Special episodes are not supported by "Next Up" row

Richard Branches

Happy2Play

So it's correct in the web app?

As the images shows Next Up shows S01E01 instead of the first Special.  So manual selection is required depending on where you hit play from.  In the web client if you hit play at library view or Series level the server will start with Specials, but next up start S01E01.

Right ok. I don't believe we have ever incorporated specials into next up. i will have to verify that.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play do you think there is an issue here?

There might be on the Android TV as ebr mentioned this post also

But it is a matter of whether Next Up should show Specials if they exist prior to any Season.

• 1 month later...
Richard Branches

Looks like the issue is with the thetvdb.com scrapper API or whatever you use to fetch the data, on Kodi I found the same issue, I set the app to auto select the first aired episode or special, so for example, in the screenshot the first episode aired on this TV show was the episode one in the specials folder, however, the app is selecting instead the episode one of the first season, I wonder if you can report this:

5ab978588efe9_kodi.png

Happy2Play

Looks like the issue is with the thetvdb.com scrapper API or whatever you use to fetch the data, on Kodi I found the same issue, I set the app to auto select the first aired episode or special, so for example, in the screenshot the first episode aired on this TV show was the episode one in the specials folder, however, the app is selecting instead the episode one of the first season, I wonder if you can report this:

5ab978588efe9_kodi.png

Is that how the specials are named?  If so that is a improper naming scheme.  I would guess they are not properly identified.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming#specials

Edited by Happy2Play

Richard Branches

Is that how the specials are named?  If so that is a improper naming scheme.  I would guess they are not properly identified.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming#specials

No, that's how the app displays the names of the episodes, every single file is name like this:

tv show name - SXXEXX - name of the episode (optional) where the XX represent the season/episode numbers.

That's how all my files are named.

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

On Emby, "Next Up" is not picking the first episode of the specials but the first episode of the first season, however, the next episodes appear to be the correct ones, tv shows with specials as the first aired ones are having this problem.

Happy2Play

As the images shows Next Up shows S01E01 instead of the first Special.  So manual selection is required depending on where you hit play from.  In the web client if you hit play at library view or Series level the server will start with Specials, but next up start S01E01.

Right ok. I don't believe we have ever incorporated specials into next up. i will have to verify that.

@@Happy2Play do you think there is an issue here?

If "Display specials within seasons they aired in" is enabled, one would expect they would appear in Next Up properly.  But as already quote above currently it is a matter of where you hit play in the web client.

I would suspect every client handles Specials in there own way.

Edited by Happy2Play

Richard Branches

If "Display specials within seasons they aired in" is enabled, one would expect they would appear in Next Up properly.  But as already quote above currently it is a matter of where you hit play in the web client.

I would suspect every client handles Specials in there own way.

You don't understand, the first episode of the special that was the first ever aired is completely ignored inside the next up list, it doesn't appear anywhere but inside specials because that's its obvious location, but if we use the "next up" button to start playback I should notice that something is not right with the sequence of the show, it's common sense I guess...

Happy2Play

You don't understand, the first episode of the special that was the first ever aired is completely ignored inside the next up list, it doesn't appear anywhere but inside specials because that's its obvious location, but if we use the "next up" button to start playback I should notice that something is not right with the sequence of the show, it's common sense I guess...

Is that now what I said here and Luke acknowledged?

Richard Branches

Is that now what I said here and Luke acknowledged?

I insist there is a problem with the thetvdb.com scraper and not with emby because on kodi is the same.

Richard Branches

Something I haven't said, after I played that wrong episode guess what happened? the next episode was the second one of the special, I gonna try to record a video to show you how wrong it behaves.

Richard Branches

Even worse, after I played that video the next to start automatically was the second episode of the special but if I hit stop and go back, "next up" shows the second episode of the first season, so it seems it's completely ignoring the specials if they were aired before the first season, I'm gonna check this on kodi as well.

Happy2Play

Yes there is a issue with Next Up not showing Specials as Next Up (as Luke has acknowledged). Playing the episodes does play Specials in the correct order if "Play next episode automatically" is enabled (at least in web client). 

As seen here

5ab998e14216d_next.jpg

5ab998fe59e7e_Series.jpg

The issue is you have to select the first Special you want to watch and with "Play next episode automatically" Emby will play everything in order.   (at least in the web client)

Special-E01-Special-E02-Special-E03

5ab99a4cbb040_display.jpg

@@Luke is this something that can be updated for Specials to shown in "Next Up" and tied to "Display specials within seasons they aired in"?

Edited by Happy2Play

• 9 months later...
Richard Branches

I was expecting any improvement or a fix about this on the new 4.0 server but nothing... humm...  :(

Happy2Play

It is on a list but was not part of the improvements that went into v4. 

"It's planned for the future"

Richard Branches

It is on a list but was not part of the improvements that went into v4. 

"It's planned for the future"

Thanks for letting me know so I won't complain anymore...

• 2 months later...
Richard Branches

Hello, in latest Android TV app version 1.6.96 I found this

• Fix no specials in sequential episode playback:

Does it have anything to do with what we've been discussing here?. I wonder because I still see the problem in the app and in the web app as well.

Thanks.

Hello, in latest Android TV app version 1.6.96 I found this

• Fix no specials in sequential episode playback:

Does it have anything to do with what we've been discussing here?. I wonder because I still see the problem in the app and in the web app as well.

Thanks.

No, that is related to this: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71428-specials-get-skipped-on-atv/

Richard Branches

Oh, but it's something similar, in this topic I'm talking about any special episode being "skipped" when they were aired BEFORE the first season... on that topic they were skipped when they were aired BETWEEN or AFTER the first season...

Hope my topic gets fixed pretty soon... :)