Emby Server & Theater - Additional Extras/Special Folder Types for TV Series (similar to Movies)

funwithmedia

Deathsquirrel

TV shows already support special features.  They are labeled as season 0 episodes.  For example I have 'Highschool of the Dead S00E102 Clean Closing Animations.mkv' which contains a copy of the closing animations for that series without any text overlays.  That's a fairly common anime season extra.

--Edit.  NM, I see the request is for the additional folder type support, not extras support.  Good luck then.

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 1

funwithmedia

Correct (regarding the request being for additional folder type support), but thanks for offering your thoughts/suggestions. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seconding this request, because the current structure doesn't really work when there are "official" specials but also other extras. Take for example, "The Thick of it". There were some special episodes that were broadcast and the TVDB entry (for example) has a "specials" season showing them. When these episodes are saved in a "specials" folder they correctly show up.

https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=seasonall&id=79843&lid=7

But the DVDs also come with "extras" - deleted scenes and such like - I can't find an online listing but they're on the DVD and mentioned here, for example:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Thick-It-Seasons-1-4/18319

There is no easy way to add these "extras" to Emby - I guess the only way to do so is to put them in the "specials" folder as well and make up episode numbers - but this means that if ever more "official specials" are broadcast, I need to re-adjust the numbering of the "extras" to not overlap.

I hope that makes sense - in my opinion we need a way to be able to add "extras" to tv series, at the season or episode level, not just have a "specials" season. Ideally I'd want the "S01E01 deleted scenes" extra to be associated with the "S01E01" episode, in the same way that movie deleted scenes are associated with a movie.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
funwithmedia

I want to clarify that it would be great if these various "extras" folder types could reside within each Season folder. So for example, within a Season 1 folder we could then have an "Extras" folder, a "Deleted Scenes" folder, a "Featurettes" folder, etc.

I don't see this as replacing the current Season 0 functionality, but rather being really useful for the various TV extras for which there is no TVDB entry. When an extra has a TVDB entry then naming it appropriately (so that it gets identified correctly) and sticking it in the Season 0 folder is definitely the way to go. But it would be super-useful if we could have various extras folders residing within each Season folder, and then that various extras content be automatically displayed at the end of that season's content (probably after any Season 0 content that applies to that season). This would be sooooo much faster than having to edit the metadata for each item when you're dealing with things like deleted scenes that are specific to a particular season.

Actually, while I'm wishing for things ;) it would be further nifty if we could even define these various extras folders (which reside within a given Season folder) to refer to a specific episode. So the idea would be that "\TV_SHOW_NAME (2005)\Season 1\Deleted Scenes\" would be Deleted Scenes for all of Season 1 (and so display at the end of Season 1's episodes), and then something like "\TV_SHOW_NAME (2005)\Season 1\E1 - Deleted Scenes\" would be Deleted Scenes specifically for Episode 1 of Season 1 (and thus could be displayed after Episode 1 automatically).

The goal with all of this is be able to more easily add various TV extras which don't have metadata (because of not residing in the TVDB) and have them better organized in how they're displayed without having to manually edit a ton of metadata. If I have 6 Deleted Scenes for an episode it is way faster to be able to just name a single folder properly and put the files there than to have to edit the metadata for each file in order for it to show up in a useful place within the episode order.

Thanks for your consideration!

:)

Edited by funwithmedia
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
funwithmedia

Just giving this a bump for visibility. :) I've got a bunch of TV shows I'm in the process of converting so am reminded of how much this feature would speed things up.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
schmitty

Seconding this request, because the current structure doesn't really work when there are "official" specials but also other extras. Take for example, "The Thick of it". There were some special episodes that were broadcast and the TVDB entry (for example) has a "specials" season showing them. When these episodes are saved in a "specials" folder they correctly show up.

https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=seasonall&id=79843&lid=7

But the DVDs also come with "extras" - deleted scenes and such like - I can't find an online listing but they're on the DVD and mentioned here, for example:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Thick-It-Seasons-1-4/18319

There is no easy way to add these "extras" to Emby - I guess the only way to do so is to put them in the "specials" folder as well and make up episode numbers - but this means that if ever more "official specials" are broadcast, I need to re-adjust the numbering of the "extras" to not overlap.

I hope that makes sense - in my opinion we need a way to be able to add "extras" to tv series, at the season or episode level, not just have a "specials" season. Ideally I'd want the "S01E01 deleted scenes" extra to be associated with the "S01E01" episode, in the same way that movie deleted scenes are associated with a movie.

I have actually created additional episodes in metadata for Friends, as TVDB doesn't support DVD and Blu-Ray extras and never will. It is quite time consuming and annoying that there is no online database that deals with this information.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
funwithmedia

I have actually created additional episodes in metadata for Friends, as TVDB doesn't support DVD and Blu-Ray extras and never will. It is quite time consuming and annoying that there is no online database that deals with this information.

Yeah, I'd love for their to be an online DB for all DVD/Blu-Ray extras!!

And thanks for your support of my idea / feature request! :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
interman

Thank you, from the programmers to the users, to the contributors. 

I would like put my 2 cents in. I like this idea and it makes sense. 

In order of my preference:

1. I would settle for having the extras (specials as it is named now) under each Season. I have two examples. ST: Voyager has ~13 extras per season, so that is 91 extras in the Season 0 folder. Law & order has about 5-7 per season but has 20+ seasons, so 100-140 extras. That is a lot to page through.

2. I would also settle for having the extras folders NOT scanned and updated from online. Since there is no DB for this, at least have them not updatable. Maybe pull from the title. When put in Season 0, they are scanned and are trying to be identified as episodes. 

3. From there, it would just be nice to see the folders (as labeled by "funwithmedia" in the original post) under each season. I do not mind putting the extras in the right folders and labeling them, so just having them in the seasons under a folder would be amazing. 

Thanks for the consideration. And "funwithmedia" needs more loving, so like his posts (LOL).

Don

Edited by interman
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
funwithmedia

1. I would settle for having the extras (specials as it is named now) under each Season. I have two examples. ST: Voyager has ~13 extras per season, so that is 91 extras in the Season 0 folder. Law & order has about 5-7 per season but has 20+ seasons, so 100-140 extras. That is a lot to page through.

2. I would also settle for having the extras folders NOT scanned and updated from online. Since there is no DB for this, at least have them not updatable. Maybe pull from the title. When put in Season 0, they are scanned and are trying to be identified as episodes. 

3. From there, it would just be nice to see the folders (as labeled by "funwithmedia" in the original post) under each season. I do not mind putting the extras in the right folders and labeling them, so just having them in the seasons under a folder would be amazing. 

Thanks for the consideration. And "funwithmedia" needs more loving, so like his posts (LOL).

Don

Thanks for your comments and Likes! :)

Neat idea and it's stuff like this, the little things, that tend to make something really 'special'.

Thanks for the support! :)

• Like 1

Napsterbater

Don

This ^

This would be great.

Maybe even keep both, the Specials Folder just for Specials that would be in the TVDB and such and work as they currently do.

And add logic for an Extras folder for TV Show DVD Extras, and either ignore them in terms of looking for metadata online (TVDB, etc) or make it configurable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
DerrickM

Any update on this? I would be very happy to be able to associate specific extras with the season they belong to without having them show up as an episode. Deleted Scenes are a particular nightmare. Hope to see this implemented soon.

funwithmedia

+1 Likewise

Thanks for the support, @@Rodiefs! It's helpful if you can also "Like" the first post in this thread, as that's one of the main ways the Devs track interest/demand for feature requests. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Baenwort

If this ever comes to fruition, I hope someone starts up a extrasdb so that we can then start bothering Emby about adding that to automate the metadata for a feature they just added. 

funwithmedia

If this ever comes to fruition, I hope someone starts up a extrasdb so that we can then start bothering Emby about adding that to automate the metadata for a feature they just added. 

That (an Extras Online DB) would certainly be cool (for both movie and tv extras)!

• Like 1