How do you install Emby on Nas4free?

hjason7812

hjason7812

Hello, i am bulding a nas4free server and want to use it as an emby server.. But i can't find anything on how to install emby on nas4free..

hjason7812

So you don't have an actual plugin made for it? Just like with a lot of other products.. Ok i hope they're detailed instructions with links if needed? Because i only know how to install plugins that are already there to install on nas4free..

Thanks

By the way the ps4 sound still isn't fixed......

hjason7812

That's one thing you should have, because not everyone knows how to install them unless there is detailed instruction on how to.

Yes there are a lot of platform choices and we are working as hard as we can to provide official installation packages for as many as possible, thanks.

hjason7812

i have been diggin on this forum and found that in 2014 you have been dabbling in nas4free but haven't made any other attempt to go official on there since.. So please bring back the plugin build for nas4free and go official on the plugin section.

You are way behind in this department your competitors are beating you big time here..

• Like 1

i have been diggin on this forum and found that in 2014 you have been dabbling in nas4free but haven't made any other attempt to go official on there since.. So please bring back the plugin build for nas4free and go official on the plugin section.

You are way behind in this department your competitors are beating you big time here..

I'm a FreeNAS user not nas4free, but if the install is as easy as following the FreeBSD install instructions there's probably not even a need for a plugin. It's as simple as creating a jail, and from within the jail's shell just follow the instructions found here

https://emby.media/freebsd-server.html

You can even copy/paste the steps into the shell. No coding knowledge needed

• Like 1

hjason7812

both freenas and nas4free are freebsd that is why i don't understand why they don't have a plugin for nas4free like freenas.

but thanks for the info ironrobi

• 2 weeks later...

Nas4Free does not have the "plugin" support built into the web interface as FreeNas does. Check out the Nas4Free forums and look into creating a jail. After you have a hand on that, which is making sure the setup is correct and all, it's pretty simple to go through the instructions listed on emby.media. Look for OnebuttonInstaller on the Nas4Free forum and then check out TheBrig and from there you have a pretty flexible jail system. Not really "OneClick" and it's done, but it's pretty doable. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Baenwort

both freenas and nas4free are freebsd that is why i don't understand why they don't have a plugin for nas4free like freenas.

but thanks for the info ironrobi

Mostly it is because Josh works as a volunteer and creates the Emby plugin for FreeNAS.

To get a nas4free version you'll have to either do it or find someone who will do it.

The official Emby group doesn't create the FreeNAS plug in but do help Josh with troubleshooting errors. I think they would do the same with someone who stepped up to be the maintainer for nas4free.

zmediaserver

UPDATED: 10-1-18, nas4free is now called XigmaNAS.

I have Emby running on XigmaNAS. I'm writing this from memory, but here's a quick rundown of the steps I took to get it working (some basic knowledge of FreeBSD CLI, SSH, and Jails are helpful; otherwise, you'll want to spend some time reading and understanding these concepts before diving in).

DISCLAIMER: I am a novice user of both Emby and FreeBSD and have figured this out by trial and breaking shit error, so proceed with caution!

1. Install OneButtonInstaller (OBI)

2. Install TheBrig from OBI

3. TheBrig is a jail management plugin, use it to create a jail, then start the jail

4. In the XigmaNAS WebGUI, Extensions-->TheBrig-->Updates-->FreeBSD Update, update your jail to the latest FreeBSD release

5. In the XigmaNAS WebGUI, Extensions-->TheBrig-->Updates-->Central Ports, click "fetch & update" to retrieve the ports tree. This will download and extract the ports tree "centrally" which you may then enable access to on a jail by jail basis.

6. Once Fetch & Update has finished, check the box next to your jail, then click save. This will give your jail access to the ports tree. No need to fetch/update ports from within the jail's CLI - use this Central Ports feature in TheBrig to keep your ports up-to-date instead.

7. Login to XigmaNAS via SSH, then run a shell in your jail ("jls" to see jail#, then "jexec [jail#] /bin/tcsh").

nas: ~# jls
   JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path
     1  192.168.1.50      Emby-Server.local             /mnt/zpool1/Addons/thebrig/Emby-Server
nas: ~# jexec 1 /bin/tcsh
root@Emby-Server:/ #

8. Install sudo in your jail. While logged into your jail:

pkg install sudo

If this is the first time you're using pkg in this jail, it will ask you to install pkg first, type y to allow and continue, then y to install sudo and dependencies when prompted.

9. Follow the instructions to install Emby for FreeBSD.

10. After Emby finishes installing and while still logged into your jail, create a folder inside your jail to be used as a mount point to connect to your video share.

root@Emby-Server:/ # mkdir /mnt/Videos 

Remember, this command is run while still inside your jail, so you'll actually be creating this: /mnt/path/to/thebrig/jailname/mnt/Videos <-- You'll need to know this full path to your jail's folder in thebrig for step 10.

11. In the nas4free WebGUI, Extensions-->TheBrig, edit fstab to connect your video share to the mount point created in Step 9.

number	device	                      Mount point	                                   Filesystem   Option   dumpfreq   fsck	
1	/mnt/zpool1/Storage/Videos    /mnt/zpool1/Addons/thebrig/Emby-Server/mnt/Videos    nullfs       rw       0          0 

"Device" is the full path of the folder where you store your video files.

"Mount Point" is the full path to the Videos folder you created in your jail in Step 9.

Filesystem = nullfs, Option = ro, (or "rw" if Emby needs write access your video shares) dumpfreq = 0, fsck = 0.

12. In the nas4free WebGUI, Extensions-->TheBrig, you may check the box to allow all jails to start automatically, then edit your jail and select the option to start on boot.

If you followed the installation instructions for Emby to the end, Emby-Server should be running in your jail now and should start automatically when the jail is started. 

To Update

First, see this thread regarding keeping Emby up to date. Weather you follow the steps to change the branch to latest or leave it at quarterly, to update Emby: 

1. In the nas4free WebGUI navigate to Extensions-->TheBrig-->Updates-->FreeBSD Update and make sure you're running the latest version of FreeBSD for your jail.

2. In the nas4free WebGUI, navigate to Extensions-->TheBrig-->Central Ports and run a "Fetch & Update".

3. Login to your jail via SSH, then start a shell in your jail (see Step 7 above). Type "service emby-server stop" to stop Emby Server, then run "pkg update" and "pkg upgrade" to update Emby and all other installed packages in this jail.

4. Type "service emby-server start" to restart Emby once upgrades are completed. 

Edited by zmediaserver
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

The FreeBSD instructions work straight up on a standard Full install of NAS4Free if you don't compile your own FFMPEG.

If you want to compile it, you need to use a jail as the development environment is not installed as part of the NAS4Free install. 

That is, NAS4Free & FreeNAS use a stripped / optimized install that supports the environment to run the NAS-centric services.  If you want the compilers et al, you need a Full FreeBSD install. A Full NAS4FRee install is not the same thing.

When you create a full jail you will be able to follow the instructions but will be prompted to install various things along the way.  Everything needed to do it will be setup along the way of whats listed already. You won't miss anything.

• 4 months later...

Hello all. I'm starting to get the gist of it I did manage to get to complete step 7. however when i get to step 8 and copy and paste the 2 sudo line into the terminal in putty i get the following errors when i past the 1st one I get  "command not found" and when I key in the 2nd line i get no such file. Has the files moved? am i missing something? thank you all for your efforts in helping this old fart

Hello Luke to late now when i build my new box I will try freenas. Why do you consider it better out of curiosity because everything i read before embarking on this adventure  i read many posts saying that freenas was more suited to well versed individuals who understood some degree of coding in a linux environment.I do not have such skills therefore I opted for nas4free because of their GUI. still this was a learning curve for me because many tweaks are not fully explained. They all required command line knowledge. (the last command line development for me was PC dos) which i still use for in many cases.Thank you just the same

It's not that I consider it better, it's that we go wherever the users go. There are more users on FreeNAS than Nas4Free, and that's why it gets prioritized ahead.

zmediaserver

@@wbravin - Emby Server runs on FreeBSD, but running Emby in a jail on XigmaNAS platform will require some additional know-how to setup and maintain. Since very few people do it, there's limited/no support for it, which means you're on your own to get it working this way.

FreeNAS is an officially supported platform for Emby server and has a much larger community to help support you. Plus FreeNAS does just about everything XigmaNAS does, but with a more user friendly interface. I would suggest you consider making the switch if you need better support running Emby on your NAS box.

When I got Emby server installed on XigmaNAS, the server installation instructions were different, so my guide above is no longer completely accurate.

To answer your question though, I suspect you're stuck on installing Emby because sudo is not installed in your jail. Install sudo first, then follow the instructions to install Emby server. That's just a guess, let me know if it worked.

zmediaserver

By the way @@wbravin, I think your understanding of XigmaNAS vs FreeNAS is backwards. FreeNAS is much easier to use due to its improved interface and plugin system. XigmaNAS requires more know-how and tweaking. For example, FreeNAS has its plugin system built right into the OS/GUI, whereas XigmaNAS requires you to install OBI first, which is written by a 3rd party. XigmaNAS instructions are often outdated and the community is much smaller than FreeNAS.

Thank you Guys your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am getting fed up with n4f and this may be a great opportunity ti switch. is emby only geared to videos if so this would meand going back and forth for music in kodi