Shield and SMB1

PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

no sorry not on the Shield - but on your pc/server in windows - smb1 has a few "issues" and i have uninstalled it from my windows machines (apart from my laptop which still works with the shield)

i suspect the shield only has smb1 - so cannot be seen or connected to by a pc without smb1

The shield can see the windows machines though to map a share

• Like 1

Swynol

surprised the shield only works with SMB1 considering how main stream the shield is and how old SMB1 is.

i have a few small NAS boxes which only support SMB1, it sux.

PenkethBoy

Thanks

but as SMB1 is a security risk - enabling it is not a valid option

also i see that Plex has provided the smb1 code to Nvidia - which would explain why i could not get the shield to give me a password (for the smb connection) initially as i had disabled plex on my shield

WilhelmStroker

I agree with you, smb1 is extremely insecure so nvidea's advice is irresponsible to say the least. They should just add it, Googles smb client supports it...

Edited by WilhelmStroker

dcrdev

Most major Linux distros disable smb1 by default because of the gaping security holes in it... this is really surprising.

Can you not root the shield and mount natively?

PenkethBoy

i could - but cant be A$$'d with messing with that - it should just work out of the box - and not need a plex addon to work with smb1

the only reason i looked into it was to get a screenshot or two off the shield - and i thought accessing the shield directly was the easy choice......

actually the easy choice is probably use a usb thumb drive - so 2005! :)

CBers

I access my Shield from my Windows 10 PC.

I do it to grab screenshots to post here if/when I have a problem with the Emby ATV app.

• 3 weeks later...
dcrdev

Don't suppose anyone's got a workaround for this?

Mine's being delivered today after deciding it was the only viable box to replace my ageing htpc. SMB1 is absolutely not an option for me, so I'm hoping someone's figured out how to get native mounting working with a rooted device - either smb or nfs would do the trick,

PenkethBoy

Welcome to the Shield Family

No i have not found a way - not looked at it again as not had the need

If you do find a way please let us know :)

dcrdev

Seems the kernel doesn't have cifs support and the nfs kernel driver is limited to nfsv3, a lot of time wasted. Ended up running a second instance of samba in a docker container on a virtual interface, it only has access to directories that I consider public.

From what I hear Google is bringing smb3 support natively to Android 8, so hopefully when it lands I can dispose of the container.

Gotta say I'm loving this box:

• Kodi with the Emby addon works flawlessly.
  • Retroarch set up to access my ROM collection directly from my server.
  • Have home shortcuts to Netflix, Amazon, BBC  Android apps directly in Kodi.

Only things I'm not loving at the moment:

• The remote, that bloody capactitive volume slider - way way too sensitive! Also sometimes disconnects and I can't bring it back up, without waiting 5 mins or so.
  • I wish there was a way to use the "dim" screensaver in Kodi without disabling the Android system screensaver. When the system screensaver is activated any currently paused video in Kodi, just stops.

PenkethBoy

yes the volume slider is a pain

mine do not disconnect - getting any low battery warnings?

dcrdev

yes the volume slider is a pain

mine do not disconnect - getting any low battery warnings?

No the battery level reported in the settings panel, is "good" .

The disconnect seems to be predominantly when interchanging between the controller and remote (the former I tend to prefer for text entry) - I literally have to wait 5 mins or so to be able to use the remote again.

• 1 month later...
PenkethBoy

@@dcrdev - have a look at the andoid X-plorer app 

i have it on one of my Shields (with the plex smb1 app disabled) and can connect to my QNAP(smb3) with no issue

dcrdev

Yeah the issue stemmed from me wanting to mount it natively as I have a rather large rom collection so Storage Server + RetroArch = Awesomeness. Xplorer would require me to copy these roms to the device manually and some of these are several gigs in size.

PenkethBoy

ah ok

the occasional file transfer or screenshot copy - is what i use it for