Why the quality is set to 21Mb/s by default?

Richard Branches
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Richard Branches

On the Xiaomi Mi Box I noticed that high bitrate 1080p videos (untouched videos extracted from bluray) and 4K videos are getting transcoded because of that 21Mb/s limitation, after some testing I noticed that if I manually select the highest bitrate that appears on the quality menu, transcoding stops and the video starts to play directly, what bothers me is I have to do this every time I play those videos. This doesn't happen on Emby for Windows 10 app, it plays those videos without transcoding.

Is this an intentional limitation set by the developers?

is it something I can fix?

Isn't this supposed to be automatic?

When playback starts:

5a790403a9230_Screenshot1.jpg

Then I manually select the quality:

5a790422e5c4f_Screenshot2.jpg

Edited by delacosta78

• Solution

Hi.  Just change your setting from "Auto" to whatever you wish in the app settings screen and this will stick as the default.  The in-playback menu is designed for changes for just that playback experience (like a particular file isn't playing well so you want to change it to a different value).

We try to set the automatic default to published specs for each device to guarantee playback will work.

• Like 1

Richard Branches

Hi.  Just change your setting from "Auto" to whatever you wish in the app settings screen and this will stick as the default.  The in-playback menu is designed for changes for just that playback experience (like a particular file isn't playing well so you want to change it to a different value).

We try to set the automatic default to published specs for each device to guarantee playback will work.

Thank you, I set the quality to 100Mb/s and the transcoding issues are gone.

Edited by delacosta78