Bring support for internal equalizers

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

I love listening to my music using my android phone with Emby android app, but currently the app lacks support for internal equalizers, my phone has one and I would like to take advantage of it.

• Like 5

Richard Branches

Hi, what phone and android version is this?

Lenovo A2010-I with android 5.1, in apps like google play music I'm able to select the internal equalizer in settings, I hope emby has the same support too.

speedingcheetah

Other option...root and install Viper4Android FX sound mod.  That is a system wide EQ that affects all apps. Its awesome!

Richard Branches

Other option...root and install Viper4Android FX sound mod.  That is a system wide EQ that affects all apps. Its awesome!

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway, I also want them to bring support because I will buy a Sony Xperia XZ and the clearaudio+ option is very good.

• 1 year later...
Richard Branches

I've got another phone, it's a Samsung Galaxy J1, it has internal equalizer settings, and I wish I could go to Emby settings and select the option, just like in this screenshot for Google Play Music:

5c7be7089f8d0_Screenshot1.png

Edited by delacosta78

• 1 year later...
Richard Branches

The new PlexAmp app created only for music has support for internal equalizers found in some Android phones (see below screenshot), I hope Emby app doesn't get behind with this necessary option...

5ea1c9484e288_EqualizerSupport.png

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I actually second this. There are some amazing equalizers out there that can be installed from the Play Store, and it's unfortunate that I can't take advantage of them. One of them being PowerAmp's new equalizer app as well as a few others.

I am personally trying to shift my use of local media players in favor of having just one and that's the Emby client for Android. Is there any status on supporting such a feature?

The latest update to our Android app uses the system audio player now so I would think you'd have a better chance with this.

Doesn't seem to be working. I'm also running the latest beta of the Android app.

Is there a particular trigger / way of forcing use of an external equalizer in the latest update? Similar to Play Music / Youtube Music and PlexAmp as above.

Richard Branches
4 hours ago, Luke said:

The latest update to our Android app uses the system audio player now so I would think you'd have a better chance with this.

The latest stable or beta?

How can I access the equalizer?

There is no equalizer in the app. I just mean that it might respect the system one although I haven't tested this myself.

Richard Branches

Yes, I know, what I meant is if the app now has access to the internal equalizer and how do I access it.

• 4 months later...
Richard Branches

This a mockup I hope you take into account:

Pressing the cog icon at the bottom of the "Now Playing" screen brings a current menu with some options, there is an "Aspect Ratio" option that I wonder what could do on music playback and it could be replaced by the "Equalizer" option, so when I tap on that, the hidden equalizer of my phone (and other people's Android phones) appears. It's important to clarify (again) that this option shouldn't appear when the phone doesn't have an internal equalizer like LG phones:

1003223727_Equalizermockup.thumb.png.6450b81a6b0497f666724b0ecbc44d67.png

Edited by Richard Branches
  • Agree 1

I don't have Android.. but I do suggest more band frequencies... ( I use 32 + 10[sometimes] myself in Winamp )... and setup for several system ( for Windows Systems ).. allows for some really great sound changes and quality. Fine tuning.. Like a board in setup or studio... ( sound engineering aspect ).. Would be cool integration for the rest too..

WINAMP EQ PLUGIN

04_22.2021_220437.jpg.627c7b67f184c1fe4b5f1ef1ca6aae55.jpg

EQUALIZER APO

1.thumb.png.8c334db8ab24b75eca8037834b9e2b65.png

Richard Branches
7 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

I don't have Android.. but I do suggest more band frequencies...

That depends on the equalizer every phone has internally but there are some available in the Play Store that could improve the sound in the phone, still the option to access it is needed.

An equalizer on Windows could be installed as a global equalizer and it should affect every audio playback including Emby.

You know that is one of the reasons I hate Bluetooth connections... Except my JayBird Freedoms.. ( I had to use my Mom's phone to set the EQ - Love the EQ in there though )..

and Yes the global does work.. I wind up with about four total options.. between the options for the device I am using for output... WAVES as it is called.. RealTEK options... The AVR it runs through.. Global again for the whole system output and programmatic options, plugin, and extensions.. My Windows Phone has an EQ that works in it in the settings hidden in the back but only works for jack output.. and not for Bluetooth..

With all of this however the individual sound output of each program and/or app would cause me to have to adjust each time... So I see this of value as well... from that standpoint.. and individual listening preferences. Which from song to song.. I sometimes wind up working it like a board anyway.. :P 

( Even differences in ages - frequency impedance within the range, because of that factor.. plus sound quality they are used to.. ) I can hear 20,000 Hz and better while my parents may not and frequency ranges which have been more pronounced over the years they are used to hearing they need louder to hear the same things.. a combination of sensitivity and clarity and a few other factors.. such as wearing of the bones and muscle tissue within the ear being the majority of sound exist within certain ranges... in our world.

• 3 months later...
timlance

Longtime Subsonic user here who loves his iOS app 'play:Sub'. But Subsonic is abandonware and I have little hope it that Apple's walled garden will see Subsonic die.

I've been messing with Plex and the PlexPass only Plexamp almost does it for me. It has a rudimentary equalizer. But it's doing some weird sh!t with my library and so I found my way to Emby. I like it quite a bit, considering. I saw the thread re: music specific app and so +1 for that.

But I need that equalizer. It is a must! One time I'll be playing solo instrument chamber music, the next System of a Down. And in between there's no telling!

At the beginning of this thread Luke said an equalizer was a "possibility for the future". Any closer than three years ago?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...
wordlover

Bumping this. Even a simple, 5 band  built-in Emby equalizer - like Plex has, like WinAmp has - would be very good to have. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Bumping this again because I agree it is totally essential. It's the main reason I rarely bother using Emby on iOS for mobile/headphone listening. I honestly still use an external mp3 player simply because it has a 5 band equalizer built in.

visproduction

Graphic EQ is popular to quickly tweak playback to solve audio issues.  For an audiophile result, it's better to upgrade original audio quality, use better D to A converter, better amp, headphones, speakers.  Obviously this costs more, but then you hardly need a graphic EQ anymore. 

Working in speaker design and sound recording, the job is to make the audio flawless.  I mention this because the side effect is I find that I can not listen to any mp3 even at the high bit rate.  I can listen to either CD player with tubes or a tube amp, LP's. I can also listen to highest bandwidth possible flac on very nice speakers or top headphones and that's it. 

Graphic EQ, yes it works. The downside is it won't really work all the time and you could spend a lot of effort tweaking the settings for each type of music.  That's why there are presets. 

You might say you can't hear this type of audio upgrade, but you can.  Top audio playback is easy to listen to for many hours. Compressed audio and heavy EQ is tiring to listen to, after even one hour.  I listen to music at home, in the car and with a portable Fiio player which can handle up to 192 kbps and it has only .wav or flac on it. There is no EQ set on any of these.

Studio and home theater sometimes uses EQ that is tuned for a room.  This shows up in top AV amplifiers or very expensive studio gear.  Usually, sound studios avoid doing this and instead, fix the room.  Sound recording engineers also avoids EQ and instead change a microphone or fix cubical / room acoustics.  If you build home theaters professionally, the only EQ set is a stand alone unit or inside the AV amp, tuned to the room and never again touched.

Anyway, I just wanted to add some perspective.  EQ is popular.  People love it, fine.  If you upgrade instead.  It works for everything and sounds better.

Edited by visproduction

Richard Branches
8 hours ago, visproduction said:

Fiio player which can handle up to 192 kbps and it has only .wav or flac on it. There is no EQ set on any of these.

Smartphones with a high res DAC don't have equalizers built-in to preserve the audio quality, the rest of phones need it to at least compensate the quality that is output from those non-high res DACs, that's why it is a good idea to have access to the built-in equalizer available in many smartphones through the Emby app.