Video colors are wrong

Guest asrequested

pünktchen

If we embedded both, or had exo as the fallback, i wouldn't do it as an option. An option means we have to support and troubleshoot both. I would rather just keep a hard-coded list of problem devices in the app and make the decision based on that.

Sorry Luke, but that's just utter rubbish! There are to many variations of different device manufactors, SOC's and Android versions out there to make a sensible decision. One user will report a problem and after "blacklisting" his device, another user with the same device will become unhappy and report errors. See the OP's problem! Instead of reducing support cases, you will raise them.

I would even go one step futher. Not only i would provide an option to choose the playback engine, but also an option for hardware or software decoding. This what every other media player out there does. They help the users to help themselves!

speedingcheetah

Sorry Luke, but that's just utter rubbish! There are to many variations of different device manufactors, SOC's and Android versions out there to make a sensible decision. One user will report a problem and after "blacklisting" his device, another user with the same device will become unhappy and report errors. See the OP's problem! Instead of reducing support cases, you will raise them.

I would even go one step futher. Not only i would provide an option to choose the playback engine, but also an option for hardware or software decoding. This what every other media player out there does. They help the users to help themselves!

Very very strange. I was about to say that we might have to embed a secondary player to accommodate certain problem devices. We are not doing a whole lot with mpv so I'm not sure what we could configure to effect it, especially since hardware acceleration didn't make a difference. We are setting video-sync to audio so that's about the only thing.

Not to mention Network. The new MPV based app is near useless  on Sprint LTE for me. Only  if I force 720p 1mbps transcode will it work, even then, most times i have to set 480p.   The VLC based one does full 1080 and direct play with no issues.  Something in how Sprint is detecting the data, thinking they are seeing it as "Music" because the line in my plan states "Music at up to 1.5mbps" which is what seems to be the max bitrate i can push the new app to  and it tries to play video, but buffers like crazy..

Edited by speedingcheetah

• 4 weeks later...
dmegatool

Same here. Xiaomi Redmi 3S running Miui 9 which is based on android 6.0.1. 

I can use the external player and it looks great (Mi video, Google Photos, Plex *cough cough*). 

Tried hardware encoding on/off(quick sync & nvenc), forcing transcoding, etc, etc... it's all the same. 

dmegatool

please try version 2.9.92+ once you have it, thanks.

Is there a repo for apps version? Or I just got to wait until the Play Store push the update to me?

Tallow

Thanks for updating this thread!

I downloaded and installed the 2.9.92 update.

The problem persist. Banding and limited colors appears on starting a video.

• Like 1

speedingcheetah

Pretty sure this is a different thing.....but....Ever since the move to MPV as the player, I have noticed on start of playback, especially for resume, their is pixelization and distorted colors, but only for about 1 to 2 secs max then it plays perfect. its like it plays a tad to fast as it being buffered/rendered. Does it on every mobile device i have tried. 

My mistake, sorry. It will be in the next update. If you want to jump on the open beta I'll have it up in the next day or two. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
SteveGoossens

Not affected: Nexus 6P 128GB (8.1.0, build OPP6.177019.012)

Emby 2.9.92

bfXiaRf.png

Affected: Blackberry Priv STV100-1 (6.0.1, build AAQ280)

Emby 2.9.92

ZQFLOwW.jpg

The banding issue on the Priv started somewhere around 28th March... I tried clearing the app cache, app data, uninstalling, installing, a selection of manual bitrates, e.g. 360p, 720p 4M, 1080p 5M, 1080p 10M, but they all end up with this seemingly 16-bit colour palette.

No problems on the 6P

Edited by SteveGoossens

SteveGoossens

Thanks, strange to hear about this on a nexus.

Sorry for any confusion, but the Nexus 6P is unaffected and I only posted the info/screenshot for a baseline/example of the normal/good scenario to serve as a comparison for the affected Priv.

Looking through the thread, it looks like some devices on Android 6.0.1 are affected?