP, most modern devices support RSTP which is much faster in creating connections. Are there any other switches in the mix? 

• Like 1

does an unmanaged switch support link aggregation?

i'm guessing thats what your trying to achieve with 5 ports for the emby server? maybe try it with just one port connected to see if you have all the issues. it could be packet collisions happening because of the LACP.

otherwise if its an older switch it might only support STP, most modern devices support RSTP which is much faster in creating connections. Are there any other switches in the mix?

Good point. I wasn’t sure if @@chef meant 5 switch ports were used for the Emby server or if he meant that a total of 5 ports were use and one of them was for the Emby server. So, to my knowledge link aggregation/NIC teaming has to be supported on both the switch and server that you want to do that on. Unmanaged switches would not support link aggregation to the best of my knowledge.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

Unmanaged switches would not support link aggregation to the best of my knowledge.

Also this.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

I've use multipath from windows with a basic switch. It works just fine. You don't need LACP, Windows takes care of it. I'm actually using multipath on my server with a 10G dual port SFP+ NIC. Not that I get anywhere near using that kind of bandwidth lol

• Like 2

The netgear is a GS316

And I made a mistake because I meant a 16 port switch.

The emby server has a NIC with four ports and the mobo NIC plugged into the switch.

The only other switch is the modems built in one with four ports.

Perhaps a managed switch with aggregation is what I need.

I think I had better test the the network traffic at the home hub (like what was mentioned above), because I think there is definitely a bottleneck somewhere.

Maybe also the 4 channel NIC on the emby server was just a bad idea.

I also could be doing everything completely wrong as well.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

remember port aggregation is not going to speed anything up to a client device - it gives you the ability to have multiple devices all - 4/5 in your case - pulling at 1g each

if you still want to do LACP etc - the 4 port card has got to support it via drivers - and depending on os version as well as the new switch

your symptoms suggest that one or more of your connection might not have negotiated correctly

the GS316 has an internal bandwidth of 32Gbps (basically duplex times No. of ports) so i doubt that you are even close to saturating it.

When was the last time you power cycled the switch? - simple test to try - also cycle your router while you are at it.

Your router - does it have a preferred network port for local lan connections - some routers have bad internal switches and some of the cheap ones only work at full speed on one port.......

Are you using POE as the switch supports it? 

• Like 2

Reset the port mapping by unplugging the power to the switch.

Changed modem to port one.

Unplugged emby server quad NIC and tried with just onboard NIC.

Seems connections like Remote Desktop are much better.

I'm going to continue watching my network and perhaps tryin the server quad NIC again.

Great advice here! Thank you all for taking the time.

• Like 2

Odd, from this diagram it would make me think you are using the router primarily just as a wifi AP ( normally a port set aside from the other ports on a router is the WAN connection ) 

Probably not what you meant doofus.

I would expect the connections to be from modem to router wan port. From router port ( anything except wan ) to switch port ( again any will do ) then from switch to other devices.

Guest asrequested

In that diagram they just call it internet. They aren't showing the router. For the optional AP they just used a picture of something that had an antenna.

In that diagram they just call it internet. They aren't showing the router. For the optional AP they just used a picture of something that had an antenna.

Ahh ok.

I am just being nitpickety I was looking at the back of it and it looks so much like most home routers with the blue port set away from the other 4 ports. Sorry :)

Reset the port mapping by unplugging the power to the switch.

Changed modem to port one.

Unplugged emby server quad NIC and tried with just onboard NIC.

Seems connections like Remote Desktop are much better.

I'm going to continue watching my network and perhaps tryin the server quad NIC again.

Great advice here! Thank you all for taking the time.

It might also be worth trying out just 1 port of the quad nic.

I found this article: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/761829-link-aggregation-windows-10-pro-with-mixed-nics/ and this one: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/windows-10-dual-gigabit.34653/ 

I am not sure what the current state of link bonding is in windows 10 but i would imagine its a bit dodgy. That being said, a full duplex gig network should go a pretty long ways for anything inside your network. 

I myself just upgraded from using 2 switches in my closet to using 1 16 port unmanaged gig switch and connections to my emby server are a little more responsive.

Guest asrequested

Something else that may make a difference is not mixing the onboard with your quad. Maybe there's an issue with that? Maybe try running two lines out of the quad, first?

• Like 1

There are a few reasons to use multi Interface NICS.

NIC teaming could be used for failover or increasing total supported throughout.

Another alternative would be setting up a private VLAN for distinct or incompatible services:

1. IP cameras,

2. backup routines and systems.

3. connectivity to network equipment that does not need constant access to the Internet like TV tuner (HDHomerun).

The separate interfaces along side good firewall and network equipment ACLs could be used to segregate traffic, create secure local LAN networks. The main goal being defense in depth or securing vulnerable devices and systems with network design.

That is pretty well what my plan is when I build my VMHost. I currently have 3 VLANs to divide my network.

1. Network equipment (firewall, switch, unifi AP, and unifi controller).

2. Internal network (servers, computers, NAS, laptops)

3. Guest (Internet access only)

4. IOT local only.

I am planning on putting my data storage and VMHOST systems on a separate unique VLAN as well.

I approach the topic from the goal of protecting the most important systems from the rest of my internal network. Then I protect the internal network from devices that only need access to the Internet, as well as IOT devices that only need access to a specific resource (ex: ip cameras need access to the NVR for video monitoring but do not need access to the Internet).

Edited by Tur0k
  • Like 1

out of curiosity, unless youre a datacenter, whats with the quad?

I had originally read that these NIC cards would take strain off the CPU for delegating network traffic.

I also read that they helped to achieve full 1 gig transfer rates between pc's.

I have only ever seen 50mb/s max when moving files around the network. Which is strange, I think.