Library not caching images

grimfandango

grimfandango

Hi, first of all I would like to say thank you, for all your hard work on this app.

I would like to make the move to xbmb3c from plexbmc and it is almost there.

All the movies and TV shows that I have tried play great, but I have a problem browsing movies where all the covers and backgrounds are slow to show, when scrolling all the posters are blank and will only load if I stay stationary on a item for a while.

I presume that I am doing something wrong, as this happens on xbmc running on: - whs, laptop, ouya, odroid u2 and nexus7 (I have not tried on the neo x5 yet). I have read somewhere that addon_data, plugin.video.xbmb3c should be full of images but on all devices they are near empty.

Thanks in advance for any help

Liam

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

xnappo

We now use XBMC's native caching system for images.  The cache will fill over time with usage and it will speed up.  

In very old versions, we had our own caching system and there we had a way to force it to cache - but that used a ton of disc space and images could not be dynamic.

xnappo

grimfandango

Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome.

I will set it up as the main addon on one of the boxes and when it is fully loaded I can just copy the user_data file to all the other builds (and the family will never know the difference)

Thanks again.

xnappo

Not sure if that will work - but if it does - great!  The file in question is userdata\Database\TexturesXX.db.

xnappo

elcabong

you want to copy the userdata\Database\TexturesXX.db and your userdata\Thumbnails folder to the other boxes.

Edited by elcabong

grimfandango

I use aeon nox with shift view, I have just under 800 movies. I have a whs2013 i3 processor with the front and backend on the same machine and then front end's on ouya, odroid u2, nexus 7 (2012), neo x5. I roughly the same results on all machines (that is why I thought it was something I was doing wrong) I can try it on the i7 PC and see how it goes.

The first 12 or so pages load fast this is but beyond this I have to wait anywhere up to 20 seconds for a page of covers to load if I want the backgrounds of the movies to cache I have to stay stationary on each cover for around 5 seconds, once I have done this they do load a bit quicker. I am a patient person so if I have to give it more time and go cover by cover to let all the images cache I will.

xnappo

Thanks for the quick reply and the welcome.

I will set it up as the main addon on one of the boxes and when it is fully loaded I can just copy the user_data file to all the other builds (and the family will never know the difference)

Thanks again.

Do you have this working now?

xnappo

grimfandango

Thanks for the help. It is caching if I leave it on each movie for a few seconds. How do I go about refreshing the library as I have edited some of the metadata for incorrect matches? I have tried refresh but non of the items are changing. Sorry for all the questions.

(Edit:The library is starting to cache but it is very slow in comparison to xbmc, xbmc mysql or plexbmc but it is still a wip and off to a very good start also)

Thanks again

Liam

Edited by grimfandango

grimfandango

Hi null_pointer

when you say you changed the meta data what did you actually change? did the images change on the server?

I Changed some foreign covers for English ones and some screen shots for covers. The images are showing as changed on the server and the android MB3 app.

With regards to the slow library I Will keep using it until it is going fast and copy the userdata folder to the other machines.

Thanks for the help. These are the fastest replies I have had on any forums.

Liam

Edited by grimfandango

• 1 month later...
dark_slayer

We now use XBMC's native caching system for images.  The cache will fill over time with usage and it will speed up.  

In very old versions, we had our own caching system and there we had a way to force it to cache - but that used a ton of disc space and images could not be dynamic.

The image caching is as good as it is going to get, it is using the built in XBMC image cache, XBMC only check for images when it needs to show them and if the image is not available locally them it grabs it form the remote source which in this case is MB3, once it has the image it stores it locally and will always use the local image from that point on.

This means the initial load and display of an image it you have never seen before will be slow as it has to come from the MB3 server but once XBMC has the image it should be much faster as from that point on it will grab the image form the local disk cache

Holy smokes, has it really been that long since I've tried XBMB3C?

Great progress on using the native image cache, but a couple questions

1. Did the xbmc image cache have a place for disc.png, clearart.png, and clearlogo.png? I know XBMCs scraper code does not have a way to pull those images with any of the available scrapers
  2. The actor images are cached for each title separately (i.e. having Bruce Willis cached in Die Hard doesn't guarantee you'll see his photo for the 4 sequels) - a more sensible central location has been asked for but nothing has ever come of it
  3. The native image cache can be updated with the refresh option found in most skins "Show Information" screens (per movie title, per episode, or full tv series at once) Does this option present itself when using XBMB3C? Does it refresh?

I would really like to throw all possible support behind this, but I couldn't get it working well enough to be my daily driver back when I was testing. It looks like I need to re-install MB3-server and try this out

Will the repository version of the add-on (Gotham Beta) already be using XBMCs image cache, or should I just install from git?

P.S. I wonder if anyone has tested this with OpenELEC. I have a shared mysql library currently, and the loading time on my OpenELEC client for images is ridiculously fast (specifically with things like recently added movies/episodes). I don't mind taking a long time for an initial library image cache, but I recall the cache was frequently re-built when I was using XBMB3C previously (like each time I went to "show information" and back)

Thanks for all the work that has gone into this, the pace of development has been so fast

xnappo

Holy smokes, has it really been that long since I've tried XBMB3C?

Welcome back - we have made a lot of progress indeed.

1. Did the xbmc image cache have a place for disc.png, clearart.png, and clearlogo.png? I know XBMCs scraper code does not have a way to pull those images with any of the available scraper

Yes - all art gets cached in Gotham. Keep in mind it will take some browsing to build up the cache.

Great progress on using the native image cache, but a couple questions

2. The actor images are cached for each title separately (i.e. having Bruce Willis cached in Die Hard doesn't guarantee you'll see his photo for the 4 sequels) - a more sensible central location has been asked for but nothing has ever come of it

We don't have actor images yet.  It is on our short list for the next release

3. The native image cache can be updated with the refresh option found in most skins "Show Information" screens (per movie title, per episode, or full tv series at once) Does this option present itself when using XBMB3C? Does it refresh?

I haven't tried it, but it should.

Probably go with the Git version.  It is in the process of being pushed to the official repo - should be there today or tomorrow.

XBMB3C works awesome with OpenElec.  The image caching is XBMC native now.  And you will never see an updating library dialog ever again.

IMHO it is now much much better than the cobbled together XBMC native stuff.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

dark_slayer

IMHO it is now much much better than the cobbled together XBMC native stuff.

xnappo

Thanks, couldn't agree more. Native XBMC metadata just doesn't seem to be interesting to them, because when the team focuses effort on a feature set they seem to deliver. Central metadata has been lacking for a long time though. This time when I install MB3 server, I may just let it see my whole library :)

This is the best thing I've heard in quite some time - you guys rock

Thanks, couldn't agree more. Native XBMC metadata just doesn't seem to be interesting to them, because when the team focuses effort on a feature set they seem to deliver. Central metadata has been lacking for a long time though. This time when I install MB3 server, I may just let it see my whole library :)

This is the best thing I've heard in quite some time - you guys rock

Welcome! Glad to see you here :)