Xbox One X + No 4K HEVC Direct Play or HDR!!!

utomi

Guest asrequested

If I was to build a HTPC would HDR work on windows 10 with HDR setting enabled with MPV player? I couldn't find any working ones yet in the forum but my search skills might be lacking. @

You won't need to futz around with windows HDR. They've made it difficult, anyway. MPV will handle all of the HDR, and tone map it to the picture. You just press play. Having said that, there are adjustments you can make, to tailor the picture to your taste.

BurntTech

It appears in the thread below the its converting HDR to SDR and tone mapping it? I might little new to figuring out this tech but my tv without the HDR metadata won't go into deep color mode on LG B7A OLED. I would "assume" I wouldn't get the contrast if the TV isn't in HDR/Deep Color. Does VLC player use tone mapping or does it leave it for TV to do? Hard to find resources on how clients and what data is sent to TVs. :-)

Notes from VLC: looks like they mention both "Supports HDR and HDR tone-mapping" then under filters has "HDR10 support in Direct3D11 with Windows 10 Fall Creator Update"

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5521

Edited by BurntTech

Guest asrequested

It appears in the thread below the its converting HDR to SDR and tone mapping it? I might little new to figuring out this tech but my tv without the HDR metadata won't go into deep color mode on LG B7A OLED. I would "assume" I wouldn't get the contrast if the TV isn't in HDR/Deep Color. Does VLC player use tone mapping or does it leave it for TV to do? Hard to find resources on how clients and what data is sent to TVs. :-)

Notes from VLC: looks like they mention both "Supports HDR and HDR tone-mapping" then under filters has "HDR10 support in Direct3D11 with Windows 10 Fall Creator Update"

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/5521

It's not converting to SDR. It uses Perceptual Quantization to map the HDR. If you try it, you'll see. VLC does the same thing.

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/6072

Edited by Doofus

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
jaketame

I also bought subcription to use emby on my XONEX.

Are there any news about this?

Thnaks.

I’m wanting to get a One X on Black Friday so hoping this is fixed!

BurntTech

Ok in this example the audio requires transcoding, but we should be able to get the video to stream copy. I will look into this. Thanks.

Any news on this guy i'm still not able to use xbox to play most 4k movies due to transcoding. I also have the problem most are also HDR since I only use MKV containers

FrostByte

@@FrostByte do you recall where this discussion was?

Well build 19H1 alpha skip ahead has this.  I haven't updated yet though :)

Display – Dolby Vision & HDR
  • Fixes to the performance of Dolby Vision for the Netflix App.
  • Fixes to ensure that HDR content is shown as HDR content and not SDR (Standard) content as some users were seeing in the Movies and TV app and the Netflix App.

jntaylor1701

I did try to playback my Matrix HDR rip and it seem to play well without the trans code; direct playback.  All of my rips are basic Dolby digital, not TrueHD.  (For best compatibility with other streamers.)

Will try more over the weekend.

FrostByte

Same here.  I find it will always direct play if AC3 is used (no lossless audio), the problem is that the Xbox is only sending SDR when it's actually HDR.

I'm hoping the HDR fix in the latest alpha skip release for insiders fixes things.  I will try to load this soon and test.  I have to get this garage thing put up right now though because it's already snowing here

I can direct play if selected AC3 audio (no hdr). But after 20s or so of playing it starts stuttering. It happens with all movies.

Does this happen with anyone else?

jntaylor1701

I can direct play if selected AC3 audio (no hdr). But after 20s or so of playing it starts stuttering. It happens with all movies.

Does this happen with anyone else?

For me, it just freezes.  No issues with my Shield TV.

BurntTech

Ya i'm not sure what is wrong with the xbox app, i'm not even able to play 1080 movies much anymore I had one that transcode(Audio not supported) which was complete for the whole movie and froze(hour and half in). Started a web session and it resumed correctly then paused it and went back to the xbox and still black screen and frozen. I did notice it go like 15 seconds forward and then jump back 5 second a few times and go forward 15 second and repeat that forever. Jurassic Park 4k (HDR10?) The issues are the video codec aren't supported so has to transcode the 4k video which well ends poorly. Deadpool 4k (HDR10) will direct play but has either video slow/fast play motion or audio glitch every 30s or so at some point it seems to balance out. John wick 4k (Dolby Vision) is also transcoding. 

jntaylor1701

Well, I played back my 4k movies via DLNA with the VLC and Movies and TV apps and the 4K played without issue.  I will use the Movies and TV app because it will show cover art.  (VLC is ugly and chunky)

This is not an XBOX issue, its an Emby issue.  (Playback is perfect on my Shield with Emby)

pclausen

Oh the irony.  I have been fighting HDR issues on my Shield (I have a non HDR 4K TV and playback of all my 4k HDR titles have muted colors because tone mapping doesn't work).  4k HDR titles play back perfectly on my HTPC running win 10 so tone mapping of HDR titles to SDR works perfectly fine there.

Sunday the Xbox One X went on sale for $399, so I picked one up.  Got home, unplugged the Shield and connected the One X in its place and installed ET.  Tried a regular BRD title, worked perfectly, tried a 4K HDR title and it was completely unwatchable and the video was very pixelated and moving at about 5 fps but audio was fine.

My Emby server (in sig) does not support HVEC transcode since it is Xeon based and there is no GPU in it (it sits headless in a server rack).

I guess I'll go back to using my HTPC for 4K movie playback.  Is this issue likely to be addressed at some point in the future?  

Edited by pclausen

jntaylor1701

After getting back from the holidays and getting some time to watch movies, I think this is an XBOX thing.  Now when I try to go back with PLEX, I got buffering on 4K and 1080p.  Perfect playback on my Shield.

So, I am going to hook up a Chromecast Ultra in the living room and just cast videos from Emby. 

FrostByte

I'm hoping the 19H1 skip ahead already has a fix for the issue.  I just haven't had the time to go back to the alpha builds on my XB1X.  Maybe someone else has it and can let us know

- Fixes to the performance of Dolby Vision for the Netflix App.
- Fixes to ensure that HDR content is shown as HDR content and not SDR (Standard) content as some users were seeing in the Movies and TV app and the Netflix App.

jntaylor1701

I am pretty much now watching movies via DLNA with VLC for the XBOX with Emby as the source; The Movies & TV app on the Xbox is buggy.  Its ugly but it works, no stutters or freezing with 1080p or 4K movies.  (Still get to enjoy the Emby pretty with my Nvidia Shield)

I really want Emby staff to work with Microsoft to figure this out.

Edited by jntaylor1701

I'm hoping the 19H1 skip ahead already has a fix for the issue.  I just haven't had the time to go back to the alpha builds on my XB1X.  Maybe someone else has it and can let us know

- Fixes to ensure that HDR content is shown as HDR content and not SDR (Standard) content as some users were seeing in the Movies and TV app and the Netflix App.

Still no HDR it plays direct play in SDR

FrostByte

Still no HDR it plays direct play in SDR

You're running the latest alpha skip ahead release, which is 19H1.04 think?

• 2 weeks later...
jntaylor1701

Thought I would go back and try again with movie playback with the XBOX ONE.  No issues with 1080p flicks.  Tried watching my 4K rip of The Meg.  (We love Shark flics)  It direct played but world freeze up.  I would hot the back button, click the resume and it went right back where it stopped.  Mush have done it 8 times or so.

Attaching the server log to help.  PLEASE FIX THIS Microsoft and/or Emby.  Getting real close to getting a ROKU Ultra.

Log 12-8-18.txt