XBOX 360 extender: "Could not connect to Media Browser 3 Server" Error

SteveV
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

SteveV

I've had MB3 Server and MBC working well for several months now.  MB3 Server is running on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box and MBC is running on a Windows 7 Pro x64 machine.  I'm looking to get rid of a couple of FiOS STBs and had an XBOX 360 kicking around so I decided to set it up as an extender.  Everything works fine and I can access shared folders on the Win Server 2008 box from the XBOX extender.

When  I try launching MBC on the extender, however, I get the following error:

ERROR

Could not connect to Media Browser 3 Server.

Please be sure it is running on the local network.

Would you like to re-try?

Re-trying makes no difference.  The firewall is turned off on the server and I'm using the default MB3 ports.  I can access the library from all machines on the network except the XBOX 360 extender.

Any ideas?

Thanks -- Steve

Edited by SteveV

ChristheRED!

I've had the same message with a similar setup.  My work around was to remove Trailers plugin and reset the server letting the start up media scan finish before opening MB3 on the Xbox.  I think the plugin was causing a timeout/stop error on the xbox.

7illusions

If you run the server with beta releases you can actually use your xbox360 without the need of having it as a extender.

Just enable the DLNA PlayTo features in the server and your xbox will show up in the webclient as a remote controllable player.

Eg. Select a movie, click remote and select your xbox.

SteveV

I've had the same message with a similar setup.  My work around was to remove Trailers plugin and reset the server letting the start up media scan finish before opening MB3 on the Xbox.  I think the plugin was causing a timeout/stop error on the xbox.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm not using the Trailers plugin.  It's a pretty bare bones setup plugin-wise.  I think the only plugin I'm using is the Covers plugin but will check tonight.

SteveV

If you run the server with beta releases you can actually use your xbox360 without the need of having it as a extender.

Just enable the DLNA PlayTo features in the server and your xbox will show up in the webclient as a remote controllable player.

Eg. Select a movie, click remote and select your xbox.

I'm using the xbox for Live TV and recorded TV so I need to use it as an extender.  Would be nice to have access to all my other content as well which is why the MB3 error is a drag.

Thanks -- Steve

JeremyFr79

This is probably a permissions issue with the mcx_n user on the host PC.

I would agree, I'm running a full Domain at home and host MBC on a Server2008R2 box, You'll need to enable your localserver/guest account (note not your domain guest account) and give it permissions to your shares that store your media so the XBox can access them.  However even before doing that MBC should connect fine to the server portion you just wouldn't be able to play any content from your library even though you'd be able to see the full library.  This is definitely an interesting issue.  Have you checked to make sure that MBS is setup in your server firewall (if you're running any) and the correct ports are open?

Edited by JeremyFr79

JeremyFr79

Sorry just re-read your post, have you tried unlinking your extender from your media center machine and deleting it's user account (usually mcx1-"machinename") on the media center and re-linking them?

SteveV

Sorry just re-read your post, have you tried unlinking your extender from your media center machine and deleting it's user account (usually mcx1-"machinename") on the media center and re-linking them?

I have "Everyone" and "Guest" accounts setup on the Windows Server 2008 and both accounts have read permissions on all the shares..  I also created a "MCX1-HTPC1" account on the server and gave the account read permission on all the server shares.  I can access my pictures and music on the extender which would seem to indicate the permissions are OK.  Further, I can access my recorded TV (the drive is on the WMC machine) which would seem to indicate the "MCX1-HTPC1" account on the WMC box is OK. 

If it was a permissions issue, I'd expect MB3 would run but be I'd be unable to access content on the shares with permissions issues.  Or am I off base here?

Also, the only plugin I have installed is the coverart plugin.

Thanks -- Steve

Edited by SteveV

Creating a user on the server with the same name as the extender user on the host pc I don't think is effective because there is no way to know what the password for the extender user is.  However, when I said permissions I was more thinking towards network communications (like a firewall on the host pc).  But, since I haven't seen a log from one of these sessions, I'm just guessing.

Removing and re-adding the extender was a good suggestion.  I've seen that clear up issues in the past.

JeremyFr79

Creating a user on the server with the same name as the extender user on the host pc I don't think is effective because there is no way to know what the password for the extender user is.  However, when I said permissions I was more thinking towards network communications (like a firewall on the host pc).  But, since I haven't seen a log from one of these sessions, I'm just guessing.

Removing and re-adding the extender was a good suggestion.  I've seen that clear up issues in the past.

EBR is correct, setting up an account with the same user name on the server will do you no good and you don't need to.  Like I said the odd thing is even with permissions screwed up, MBC should be able to connect to MBS and you'd be able to see your library, but nothing would play when you tried to play it.  The big issue I've run into in the past is with a domain after adding an extender after an hour or so (or next time GP updates) I lose connection between the extender and the WMC Host Machine, this is due to the mcx1-"etc" account getting removed from remote desktop users on the host machine, adding the user account into that group and fixing a local security policy setting permanantly fixes that, but that prevents all of media center from connecting.  By what you're describing you're getting to the main media center menu's just fine, but you can't launch MB3.  I'll say it again, I'd strongly suggest un-pairing the 360, and then deleting it's user account on the host machine and then re-pair them and see what happens.

SteveV

OK, I uninstalled the XBOX 360 extender from WMC (Tasks>Settings>Extender>Uninstall).  I looked for the "MCX1-HTPC1" user on the WMC host (Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Local Users and Groups>Users) but there was no such user.

Next, added the extender again, entered the 8 digit code in WMC and the extender install went without a hitch.  Alas, I get the same error when I try to launch MB3 on the extender.  On the WMC host, I still don't see the MCX1... user in the Local Users and Groups snap-in.  BTW, the Windows 2008 R2 Server does not have the Active Directory Domain Controller role installed so all of the machines on my network are workgroup members (all are in the default "WORKGROUP" workgroup) not domain members.

Any ideas?

Thanks -- Steve

SteveV

Yes, no problems with MBC on the WMC machine.  I've been running MBC on this machine since late December without any problems.

• Solution

Okay, then maybe there is something wrong with the connection information in the config file for the extender user.  Find the appdata\roaming folder for the mcx user on the machine and copy the MBCommonXml.config file from your normal user into that directory.

• Like 1

SteveV

Genius!  That took care to the error and I can now launch MBC from the extender.  I have other issues that I won't be able to look at until tomorrow.  Namely, I get playback errors warning me of missing codec or possibly corrupted files when I try to play back mp4 videos.  I'm also seeing "No Items" on a number of my MBS shares while the one with the MP4s correctly shows all of the share contents.

I'll post more details once I've had a closer look.

Thanks--Steve