Photo

Linux noob needs help. (Path for external drive)

path linux

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 horizonbrave OFFLINE  

horizonbrave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 12:33 PM

Posted 13 September 2018 - 01:04 AM

@Luke I don't know how many times this needs to be mentioned before it gets sticked.

A sticky or wiki would be awesome (perhaps just for major distros like Fedora/Ubuntu/Manjaro).

It would be even better to have some instructions able to sort it out for both Emby and Plex installations.

Sorry but I'm a very incompetent Linux user, no able to help...

Edited by horizonbrave, 13 September 2018 - 01:05 AM.

#22 EODCrafter OFFLINE  

EODCrafter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • Local time: 11:33 PM
  • LocationSouthEastern USA

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:29 PM

A sticky or wiki would be awesome (perhaps just for major distros like Fedora/Ubuntu/Manjaro).

It would be even better to have some instructions able to sort it out for both Emby and Plex installations.

Sorry but I'm a very incompetent Linux user, no able to help...

People still wouldn't read it and ask for help, but at least we could just reference the Sticky!

• horizonbrave likes this

#23 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 126752 posts
  • Local time: 12:33 AM

Posted 13 September 2018 - 10:12 PM

Yes I agree, thanks.

• horizonbrave likes this

#24 heciruam OFFLINE  

heciruam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Local time: 06:33 AM

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:32 PM

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
sudo groupadd movies
sudo usermod -aG movies emby
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/media/disk1
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/media/disk2
echo "UUID=A04A15444A15189C /mnt/media/disk1 ntfs-3g permissions,nofail,auto 0 0" | sudo tee --append /etc/fstab
echo "UUID=C8FC8DF0FC8DD8D8 /mnt/media/disk2 ntfs-3g permissions,nofail,auto 0 0" | sudo tee --append /etc/fstab

# Verify that "cat /etc/fstab" has the following at the end:
# UUID=A04A15444A15189C /mnt/media/disk1 ntfs-3g permissions,nofail,auto 0 0
# UUID=C8FC8DF0FC8DD8D8 /mnt/media/disk2 ntfs-3g permissions,nofail,auto 0 0

# Also make sure that /mnt/media, /mnt/media/disk1 and /mnt/media/disk2 are all empty directories.

sudo reboot
sudo chown -R root:movies /mnt/media
sudo chmod -R u+rwX /mnt/media
sudo chmod -R g+rwX /mnt/media
sudo chmod -R o+rX /mnt/media
sudo systemctl restart emby-server

Sorry for taking your time again but how would I do this with a non-NTFS-drive but one that is formated in ext4:

/dev/sdb1: LABEL="2tb_seagate" UUID="ff97d280-ee59-4ddb-89b4-743f1c0dc0e1" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="000ebca0-01"

#25 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 126752 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 01:27 PM

What exactly are you trying to do?

#26 heciruam OFFLINE  

heciruam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Local time: 06:33 AM

Posted 20 April 2019 - 03:42 PM

Sorry I should have given more information:

I have this internal drive that is auto mounted in media/user/"drive". I want Emby server to have access to this drive. Now I'm not sure if I can leave it there and tell Emby to go look there or if I have to mount this one in fstab as I had to do with external NTFS drives.

#27 tdiguy OFFLINE  

tdiguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1119 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:13 AM

I have this internal drive that is auto mounted in media/user/"drive". I want Emby server to have access to this drive. Now I'm not sure if I can leave it there and tell Emby to go look there or if I have to mount this one in fstab as I had to do with external NTFS drives.

As long as it is mounted before the emby server is started and emby has the right permissions for it you should be able to use it. For my setup i have a ext4 drive mounted to /media/emby that i use but since i am paranoid about editing the fstab i have a script i use in rc.local to mount the drive. If you mount the drive after emby has started assuming you have the permissions correct you can restart emby and it should be fine.

#28 Simca OFFLINE  

Simca

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:31 AM

In the emby perspective, would be enough to see you drive mounted under same path, when emby starts....despite the way how you will achieve this.

Best way is fstab, as it mount the drives on a erly system load phase, just before begin to start .. and anyway you already have the record there for ntfs-based drive.

the proper way would be to use fstab

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users