Tone-mapping in transcoding HDR for playback on SDR screens??

griffindodd
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Thanks @softworkzthat worked. Guess QSV support is not fully ready yet? Or is intel going full VAAPI support instead of QSV on linux now?

edit: it kinda works, some movies falling back to software mode. If i tell VAAPI to use openCL I get the same green artifact screen as before using QSV but transcodes do not fail to software.

ffmpeg-transcode-vaapi-fail.txt

Edited by weble

29 minutes ago, weble said:

Guess QSV support is not fully ready yet? Or is intel going full VAAPI support instead of QSV on linux now?

None of the above actually. Decoding a video involves multiple steps, the first one being "parsing" of the bitstream.

In case of QSV, you give the full bitstream to QSV for decoding.
In case of VAAPI, ffmpeg does the parsing and VAAPI is doing "just" the rest.

There's some issue in QSV (MSDK) parsing of certain files. I think it's time to submit a sample to them for getting this fixed.
Do you have a short snippet (20-30s) you could share publicly?
It should not contain copyrighted content. What would be OK is some movie intro showing the studio logo animations or similar.

1 hour ago, weble said:

Ah thanks for the info, glad your on top of it! Not sure what I could send in since every movie is copyrighted.

1 hour ago, softworkz said:

What would be OK is some movie intro showing the studio logo animations or similar.

It depends on the container format. When it's *.ts, you can just truncate the file at a certain point. In case of mp4 or mkv, I could post an ffmpeg command.

ffmpeg.exe -i input.mkv -ss 30 -to 50 -c:v copy -c:a copy output.mkv

This creates a 20s video starting from second 0:00:30 until 0:00:50

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mattsteg said:

How do you enable tonemapping?  I see no options for it in the web gui Emby Web 4.6.7.0.

Near the bottom of Settings-Transcoding.

image.png.ac8c0944e43608da0d00d78d7c3697be.png

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, mattsteg said:

Where?

image.png.4c14be383e845941aaa2a20f9afdd155.png

Should be just above subtitle extraction, as it is on every one of my systems.

image.png.c5f223f20d41426cd149d1fa42b83765.png

So would have to ask what client you are using.  

mattsteg
Just now, Happy2Play said:

Should be just above subtitle extraction, as it is on every one of my systems.

image.png.c5f223f20d41426cd149d1fa42b83765.png

So would have to ask what client you are using.  

The web client /web/index.html#!/transcoding

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, mattsteg said:

The web client /web/index.html#!/transcoding

Minus your browser throwing console errors I am not sure as all my 4.6.7.0+ systems have the option.

At the same time HWA and Tone-mapping require Premiere, but you should still see the option.

mattsteg
3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Minus your browser throwing console errors I am not sure as all my 4.6.7.0+ systems have the option.

At the same time HWA and Tone-mapping require Premiere, but you should still see the option.

It occurs in both chrome and firefox.  I have some restrictive security settings enabl4ed in firefox but nothing abnormal in chrome.  I can see the hardware acceleration option (which I don't really, at least for non-tonemapping cases) but nothing about tonemapping.

On a side-note, it can be very frustrating to attempt to figure out the value proposition offered by premiere and what features are locked-out.

mattsteg
8 minutes ago, softworkz said:

He could install the Diagnostic plugin and look at the page with the detailed tone mapping options.

I get this:

image.thumb.png.8a820bdacdf71ede7444657f460c915e.png

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mattsteg said:

I get this:

image.thumb.png.8a820bdacdf71ede7444657f460c915e.png

Can you post a server log, but there would appear to be something wrong with your install?

Do you have the same issue if you logged in with the online client, app.emby.media.

mattsteg
8 minutes ago, softworkz said:

That doesn't list tonemapping, and also lists some features which *appear* to be available to me without premiere (i.e. webhooks)

Not quite being satisfied with the playback in the native app on shield (in particular, transcoding media that I'd been able to direct-play with SPMC/Kodi was a complete showstopper on my older server - less of an issue but still a bummer at times now) and not really caring about the bulk of the premiere options has kept me from buying in, but I really should support the project and appreciate the heck out of your responsiveness here.

mattsteg
12 minutes ago, softworkz said:

Could you please post the server log and hw detection log?

What hw and OS are you running Emby server on?

I'm running on Truenas core, and did install via the plugin they have which I know can get weird at times.  hardware is a dell 720xd server with 2x E5-2690 v2.  curious to what extent software tonemapping is usable.

hardware_detection-63778127058.txt embyserver.txt

Edited by mattsteg

OK thanks

You're not seeing tone mapping because you're on BSD, where we have only a regular ffmpeg version available. Hence no tone mapping.

But this is changing right now. Actually today(!) there has been an important milestone achieved, and when all things go well, the next beta (.21) might already include our own ffmpeg on BSD.