Android App GUI missing during playback

Ravenshield

Ravenshield

This issue is happening on Android Media TV boxes dubbed the RK8

Processor is a RK3368 Octa-core with a maximum clock speed of up to 1.5GHz. Use the PowerVR G6110 as GPU
2GB DDR3, with 8GB nand flash

Android 5.1.1

Using an air remote similar to the C120

Basically everything in the UI looks normal until you choose a video for playback. Play, Pause, everything doesn't show up.

The playback looks fine but you can't pause or anything

The air remote's mouse pointer is also gone.

Hitting the back button on the remote also freezes the system

We also have other android boxes line the less powerful MXQ and T95 series, but the program can't keep up with the playback. It also tends to just quit abruptly during playback. The UI works fine on those. Android 5.1 and 4.4, until it dies anyways

So the point of using the RK8 was the specs were better and it was atleast able to play files all the way through - just the UI is missing.

Logs are a little bit of a pain to get but if its the only way to figure out the issue then I could find some way to remote to the device

Both the official release and the beta build have the same issue.

Yeah, the mobile app is designed for a touch interface but generally should work with an air mouse type of pointer.

You could try to install the TV app (if the OS on the device is high enough) but this may or may not have issues as well depending on the actual implementation on the device.

Ravenshield

The app loads properly on older devices running KitKat. Same similar thing. Just with these RK8s it doesn't load.

It doesn't have an incoming signal so I don;t really need the Android TV app unless you think it would work better

• 2 weeks later...
Ravenshield

So Android TV UI Loads but it doesn't play anything. It just keeps asking me if the play back is missing audio or video. Clicking YES does nothing but put this in an endless loop of asking me the same question

You could try sending a log from the app but I suspect the box is just missing the necessary components for proper playback.

5.1.1 is the minimum level of Android the app will support but it only is expecting to see that on a Fire TV which is a special fork of the OS as well.

Ravenshield

Ok so the only way for me to use the Send Log thing is after I power cycle the device because without a UI I can't stop the media and the backout button on the remote just freezes the device

Is that going to work?

You don't need to power cycle the device if you can get to the home screen and then app management and just force-close the Emby app.

I think power cycling is going to blow away any information we may get unfortunately.

Ravenshield

I can't get back to the main screen when the UI doesn't show up. It freezes when I hit the back button on the remote.

I also can't see this debug option from the settings menu in the Android app.

5a8f7b6c4a111_20180222_211808.jpg

Ravenshield

These are Android boxes so I assume the Android App is the better choice. I don't have a tuner so the Live TV functionality is useless.

Ravenshield

The menu system on the left hand side of the Android TV app doesn't respond to the air mouse clicks. 

So how do we get logs from the Android App?

Edited by Ravenshield

The menu system on the left hand side of the Android TV app doesn't respond to the air mouse clicks. 

If this is the case it is something that will be beyond our control unfortunately.

Is there anyway to get Android logs for diagnostics?

Yes but it is different depending on which app you are talking about.

How to Report a Problem

Ravenshield

yeah they posted that link earlier. Android is not there. All I can do is post the server logs if they help at all?

yeah they posted that link earlier. Android is not there. All I can do is post the server logs if they help at all?

Are you talking about the mobile app or the TV app?

Which issue are you trying to diagnose?  The response to the mouse clicks in the TV app will be something outside of the app's control I'm almost positive if that's what you are trying to help with.

If you're using a mouse then you probably will want to use the mobile app. The next update to the app will have the familiar menu in the top left that i think will help you.

Ravenshield

This is the issue

>Basically everything in the UI looks normal until you choose a video for playback. Play, Pause, everything doesn't show up.

>The playback looks fine but you can't pause or anything

>The air remote's mouse pointer is also gone.

>Hitting the back button on the remote also freezes the system