Linux noob needs help. (Path for external drive)

heciruam

heciruam

Sorry I should have given more information:

I have this internal drive that is auto mounted in media/user/"drive". I want Emby server to have access to this drive. Now I'm not sure if I can leave it there and tell Emby to go look there or if I have to mount this one in fstab as I had to do with external NTFS drives.

tdiguy

I have this internal drive that is auto mounted in media/user/"drive". I want Emby server to have access to this drive. Now I'm not sure if I can leave it there and tell Emby to go look there or if I have to mount this one in fstab as I had to do with external NTFS drives.

As long as it is mounted before the emby server is started and emby has the right permissions for it you should be able to use it. For my setup i have a ext4 drive mounted to /media/emby that i use but since i am paranoid about editing the fstab i have a script i use in rc.local to mount the drive. If you mount the drive after emby has started assuming you have the permissions correct you can restart emby and it should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

In the emby perspective, would be enough to see you drive mounted under same path, when emby starts....despite the way how you will achieve this.

Best way is fstab, as it mount the drives on a erly system load phase, just before begin to start .. and anyway you already have the record there for ntfs-based drive.

the proper way would be to use fstab

• 1 year later...
Brainiac

I realize this is an old post but wanted to share my experience for those that are more comfortable with a GUI.  I recently started using pop os and was trying get my ember server running.  I tried following the instructions found in this post but after failing I tried a different approach.  I had done it in the past using Linux Mint but couldn't remember what I had done to make it work.  I was pretty sure it was through a GUI so after experimenting I succeeded.  What I have done is used the app Gnome disk.  Depending on the distro you use, many of them come with it by default and if you don't have it you usually can install it easily with the software manager that comes with your distro.  Once in the app I selected the drive where my movies are stored, clicked on the little cog wheels and chose (edit mount options).  Then I just toggled the option at the top that allows you to make changes; in my case it was labeled (user session defaults).  Then I checked (mount at startup).  Of course, you should make sure the drive is already mounted (just to be sure).  After doing this I was able to select my media folder while adding libraries in the emby server settings.  Mine was in /mnt/048247D88247CCBC/movies.  Obviously the series of numbers is the UUID of my NTFS drive.  If you have more than 1 drive like me, repeating the above steps in Gnome disk will have such a result that more drives will be available when you try to add libraries in /mnt.  Hope this helps,  cheers!

Edited by Brainiac

SHSPVR

I realize this is an old post but wanted to share my experience for those that are more comfortable with a GUI.  I recently started using pop os and was trying get my ember server running.  I tried following the instructions found in this post but after failing I tried a different approach.  I had done it in the past using Linux Mint but couldn't remember what I had done to make it work.  I was pretty sure it was through a GUI so after experimenting I succeeded.  What I have done is used the app Gnome disk.  Depending on the distro you use, many of them come with it by default and if you don't have it you usually can install it easily with the software manager that comes with your distro.  Once in the app I selected the drive where my movies are stored, clicked on the little cog wheels and chose (edit mount options).  Then I just toggled the option at the top that allows you to make changes; in my case it was labeled (user session defaults).  Then I checked (mount at startup).  Of course, you should make sure the drive is already mounted (just to be sure).  After doing this I was able to select my media folder while adding libraries in the emby server settings.  Mine was in /mnt/048247D88247CCBC/movies.  Obviously the series of numbers is the UUID of my NTFS drive.  If you have more than 1 drive like me, repeating the above steps in Gnome disk will have such a result that more drives will be available when you try to add libraries in /mnt.  Hope this helps,  cheers!

Got any step by step and screenshot I to am on PoP!-OS

Edited by SHSPVR

Cthalpa

A sticky or wiki would be awesome (perhaps just for major distros like Fedora/Ubuntu/Manjaro).

It would be even better to have some instructions able to sort it out for both Emby and Plex installations.

Sorry but I'm a very incompetent Linux user, no able to help...

Why would, or better yet - should, Emby community create stickys on how to mount external drives in operating systems?

Read the man.

tdiguy

I often find it is easy to find tutorials on almost anything linux through the command line, the bash shell is one of those things that seems almost univeral in the linux world https://www.howtogeek.com/331053/how-to-mount-removable-drives-and-network-locations-in-the-windows-subsystem-for-linux/

this tutorial explains a great deal of the operations when it comes to mounting and unmounting a drive weather it be local or remote and more.

Brainiac

Got any step by step and screenshot I to am on PoP!-OS

Open Disk(gnome-disk) and select the drive where your media are stored.  Mount the drive where your media are stored by pressing the little play button.  Then click on the little cog wheels and choose (edit mount options).

5ecc46f28dfa1_Screenshotfrom202005251811

Then just toggled the option at the top that allows you to make changes (user session defaults).  Then check (mount at startup).  

5ecc4719ec40b_Screenshotfrom202005251812

Go in your emby server settings by typing: http://localhost:8096/ in a browser, choose library and then new library.  Select the media folder where your media is stored.  Mine was in /mnt/048247D88247CCBC/movies.

5ecc472eade6c_Screenshotfrom202005251814

Edited by Brainiac
  • Like 1

SHSPVR

Open Disk(gnome-disk) and select the drive where your media are stored.  Mount the drive where your media are stored by pressing the little play button.  Then click on the little cog wheels and choose (edit mount options).

Thanks but I change the my to mount point as I didn't want that long string name folder make it easyer work with mergerfs setup that take all day and what fun ;) that was finding the right command line setup for fstab with how I want it to work so now that I have NextPVR Linux being used as M3U Tuner and Emby as TV part.