Why the Android TV translation is poor compared to the Android mobile version?

Richard Branches
Go to solution Solved by Richard Branches,

Richard Branches

I noticed the Android TV is poorly translated to my native language (spanish) but the mobile version is better translated, I would like to know how I can contribute to improve it.

Richard Branches

Just sign up and go for it.

http://oshotim.oneskyapp.com/collaboration

I have a question though, I'm already in the languages page, there are different spanish versions but spanish for united states is missing, how can I create a new one? I'm asking because that's the language I have set on my device, so I assume that's the reason why the translation is poor because that language is not there yet.

mastrmind11

I have a question though, I'm already in the languages page, there are different spanish versions but spanish for united states is missing, how can I create a new one? I'm asking because that's the language I have set on my device, so I assume that's the reason why the translation is poor because that language is not there yet.

No idea.  Maybe try posting here:  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/5727-join-our-translation-team/

Richard Branches

I would just use the "es" Spanish. Thanks.

I don't want to use that "es", that's why I'm asking. Is it possible?

Not every single combination of language and region are available (that would be a lot of translations ;)).

Can you confirm that the device will allow you to set a language of Spanish and a region of US?

Richard Branches

Not every single combination of language and region are available (that would be a lot of translations ;)).

Can you confirm that the device will allow you to set a language of Spanish and a region of US?

The device has two options for spanish: Español (Estados Unidos)(US) and Español (España)(ES).

I know I can select the latter and problem solved but that's not the point...

Okay, it probably makes sense to provide a es-US version but, instead of putting that in OneSky as a duplicate, I think I'll just manually copy it before distributing.

Thanks.

Richard Branches

Okay, it probably makes sense to provide a es-US version but, instead of putting that in OneSky as a duplicate, I think I'll just manually copy it before distributing.

Thanks.

Spanish is already duplicated there, you have:

- Español (México) [the only spanish version in my phone I can't change, that's why the app in my phone is better translated]

- Español (España)

- Español

- Español (Colombia)

The latter is where I live but it doesn't work for me or for almost any device in this country because ironically most of them only provide Español (US), Español (México) and Español (ES).

Edited by delacosta78

This app is going to choose the translation based on a combination of language and region settings on the device.  There is currently no override for this.

What are your device settings for these and what language are you getting in the interface?

Richard Branches

This app is going to choose the translation based on a combination of language and region settings on the device.  There is currently no override for this.

What are your device settings for these and what language are you getting in the interface?

On Android TV or at least on the Android TV device I'm using doesn't let me select the country where I'm located, only the two language options I quoted before, where I selected "Español (Estados Unidos)(US)". Please note the Xiaomi Mi Box is a certified device by google.

I'm sure many people had selected that language option ignoring that Emby uses the other one...

Edited by delacosta78

Okay, I just chose that setting and am getting Spanish translations.

My guess is it is using the straight "es" version since it cannot find "es-US".  Now, the app was behind on translations in general but most of them should be up to date now on OneSky (including all the new ones added to the current beta).

Thanks!

• 4 months later...
Richard Branches

Thanks.

Hello, I was wondering if you copied whatever you were going to copy? I've taken the time to translate all the spanish versions at OneSky and at least I deserve to have the es-US version, I don't use the es-ES because the play store shows Spain oriented apps rather than latinoamerica where I reside, so I hope you take this into consideration. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Richard Branches

I will do that with the next release.

Thanks.

It's not necessary now, with the new oreo update that arrived to the Mi Box recently now I see the full translation using the es-US, although it looks like it's using an old translation because I see old phrases that I changed at onesky to improve the equivalencies used in spanish language.

It's not necessary now, with the new oreo update that arrived to the Mi Box recently now I see the full translation using the es-US, although it looks like it's using an old translation because I see old phrases that I changed at onesky to improve the equivalencies used in spanish language.

The last beta included the es-US file I promised.

Richard Branches

The last beta included the es-US file I promised.

Thanks!  ;)